PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed Pully Lubrication

Bruce101
6th April 2007, 04:49 PM
I have a Jet 1440 with a variable speed pulley and I have noticed that the change lever get quite stiff unless you vary the speed reasonably regularly, particularly the low speeds.

I never considered using WD40 to solve the problem until reading 'Access Panel to Lathe - by Tiger". How does this lubricant react with the belt???

Any comments/suggestions????

Bruce G.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th April 2007, 04:57 PM

:D

Bruce101
6th April 2007, 05:29 PM

:D

Thanks Skew, I'll try this.

Bruce G.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th April 2007, 06:05 PM
It does need regular application though. I give the ol' beast a squirt at the start of every session, which is usually enough.

Occasionally she'll stiffen up after a hard morning's work and I'll give her a squirt in mid-session, but that's a rarity.

Tiger
7th April 2007, 12:56 PM
Bruce,

I tend to use whatever I have at hand but haven't found any adverse affects with WD40. It's readily available, and it's a lot cheaper than Inox and other lubricants.

Bruce101
7th April 2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks Skew/Tiger,

I have used WD today and it has made a great difference. It's now smooooth!

Many thanks,

Bruce G.

Big Shed
7th April 2007, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a good idea, must try that.

CHJ
10th April 2007, 02:07 AM
A supplier of several variable speed (mechanical belt cones) lathes including Jet models here in UK recommends a Dry PTFE spray for the belts and headstock end shafts and pulleys.

Darrell Feltmate
13th April 2007, 01:17 PM
I have a similar arrangement on my Craftsman and use a graphite spray.

Big Shed
13th April 2007, 02:53 PM
I have a similar arrangement on my Craftsman and use a graphite spray.

Wouldn't that make the belt slip?

tashammer
13th April 2007, 05:08 PM
doesn't the wd40 give you a headache at all, it does me.

Darrell Feltmate
13th April 2007, 10:15 PM
Wouldn't that make the belt slip?
I guess it would if I got it on the belt :roll:, but I am just spraying the shafting so as to let the pulleys move easily. Occasionally I have torn down the pulley arrangement and lubricated everything to make it not be a problem. A product called "Rust Check" really gives good protection to the surfaces and seems to help with ongoing lubrication. There is a photo writeup of the process on my site under "lathe maintenance."

hughie
14th April 2007, 03:02 PM
Bruce,

Probably the best type of lubricant is a dry type. Any wet or sticky type will gather wood dust and keep it. At best it will cause the works to gum at worst it will cause premature wear.
Also to keep it free of dust etc you will need to lubricate often to flush the dust etc away
Theres a fair bit of it around, shop around tho' as some suppliers charge like wounded bulls.
BelRay make a motor bike chain lube that they garuantee wont collect dust or water after the solvent base has evaported. Its a darn good product...but.. a bit pricey. Me I go for a graphite based lube or powder of which worked fine. Although now I have a VSD drive so its no longer an issue for me

http://www.militec-1.com/

http://www.intota.com/multisearch.asp?strSearchType=all&strQuery=dry+lubricant

http://www.molybond.com.au/driver.asp?page=main/products

http://www.rs-components.com.au/electronic-components-au/17130-assembly-dry-film-lubricant-abrasives-lubricants-assembly-dry-film-lubricant-support-consumables.html

Tiger
15th April 2007, 10:19 AM
I have tried graphite which was not effective on my lathe with the variable speed pulley whereas WD40 made an immediate improvement.

Darrell Feltmate
15th April 2007, 10:26 AM
Actually that makes sense if I understand that the pulley was pretty well jammed. The graphite sits on the shaft and waits for the pulley to move over it to lubricate. WD40 has a solvent that pulls it under the stuck pulley and loosens it. I took the whole thing apart at first, cleaned all burrs with a fine file and 2000 sandpaper W&D, used RustCheck on all the steel parts and lubricated with graphite before reassembly. Works an absolute charm. I like to take the machines apart every now and then and fix them up.

Bruce101
17th April 2007, 01:13 PM
Many thanks all, appreciate the variation of views. At the moment WD seems to do the job.

Cheers,

Bruce.