PDA

View Full Version : Line internal garage walls ..how?

sean@oz
16th July 2003, 07:00 PM
Hi everyone

I'm Just about to build a double garage (steel) One half will be my girlfriends and the other half will be for my workshop.

I hopping to fully line and insulate the internal walls of my section. For 2 reasons

1) To reduce the noise factor a little
2) Cooler in summer warmer in winter.

So I was just wondering has any one else ever lined the internal walls of you typical steel kit garage and any pointers on how you went about it would be very interesting.

kenmil
16th July 2003, 08:27 PM
Jeez Doorstop, how do you handle a 12'x8' sheet of melamine chipboard. It must weigh a bloody ton !

Baz
16th July 2003, 09:19 PM
Sean, I lined my shed with 9mm ply (seconds) and insulated with polystyreen foam, available in several sizes, I ended up with 150mm in the ceiling and 75mm in the walls.
Cheers
Barry

journeyman Mick
16th July 2003, 10:31 PM
What Doorstop said, I get 3600 x 1800 coversheets from my cutting service for $15 each delivered. As far as handling them goes: unload from truck with driver, lean against wall. Drag sheets around still standing up to wall to be lined. If neccesary place scrap timber under sheet to give room for saw and cut. Whatever you do, don't lay sheet down on floor, you won't get it back up without a lot of drama!

Mick

Geoff Sims
17th July 2003, 12:31 AM
Jeez

You guys on the eastern seaboard have got it good.

There is absolutely no way known that you would get plywood, chipboard, melamine or anything else for that matter at $15 a sheet or even twice the price in the west. I don't know of anywhere that you could pick up sheets of that size either.

If anyone knows of a source of such goodies in Perth, pleeeease let me know where it is. I'll be there with the trailer tomorrow at first light.

Cheers

Ivan in Oz
17th July 2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Geoff Sims
Jeez

Cheers

Geoff,

In the last place I was in I used The aluminium foil stuck on with Double sided tape used by the Newspaper industry,
Here I'm looking to use Cyprees Pine 2nds, as I can get it from the Sawmill just down the road.

Screwed on lengthwise along the wall.
It gives me somewhere to hang stuff.

Ivan in Oz

DaveInOz
17th July 2003, 10:31 AM
I did mine as if it was in the house, wall insulation bats R??, then plasterboard over the top. Plaster was glued and screwed to the metal frame and wooden noggins were placed where required. Std 10mm gap at the bottom, and routed some pine to dress the edges of doors/windows.
Improved the heat in summer problem 100%
Hanging shelves etc is same as inside - find the studs. Girlie calanders and posters go straight on.

journeyman Mick
18th July 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Geoff Sims
Jeez

There is absolutely no way known that you would get plywood, chipboard, melamine or anything else for that matter at $15 a sheet or even twice the price in the west. I don't know of anywhere that you could pick up sheets of that size either.

If anyone knows of a source of such goodies in Perth, pleeeease let me know where it is. I'll be there with the trailer tomorrow at first light.

Cheers

Geoff, try the larger cabinet shops, the ones that use beamsaws usually get the larger sheets, also try Laminex, I'm sure there's a distributor over there. In both cases ask them for cover sheets, ten years ago I used to get a whole ute load for a carton of beer, but as everything gets tighter even cartons of beer don't go as far as they used to.:(

Mick

Geoff Sims
18th July 2003, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I guess I'll just have to be a bit cheeky and poke my nose through a few cabinet shop doors and just ask.

I don't necessarily want to line my garage, although that would be good. I'd just love to have access, particularly to cheap sheet product for a number of other projects I've got in mind.

Unfortunately, sometimes the dollars just aren't available to do some of the things one wants to do, so cheaper options like seconds are the way to go. I just don't know where to find them.

Cheers
Geoff

mkcl
18th July 2003, 03:24 AM
Hi guys,

Possibly a dumb question ... but what's a "cover sheet"?

Also, it's one thing to ask around at cabinet shops to find the sheets, but once you've found them, how do you get such large sheets home? At 12'x8', is a truck the only way to move them?

Michael.

journeyman Mick
18th July 2003, 02:29 PM
When you buy a pack of sheet materials, ie: ply, whiteboard, mdf etc the pack is usually sandwiched between two second grade sacrificial sheets. These are sometimes incorrectly manufactured (not "cooked" long enough, or missing some melamine) and often dinged from forklift handling, sometimes they're just fine. As far as handling 12 x 8 sheets goes, you may be able to get them to deliver (if you don't live too far away, and they like a drop or two of beer). Otherwise you may have to get a courier or bring a trailer, straight edge, clamps, lead and a power saw and break them down for transport. If there's cheap (or free) materials to be had there's always a way to get them home.
Q: Why do tradesmen drive utes?
A: To take all the extras/ offcuts/ demolition materials home!:D

Mick

mkcl
18th July 2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks Mick--learn something new every day!
:D

sean@oz
19th July 2003, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the info on how to line garage walls everyone Lots of good ideas.

Just one question regarding your reply "doorstop"...
You say "screw (the panels) to your girts with a 4" (100mm) gap so that it doesn't pick up any moisture and room to clean"

Does this meen that the 4' gap is along the bottom of the sheets. Dumb question I know but like so many people say "if your not sure ASK"

Thanks everyone.