PDA

View Full Version : Router Purchase

barnsey
17th July 2003, 12:42 AM
I confess to being retired and a bit more conservative on how I spend my $$$'s now.:(

I keep browsing around to try and swindle Bunnies with a good price for a Triton coz I can't get my brother to get to the Triton store to try and find me a bargain. Unfortunately I can't find anyone up here with a sale price on the Triton though.

I want soft start and variable speed and missed the WWW Show so where to now?? Saw the GMC 2400W unit the other day - what are the drawbacks with going with one of these to start with??? I have a heap of ideas about what I want to do with it but we all know that it'll be like everything it will have it's days and periods where I'll be turning or even better fishing!!!:D

I want to make a table for it so you can see I have a broad range of applications that occur to me including dovetailing which I will only do under extreme duress at the moment - by hand a great feeling at the end but I find it hard work!!!!

This retired bit has changed my engineering background attitude of you only get what you pay for but I've got SOME cheap tools that have got me through by knowing their limitations and working accordingly. Having said all that I've just about convinced myself to just go and buy the Triton or DeWalt but would love to hear any other opinions.

Jamie:confused:

Neil
17th July 2003, 02:01 AM
G'day Jamie - Have a look here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4467 it is only a few weeks since this topic was given a pretty full airing.

Cheers - Neil :)

barnsey
17th July 2003, 10:58 PM
Hi Neil,

I know that thread -I did actually contribute but I'm in a bit of a warp here. Yes Dewalt has a name - Triton has a reputation and well supported by members of this forum whose opinions I generally respect but there can be a level of dare I say it - snobbery - about the name with which I work. Most of my equipment is workshop made - my father is an engineer of sorts who has built my table saw, grinder, drill press. They have their limits, I know them and I work with them - I come from a trade myself.

I have always totally subscribed to the tenet of quality tools allow you to produce a quality of work that is of a level equivalent of your best if not better. However for those of us that are machinery friendly, we can get a bit more out of the ones that have some qualities and are individually capable of overcoming their limitations.

I have a passion for working with wood, - a very limited financial resource yet a belief that a woodsmith can make the best of that he has available - I'm not sure I can make the financial outlays nor can I claim expert status as some others but I believe we all have a level that we are at and look for the advice of others who have grown through this craft for which we all have a passion.

The object of my post was to solicit others experience to put me back on a perspective that is relevent to me and someone else may have experienced.

Unfortunately one always hears of the perceived perfection and not necessarily those of us that struggle to do the best we can with what we have or what we can afford.

Now I sound like I'm being critical and that is the furthest from my objectives but I come from a stock that if I could effectively fix it with a piece of 8 gauge fencing wire to get me out of a spot , then that is a valid option.

I'm sorry if that is a sub standard approach to others but I do not believe I am alone in the views of others who subscribe to this board. In fact the innovative responses are always those that stimulate your own imagination and solutions

:confused:

journeyman Mick
17th July 2003, 11:49 PM
Barnsey, if there is a Glenford's toolshop in your area check it out. (not sure if they're only in Qld) They import a range of power tools from Spain branded "Casals". I've owned a Hitachi TR12 for over 10 years and still use it but I needed a variable speed router to push a large diameter bit. I ended up buying the Casals, not as expensive as Hitachi, Makita or De Walt but not as cheap as GMC. It's rated at 2.5HP and I've used it for over a year with no problems. I'm in the trade and the only el cheapo stuff I've bought is angle grinders and a small compressor (my back is pretty bad nowadays and I looked at my large compressor sitting on the floor one day and then up at the back of my Hilux 1.3M up and decided I'd buy a second compressor), anyway I wouldn't class the Casals as a cheapie. Its early days yet but I'm happy with it so far.

Mick

kenmil
18th July 2003, 12:02 AM
Barnesy,

I have a Triton router, but I also have the 2400 watt GMC, and the timber cannot tell the difference.:D

barnsey
18th July 2003, 12:39 AM
Thanks guys:D

I'm not going to rout the f#*@ out of the thing but I don't want a case of the bearings or drive mechanics going "ugh this is to hard" the minute I run a piece or two of brush box, jarrah or red/spotted gum through it to make a door or fancy moulding or two.

This ain't no production line but a very proud woodworker and to a point a perfectionist but not silly enough to think that I can abuse any tool. My cheapie Hare & Forbes lathe has its limitations but I like to think that I can extract a level out of it that is as good if not better than that I see others offer around the traps.

Maybe others in this area might be prepared to invite/form a woodworking group on the south end of the coast so we can use each others experience to improve our collective abilities. If there is one then please let me know, fellowship is a great resource and an asset to all participants.

This forum is a great resource in any event and I thank you all for the knowledge shared, it is all appreciated.

Jamie

journeyman Mick
18th July 2003, 02:43 PM
I used the Casals router to push a 45mm bit to level quite a few M2 of rose gum. It worked non stop for 3 days (asides from a few breaks for me for smoko and lunch!) It's had occasional use since then but I think that's a pretty reasonable test, didn't get hot after hours of use and reasonably quiet compared to my old Hitachi.

Mick

Edmund Peter
18th July 2003, 05:26 PM
Barnsey

You can't go wrong with the GMC router.
The only drawback is that you will be covered for 2 years under the GMC warranty!! With a 777 customer service support , ie. support 7 days, 7am-7pm and a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, what more can you ask for?
The GMC 2050 1/2" Plunge Router is capatible with the Triton workbench as well.:)
So Barnsey if you won't part easily with your hard-earned pesetas, you'll find value for money with this product.

Regards
Edmund

Sir Stinkalot
18th July 2003, 05:39 PM
I also got a GMC .... undecided over it still ... It has been back twice .... with two no questions asked swap overs (thats great). I can't fault the finish that it puts on the timber and as stated earlier, thats all that really matters at the end of the day. I have a feeling that I could have killed the unit once trying to quickly to push a 1/2" slightly blunt bit through treated pine. The second time it went back as the quick release lock to the plunge died as it was plastic. I could have replaced the lock with a better quality one but after putting this router through some heavy work days eariler I though it best to take it back. If it dies again in the warranty period I will upgrade to the Trition. If you are more careful than I am I think it would be a good router at a great price.

Stinky.

barnsey
19th July 2003, 01:35 AM
Well having taken note of those esteemed respondants then I'm prepared to take the chance.

Sir S talks it as it comes, NQ Misk has some credentials as someone who makes the most of his opportunities and although I'm not familiar with you Peter I reckon I can make the thing do what I need it to!!!!

Thanks for your honesty and advice.

BARNSEY;)

John Saxton
19th July 2003, 10:20 PM
Barnsey,your concerns about a router that can do the "job" for you is well founded and is worthy of your investigations!
Often folk will purchase without the implications of their purchase being paramount in as much as will it do all it is designed to do?
Designed and produced overseas with little or no forethought given to tackling our dense timbers here...moreover the desert timbers that can be rock hard.
In saying that, good practices can help with tool usage.
In dealing with these Oz timbers thought has to be given to using the best bits you can afford with the router with the grunt that won't let you down or be found wanting.
Personally, for small runs of intended moulding I have found my Hitachi M12V, more than adequate rather than having to set up the big moulder.
But I have found the lessor mortals have coped ...not as well as in the form of the Makita 3600BR and Bosch 1300 ACE which lacked the power of the Hitachi so very light cuts were required.
In short buy the power in the router your dollar can afford to as to not compromise your needs in time.
Cheers:)

nik
30th July 2003, 09:36 AM
I'm looking at buying a router in the near future and I would like to know everyones opinion on Metabo and AEG routers? Is it worth spending the $315 on an AEG router for a beginner or should I spend even more money on a metabo? I'll be looking at adding it to the Triton workcentre down the track aswell.

Thanks, Nik.

derekcohen
30th July 2003, 05:33 PM
Nik

Have you seen the CMT router? This is the company that produces router bits. I notice in the mags that they are selling one, I think around the $400 mark. This is the absolute exact same router as the Elu 177e, which is the best router in the world (must be as I have one!)!! Seriously, check it out - it IS considered the bench mark for mid- to large routers around the world.

Regards from Perth

Derek

docjell
18th August 2003, 09:20 PM
Hi Derek
Fully concur with sentements regarding Elu/CMT 1/2" router. I have been trying to source one in Australia for days to no avail. CMT in the USA doesn't admit to making it which is curious!
Any ideas other than Axminster power tools in the UK?
Thanks Chris Jelliffe

derekcohen
18th August 2003, 09:48 PM
Chris

It is on page 123 of the latest Carba-tec catalogue. Price is $595. If it is made to the same standards as my Elu 177e (which cost me about $750 several years ago), then this is a good buy.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

poimen
18th August 2003, 09:59 PM
The DeWalt DW625E looks like the same router as the CMT/Elu.
I think it is about $480

docjell
19th August 2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks Poimen - I'll check it out. At least DeWalt tools are difficult to loose in the workshop!
Cheers
Chris Jelliffe

docjell
19th August 2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks Derek - I'll let you know how it goes. I've used an ELU MOF 96 for years and it just goes on and on! If the CMT 1/2" is a patch on the old ELU's it will be a great buy.
Chris Jelliffe

Glen Bridger
20th August 2003, 12:12 AM
Hi,

I have no doubt that the CMT & ELU routers are excellent quality. in fact there are a lot of others which I'm sure match them. But one thing to consider is after sale service and parts. Makita and Hitachi are the easiest to get parts, (very quickly). This may be an important consideration, especially if your business relies on them.

Just a thought.

Glen

echnidna
3rd September 2003, 07:45 PM
GMC is quite a reasonable router. The biggest advantage is that you could get a 1/2" one and a 1/4" one and still have money left over compared to the big name brands. Its very handy having one setup in a router table and another [or 2 or 3 or so] for bench use.

Though if youre going to push hardwoods through with a power feeder at 20 feet a minute for hours on end get a Hitachi.

docjell
4th September 2003, 10:27 PM
Thanks -all -for your helpful comments and tips. I finally plumped for the Makita 3612C which is a beast of a machine, mounted in a Carbatec imported cast iron router table which is built like a brick dunny and almost impossible to lift - which is great. The carrier called work to get me home to help offload it from the truck!
So far the results are stunning - very accurate, easy to use.
My old Elu MOF 96 can now relax and enjoy retirement - the occassional outing but nothing too stressful!
I now need to source some info on making windows - we are about to embark on a tasteful revitalisation of a 100 year old Queenslander in Mackay. Any thoughts?
Cheers
Chris