PDA

View Full Version : Damo nails another router in Ebay...

damienhazo
6th April 2007, 01:56 AM
I got a mail from a guy asking me about a MOF 96 that was going for AUD300 and I told him it was too much. I sold 3 MOF96Es Type 2s with new bearings and fine height adjusters when I was back in Aussi for 200 a piece. Told him to orientate himself on the DeWalt 614 and 615...

Anyway, the MOF 96 is a great machine for those who don't need the variable speed (which is not often with 8mm bits). Got me to thinking about my AEG OF 50 sitting under the small Elu bench (the machines are the same) and my MOF 96E with the dovetail bit perfectly set. Would be nice to have one sitting around when I have to rout a hinge or whatever...

I came across this gem and whacked in a last second bid... She came today and voila - I don't think it's ever been used!

The glide base material hasn't got a single scratch! The plastic slides on the parallel guide are the same!

The 6 mm collet has never been taken out of the wrapping. There was a price on the box and a receipt inside. Someone paid 357 German Marks for it on the 25th of October 1978! That's around AUD300 - back then! Turned her on and she purrs like a kitten.

3....2....1.... and what did I snap it up for?

Wait for it....

Do you really want to know....

Okay....

EUR20 (AUD36)

Ya gotta laugh!

Damien

Wild Dingo
6th April 2007, 02:47 AM
Do you really want to know....

Okay....

EUR20 (AUD36)

Ya gotta laugh!

Damien

I DID NOT WANT TO BLOODY KNOW DAMO!!! :no:

But then I bet that wasnt the Aussie ebay either eh? Id not expect the Aussie ebay to have something like that for anywhere near as low as that price funny that :q

Good score!! :2tsup:

Groggy
6th April 2007, 08:27 AM
Nice score there!

Waldo
6th April 2007, 10:54 AM
G'day Damien,

Lucky bloke. :2tsup: Being an AEG I'd expect it to last a lifetime. I've got a couple of AEG p/tools all 20 years old and over and they've never needed anything fixed on them.

Gotta love picking something up at a price like that.

Just George
6th April 2007, 11:09 AM
How hard is it for these tools to be adapted for use in Australia - I'm talking leads/electricity here?

Bob38S
6th April 2007, 12:34 PM
G'day Damien,

You've been a little quiet lately :U

After reading above and seeing the condition of the AEG - I would have preferred you had been a little quieter for a little longer :roll:

Don't you feel guilty that it is NEW and you won't have to do any rebuilding on it to make it workable :o:no::no:

Great Pickup :2tsup:

Enjoy it and don't forget to show us what it can do. :U

journeyman Mick
6th April 2007, 03:16 PM
How hard is it for these tools to be adapted for use in Australia - I'm talking leads/electricity here?

I believe that Euro appliances are 220V. My parents brought everything with them from europe: washing machine, fridge, vacuum cleaner, coffee grinder etc etc etc. I know that my mum's hairdryer is still working after 40 years in Australia and my dad traded the vacuum cleaner in on a new one after we'd been in Australia for 16 years, so I daresay the powertools should be okay.

Mick

damienhazo
7th April 2007, 08:38 AM
Don't you feel guilty that it is NEW and you won't have to do any rebuilding on it to make it workable
Nope! Got enough tools to work on...

You cut off the plug and connect the leads to an Aussi plug. The German plug is superior but the Aussi plug isn't bad as far as they go...

It's all 220V...

Bruce Wilson
10th April 2007, 01:26 AM
Bought my OF 50 in 1976 for about $200, a lot of money in those days but well spent. Since then have used it many times as a DIYer when it has always run beautifully, an ideal well balanced machine for smaller hand work, with an accurate collet that really grips and a smooth snug plunging action. Just wish it had a fine height adjuster, does any body know of a solution ?

Bruce Wilson

damienhazo
17th April 2007, 09:19 PM
Bought my OF 50 in 1976 for about $200, a lot of money in those days but well spent. Just wish it had a fine height adjuster, does any body know of a solution ? Bruce Wilson

The DeWalt fine height adjuster fits 1:1. I use it on mine. Oh damn... Now I'll have to go and make a bloody pic...

It would be the one for the models 614 and 615. I don't know what they cost in Oz... I made a deal with a guy I found in ebay and bought 5 brand new for AUD 36...

It could well be that the fine height adjuster from the Trend T5 fits (Wegoma/Perles). Not 100% sure though...

Good luck!
Damien

Bruce Wilson
21st April 2007, 12:22 AM
Damien

Thanks for your tip.
Currently trying Dewalt Australia spare parts people to find one.
From your photo it is not clear how the adjuster works, so I am guessing there is a threaded rod running in a threaded sleeve gripped in the router housing. The rod end is somehow attached to the router base so winding the rod knob moves the unit up/down on the guide bars. Do I have it right ?
Regards

Bruce Wilson

Lignum
21st April 2007, 12:27 AM
I got a mail from a guy asking me about a MOF 96 that was going for AUD300 and I told him it was too much.

He ended up getting it for $170 with 2 new carbitool straight cutters. Thats a good get

damienhazo
23rd April 2007, 03:15 AM
Damien

Thanks for your tip.
Currently trying Dewalt Australia spare parts people to find one.
From your photo it is not clear how the adjuster works, so I am guessing there is a threaded rod running in a threaded sleeve gripped in the router housing. The rod end is somehow attached to the router base so winding the rod knob moves the unit up/down on the guide bars. Do I have it right ?
Regards

Bruce Wilson

Mmmm... Both routers have the fine height adjuster fitted. It's a bit easier to see on the Elu machine. The adjuster is nothing more than a hollow rod with a internal thread (like a nut). You push the base up till a thread from the plunge depth turret mates and then turn. The fine thread enables simple fine height adjustment. It's a must for things like dovetail jigs because the fit is determined by accurate depth (according to jig specs) and the tollerances are basically zero.

damienhazo
23rd April 2007, 03:23 AM
He ended up getting it for $170 with 2 new carbitool straight cutters. Thats a good get

170? Feeling better about paying 36 every day:D

I'm starting to think I should buy up as many MOF 96s and AEG OF 50s as I can and export em all back to Aussi. There's stacks of accessories still up for grabs over here too. Bloody customs would want a piece of the pie though...:(

And none of you buggers will give me top dollar if I keep blurtin out what I've paid for em:doh:

underused
23rd April 2007, 01:39 PM
Damien,
Do You see many 110v 96's & 177's?
Are you picking them up on the German Auctions (Ebay)?
Cheers.

damienhazo
23rd April 2007, 11:21 PM
Damien,
Do You see many 110v 96's & 177's?
Are you picking them up on the German Auctions (Ebay)?
Cheers.

Germany's 220V. Don't see much 110. German ebay:2tsup:

underused
24th April 2007, 02:44 AM
Cheers Damo,
In the uk, tradies tend to use 110v, although the standard voltage is 240v. Thought it might be the same in Germany:-
Theres one or two 110v 96's &177's turn up on the uk ebay, but not often..and its probably spent its life getting thrown around the back of the tradies van:rolleyes:
cheers.

damienhazo
24th April 2007, 08:33 AM
Government sites in Hong Kong use 110V as well (safety reasons).

damienhazo
5th June 2007, 10:15 PM
Couldn't resist...

One of my saw benches is a Metabo Tk 1256 which I absolutely adore. The machine uses 167mm blades which makes it a bit tricky to find anything but original Metabo.

The German manufacturer, H.O. Schumacher & Sohn make a precision 160 blade that fits nicely if you don't mind losing around 3mm of max cutting depth. All I have to do is adjust the height scale position in the display window accordingly.

Anyway, I've got one of these blades on and it's magic. Heaps of carbide on the tips and cuts through hardwood all day long. Found a bloke in ebay selling 2 of exactly the blade I like (160mm, 20mm hole, 48 teeth, NEW). Snapped em both up for under 11 Euro which is around 17 Aussi! That's under 10 bucks each!

Yeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!

Takes the edge off the home sickness....

damienhazo
10th August 2007, 12:40 PM
I know a man can only have so many routers but if they're practically givin 'em away, ya just gotta buy 'em. This little gem (Elu MOF 96 E Type 3) was in eBay with the notice that it was being sold in a defective state. Not much to go on but I thought what the heck. Even if the housing has been melted where the top bearing mount is, I can still use it for spares.

Whacked in a last second bid and snapped her up for EUR37. That's about 60 Aussi bucks. Admittedly, without the fence. Got enough of those lying around anyway:2tsup:.

So anyway, she came today and I pull her down to find the top bearing has seized. Will wonders never cease?! The machine was turned off before it could get hot and the housing is like new. The bottom bearing was okay but replaced it too while I was at it. Commutator showed little wear as did the entire machine. Put her all back together and she purrs like a kitten...

Since I had to take one of the Makita's out of the bench to blow the plunge rods, I thought I might take a family photo.

52726 52727

:D
Damien

Waldo
10th August 2007, 12:45 PM
G'day DamienHazo,

Planes I can understand, but routers. :o

:2tsup:

I suppose if you have one router deicated to one bit it saves changing them over :shrug:

damienhazo
10th August 2007, 01:10 PM
I suppose if you have one router dedicated to one bit it saves changing them over :shrug:

It works for my battery drills.

If I keep getting quality routers at these prices I might just take that tip seriously...:wink:

Waldo
10th August 2007, 01:32 PM
G'day Damien,

Watch out you might find yourself being raided by the German equivalent of the FBI and they enter the room and pour over your collection like one of those wierdo stalkers that has pictures plastered all over his wall. :o

:D

Jaeger_S2k
10th August 2007, 08:39 PM
Hi underused,
MOF177 are available in 110v quite a bit, may have one in the next couple of days. I don't use 110v except for a Porter Cable Polishing Machine for the car so I'd just be moving it on, if you're still looking let me know we can come to some arrangement.

I've mentioned on another thread about the MOF31 that I blame damienhazo (http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=10036) for my OCD with Elu MOF96 and 177's!

I've always been an Elu fan and recently have picked up quite a few tools from the UK and Germany. The great thing about most European tools on 220v they will run happily on 240v it's the Frequency of the mains that's important, reason why USA 110v machines run slowly because they are designed for 60Hz and we only produce 50Hz.

I did ask Hitachi technical support if one of their 110v/60Hz routers would run fine in the UK with no adverse effects and they agreed.

But why bother with USA kit when there's all these lurvley Elu around and readily available.

If anyone needs help in shipping parts or machines overseas from the UK if I can help I'd be happy to.

Hello to everyone as this is only my second post and I look forward to many more as I endevour to become familiar with routing techniques and work.

Jaeger_S2k
10th August 2007, 08:45 PM
It works for my battery drills.

If I keep getting quality routers at these prices I might just take that tip seriously...:wink:

Oh MAN!

That's 'POWER TOOL ' (as my better half calls it) at it's best.

You should set up a site and charge for photo's like that! :U

That's nice peg boarding, is it stainless steel?

damienhazo
10th August 2007, 10:06 PM
That's nice peg boarding, is it stainless steel?

It's aluminium folded on the edges to form a 4 cm deep open-backed box. And guess where it came from? eBay?
Nah.

Found 10 of 'em in the rubbish. But I did have to clean them so I guess they weren't free if you calculate the half litre of Super...:2tsup:

Jaeger_S2k
10th August 2007, 10:54 PM
Rubbish? It's amazing what others throw away. I've been in a skip before now retrieving something 'valuable'

Bob38S
10th August 2007, 11:09 PM
Not nice Damien rubbing it in like that :no::no::no:

- I think I can predict with a fairly high degree of confidence that the only green you will be getting is the reflection from our faces. :o:o:o

Regards,
Bob

PS very nice pix by the way and great pickups on ePay.

mailee
22nd August 2007, 11:14 AM
Wow Damien, you have more routers than I do there mate. I have just bought another Elu 96E from e-bay and it was new in the box for £80 it does have a strange type of plug on it so I am not sure where it originated from but it works fine. It is the one on the left of this picture. :D

Jaeger_S2k
22nd August 2007, 11:29 AM
When was that mailee?

One just went tonight for that kind of money, well at least I only saw it tonight but the lady said someone bit her arm off for it!

I have just seen the strangest thing a MOF 177E just sold on FleeBay for £235 Plus P&P £20, it was a Type 4 mind. Have never seen a Type 4 on there before. That's got to be close to what he paid for it new!

There's a lot of Elu appearing at the moment and it's making good money too.

mailee
22nd August 2007, 11:45 AM
Well Jaeger, this was about two moths ago I have to admit. I had no idea you could still buy them brand new though. I can only imagine they are made by someone else under the Elu label. Yes I have been looking for a good 177E myself but they do retain silly prices on e-bay. I will keep watching as you never know. :wink:

damienhazo
23rd August 2007, 01:26 AM
..it does have a strange type of plug on it so I am not sure where it originated from but it works fine.

Nice collection there! Send a picture of the plug and I'll tell you where it's from...

mailee
27th August 2007, 08:12 AM
Sorry it took so long but it's been hectic here. Well Damien here is a picture of the plug from both sides. It looks like the wire is a two pin plug that fits into the three pin although I didn't want to pull it too hard just in case it wasn't.

damienhazo
27th August 2007, 10:33 PM
Ummm... Isn't that a UK plug? I used to see this all the time in Hong Kong and it has been accepted as the standard there now. (All new products for the local market must comply)

I thought this was pushed through because that's what was being used in the UK...

Here's a link: http://www.kropla.com/!g.htm
comes from this site: http://www.kropla.com/electric.htm

Damien

damienhazo
28th August 2007, 12:29 AM
Nothing to do with routers but related to this thread...

It was Saturday night (actually early Sunday morning) about a week back and I was about to shut off the computer and snuggle up to my girlfriend...

I usually avoid eBay on Saturday and Sunday because of all the weekend warriors driving the price up 25% over cheap but I thought I'd have a peek...

I see this old Metabo battery drill in a metal case which no-one seems too interested in (especially because the guy is asking 15 Euro postage!). It's got a 7.30am Sunday end and I'm thinking no-one is getting up early to snipe this thing...

Anyway, it's 3 in the morning and I bid till I'm listed as the highest bidder which was where I thought it would be: EUR5.50. This was EURO 20 with the postage + my 50 cents to be in the lead.

So I get up sometime around lunch on Sunday and check my emails to see I'm the proud new owner of yet another Metabo battery drill. I send the bloke a mail saying the postage is too high and ask if he can't use Hermes Packet Service (the cheapest over here). He's a nice bloke and agrees. 15 down to 5.90. So it arrives here for a total of around EUR 11 which is about 17.50 Aussi.

AND NOW...the reason I was intersted in this old drill...

He he! ICS10 charger which will charge a 1.7 12V in 11 minutes flat! Cost over 200 bucks! Plugged her in and she works like a charm! Got 4 of these now...:D

mailee
28th August 2007, 06:42 AM
Yes it is a Uk plug of sorts Damien, but if you look closely you will see it looks like there is a two pin plug plugged into the three pin! I have never seen anything like it myself. Our normal UK plugs are just a three pin flat like the one in the picture but without the addition of the 'other' piece? I am not sure but think it came from Italy but I am no expert unlike yourself. :?

damienhazo
28th August 2007, 08:04 AM
Not sure if you're taking the or not...
Anyway, the only plug that looks remotely like the one in your pic is the G type (UK and others).
Let me know if you track it down...

mailee
28th August 2007, 08:38 AM
No not at all Damien. I assure you this is an unusual plug for the UK. I should know I live there. It looks like a two pin plug plugged into a three pin flat UK type plug. It is 240 Volts which is the Uk standard but normally the plugs we get over here are moulded onto the wire. All our plugs are three pin flat and have been for many years now although I do know that mainland China and the USA have two pin flat plugs. This one looks like a modification of the two?? The box that the router came in stated 'Made in Italy' ? just to confuse matters? :?

MurrayD99
28th August 2007, 08:43 AM
Mailee, does that lead really unplug from the UK bit? Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like classy moulding rather than a separate plug.