PDA

View Full Version : Something Different to Turn

Emmett
6th April 2007, 04:09 AM
Hi,

I hope that posting this here doesn't break any of the forum rules. I looked for rules that prohibit "advertising" but didn't find any. I also hope that some of you might find this of interest.

I recently started a small business making woodcrafts. I'm starting a website www.northwoodswoodcraft.com (http://www.northwoodswoodcraft.com) but sell things mostly on eBay so far.

I've been making shaving brushes and selling them on eBay for the past few months and have gotten so many inquiries from woodturners about where to purchase the brush heads (knots or plugs), what epoxy to use, how deep to drill the hole, etc, that today, I decided to list a shaving brush kit for woodturners on eBay. It includes the wood, The highest grade (Silvertip Badger Hair) knot and a single-use epoxy pack to glue the two together. Mixing supplies are also included.

I also sell the badger hair knots and wood blanks separately if you want to use your own wood.

Here's the link to my eBay store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Badger-Hair-Shaving-Brush-Kit-for-Woodturners_W0QQitemZ300098906021QQihZ020QQcategoryZ35988QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Pete

Salty
6th April 2007, 08:42 AM
God, don't ya like just love wackin' those badgers over the head to get those fantastic bristles!!. :C

rsser
6th April 2007, 08:47 AM
What are the heads like for French polishing?

Emmett
7th April 2007, 05:11 AM
I understand that the Chinese eat badger and the hair is left over. Kinda like leather from cattle.

-P

tashammer
7th April 2007, 10:17 AM
there is a large assumption that the word "badger" is the same creature all over the world, rather like the American opossum is something like our possum and it ain't.

Salty
7th April 2007, 12:00 PM
there is a large assumption that the word "badger" is the same creature all over the world, rather like the American opossum is something like our possum and it ain't.

Tas, though not SO different and are distant cousins. (WIKI -The name derives from their resemblance to the opossums of the Americas and, unlike most names applied to Australian fauna in the early years of European colonisation, happens to be accurate: the opossums of America are distant relatives. )
My point was that surely there must be a non-animal fibre that could do the job as well?? All the brushes I buy at Bunnies are synthetic fibre and seem to work well and for shaving your not too concerned about brush marks - or do I not do it right:D

Frank&Earnest
7th April 2007, 01:24 PM
My point was that surely there must be a non-animal fibre that could do the job as well?? All the brushes I buy at Bunnies are synthetic fibre and seem to work well and for shaving your not too concerned about brush marks - or do I not do it right:D

"I understand that the Chinese eat badger and the hair is left over. Kinda like leather from cattle."

Do I take that all your belts and shoes are also made of plastic? Or there is a bit of hypocrisy here?:D

Gra
7th April 2007, 07:01 PM
what like these http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/badger.swf

by the way cool idea, if I knew someone who shaved with one I would be buying one. I used to use one, back when I used to shave.

Barry Hicks
7th April 2007, 07:18 PM
I was in China some years back and my understanding is the Chinese, especially in the Canton area, will eat anything - possum, badger, rats, grasshoppers, jellyfish and beaver.

Darrell Feltmate
13th April 2007, 01:25 PM
I was in Thailand last year for a couple of weeks visiting my daughter. When we were at the night market in Buriram she got me to try the insects. The silkworm pupae are not for me. Big grasshoppers are okay but the little guys, they tossed them in the wok, gave a spritz of soy sauce and some seasoned salt. Now those could replace potato chips in a flash. Neither my daughter nor my wife would even try the bag I bought. Go figure?