PDA

View Full Version : Here's my first NE

Bill Wyko
6th April 2007, 10:33 AM
Here's my first Natural Edge piece. It's a piece of Manzanita root about 3-1/2 inches round and 2 inches tall. tung oil then buffed on the Beal 3 wheel. Critics are welcome.:2tsup: Enjoy.

Gil Jones
6th April 2007, 10:46 AM
Bill, that is a fine piece for your first natural edge.
Keep'em coming.

paul collins
6th April 2007, 11:05 AM
great job bill.i like the proportion of the foot to the bowl.:D

OGYT
6th April 2007, 01:31 PM
:brava: :clap: I think you've done it bang up, Bill. Natural edge is pretty hard to keep the edges looking as well as you did. :way2go:

David L
6th April 2007, 02:39 PM
Very nice Bill I would be proud to have that on my table.

Hardenfast
6th April 2007, 09:02 PM
So what's the secret to keep the natural edges from breaking away during this process, Bill? Just very easy does it?

BTW, I have ordered the 2 books you mentioned by Ray Allen and Tibbetts - found them both listed on eBay. My son will bring them back in a few weeks, along with the Beal 3 wheel set-up.

Many thanks again. Wayne

joe greiner
6th April 2007, 09:13 PM
Excellent again, Bill. I've hesitated commenting on your other stuff, because, frankly, I've had difficulty wrapping my brain around the notion you've only had the disease for a few months. (One or two others have expressed doubts.) You've obviously done your homework. I'd bet quite a few NooBs would like to know your learning curve. You might just be above average in intelligence, but what about the details? Mentoring? Heavy reading? Videos? Amount of practice? Lots of oops? Inquiring minds want to know.

Joe

ss_11000
7th April 2007, 12:06 AM
awesome work mate:2tsup:...do you still have all ten fingers?:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th April 2007, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't have dared try buffing it on my setup! :oo:

Now let's see you make a matching one! :D

Bill Wyko
7th April 2007, 04:02 AM
Thanks everyone. The secret on this one is the fact that Manzanita root is like turning steel. It's very solid. As far as my history of turning goes. It's true, I had never touched a lathe before December BUT, I was a home builder for 8 years when I was younger and in my mobile electronics business I work with wood almost daily. You can see some of my work at www.audio2000az.com (http://www.audio2000az.com). I've been named one of the top 100 car audio installers in the nation 7 times and top 12 once. This should clear up any questions of how I do what I do. I really enjoy these forums because everyone really seems to have a passion for what we do. In my business there's a lot of bashing that goes on. I think mostly because of a lack of maturity but it's the nature of kids. Turning on the other hand seems to draw people that all enjoy helping each other for the common goal. Beautiful wood work. Thanks again everyone I truly appreciate the compliments.

ptc
7th April 2007, 06:50 PM
Nice web site as well.

joe greiner
8th April 2007, 01:47 AM
I had a browse of Bill's threads at SMC. All doubts resolved. Bill's been a busy, busy, boy. But I'm still wondering: How does he find time for anything else?:rolleyes:

Joe

Bill Wyko
8th April 2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks again everyone. The LOML is studying to be a Nurse so of course I wouldn't want to disturb her studies:U So I'm in the garage turnin':2tsup:

rsser
8th April 2007, 07:58 AM
The piece has a rugged 'primordial' feel to it. The foot is big in proportion but it reprises the wings reaching up and so balances out.

With such high wings it's critical to get an even wall thickness all the way down; if you don't it's one of the first things you see.