PDA

View Full Version : Router table for Incra LS

Big Shed
7th April 2007, 02:45 PM
A while ago I posted a question regarding what people considered the best dovetail jig.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=43832&highlight=dove+tail

I finally decide to go for the Incra jig, specifically the Incra LS 17" System, which includes the Wonderfence.

This decision was arrived at after watching a demo on the Leigh jig at Carbatec (jig seemed impressive, demo wasn't) and using the Leigh D4R jig first hand after receiving an offer from one the forum members (who is unfortunately no longer a member)

This first hand experience confirmed to me that if I went the Leigh way I was going to have to buy a smaller router, I have a Triton TRA001 and a Makita 3600BR.

As I was also not happy with my Triton router table (RTA300) and was considering building a new one, it seemed logical to go the Incra way as this would also give me a perfect router fence.

All this soul searching was sparked by Timbecon having a very good special on an Incra Ultra 25, including a set of router bits and the templates/book.
However, by the time I had done my research (read procratination!) they were all sold out.

Back to square one. I had also contacted Graham at Professional Woodworking Supplies and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the complete Incra 17" package.

Even though this was a good offer, it was still double the Timbecon special, but it did include the Wonderfence. More soul searching until SWMBO reminded me rather forcefully that I can't take it with me and I might as well dip into the kids inheritance.

So off to Paterson Lakes we went and came home with a rather big box of Incra bits as well as a Woodpeckers phenolic router plate and Incra Mitre track.

Now the serious work began, designing the router table.

Lots of reading of forum threads, internet searches and borrowing library books and more questions of forum members (did I say how good a resource this is?)

Some links to some of my inspiration:

http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/routertable.html

Nothing found for Sstat-1 (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/sstat-1.htm)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=44180&highlight=underused

I finished up pinching bits from everywhere and added some of my own.

The top of the table is made from 32mm laminated chipboard, picked up (for $5.00, new!) from one of my favourite salvage yards, A&R Salvage at Campbellfield.

The opening routed out to suit the Woodpecker phenolic insert, I used a 35mm router bit which matched the ratio of the corners of the insert perfectly.
I was fortunate to have this on hand, purchased the 35mm bit to rebate all my bottom and top plates for the frame of my brick veneer house I built here.

The frame made up to get the correct opening for the insert, arrived at by measuring and doing a trial run on scrap.

When I attached the Triton router to the insert and put this in the opening, it immediately highlighted a problem. It would be very hard to connect the dust extraction hose to the opening on the Triton router.
Even out of the table I find this hard and fiddly. I overcame this by cutting a small piece of Triton dust extraction hose and leaving that permanently in the router, then attached one of the Triton fittings, which takes the Triton hose easily.

This shows the detail.

397761 397765

to be continued...............

DJ’s Timber
7th April 2007, 03:09 PM
Looking good :2tsup:, look forward to seeing the completed table

underused
7th April 2007, 05:05 PM
G'day,
Thats coming on nicely:2tsup: Bet you cant wait it get it all set up, and make that first cut:)
I used mine in a half made state to finish the rest of it:rolleyes:
I cant see from the pics, have you braced the bottom of the table? Although You've used some hefty board for your top, the weight of the big triton router and plate has been know to curve the top over time.
Looking forward to seeing it progress!
Cheers.

Big Shed
7th April 2007, 05:53 PM
I should mention here that the top is removable, there are a total of 8 50mm long 20x20mm aluminium angles screwed to the bottom, which then make a push fit into the metal frame top.
This was done so I can get to the bolts mounting the Incra base.

The front of the Incra base is positioned 19 3/4" from the center of the router plate and mounted with a total of 6 bolts (provided).
I a still not sure about this setup, even though recommended by Incra, and am considering mounting the base on T-Tracks rebated into the top.
This is so that I can position the base further from the router, especially when the Wonderfence is mounted. More on this later

With the top mostly take care of, I did put Mountain Ash edges on it, I now started on the base.

As you can see in previous photos, I made a basic frame out of 25mm metal tubing, using some knockdown connectors I still had here.
My welding skills are almost zero, I could have used mys small oxy/LPG set, but that meant getting a bottle of oxy.
Not worth the expense.

I put some base facilities for 75mm castors, 2 fixed and 2 locking swivel (Super Cheap), giving me a height of 900mm from floor to top of table.

This shows the base and positioner mounted ready for the fence.

This is the basic Pro fence supplied with the standard LS.

Here is the Wonderfence mounted, this is easily removed when needed.

I made 2 carcases from 18mm MDF, 1 lower one above which the router is mounted, giving me plenty of room to manipulate the router.
The higher one fits inside the metal frame and will have 6 small drawers and 2 bigger ones for the Incra templates and book.

Both carcases were finished with a coat of Sanding Sealer (Protec) and a coat of Satin Polyurethane (Protec Polyglow). This finish is harwearing and additonal coats of poly were deemed unneccessary.

Here's the whole thing assembled with drawers and top.

1 of the storage drawers, this one with router bits, others will have various router accessories.

to be continued....................

Big Shed
7th April 2007, 05:56 PM
G'day,
Thats coming on nicely:2tsup: Bet you cant wait it get it all set up, and make that first cut:)
I used mine in a half made state to finish the rest of it:rolleyes:
I cant see from the pics, have you braced the bottom of the table? Although You've used some hefty board for your top, the weight of the big triton router and plate has been know to curve the top over time.
Looking forward to seeing it progress!
Cheers.

No, first time I used mine was for the template inserts, to be shown next. Must admit it was hard not to, but had the Triton router table still that I could use. So all drawer fronts were done on the Triton router table, and it shows. None of the round overs match on the corners!:(

At this stage I haven't braced the top, but may well do so, it is pretty flat at present, but maybe I should do that before it sags.

underused
7th April 2007, 06:11 PM
At this stage I haven't braced the top, but may well do so, it is pretty flat at present, but maybe I should do that before it sags.

I would mate, just in case eh. would be a shame if it did sag, all that work.
Its looking really good, heaps of drawer space for bits and fixtures etc.
Nice work:2tsup:

Big Shed
7th April 2007, 06:13 PM
The big drawers on top were designed to store the templates that come with the Incra.

They are 17" long and 1/2" wide and there are 50 of them.

So a way to store and easily retrieve them was needed.

Fortunately in my research I cam across this site

Nothing found for Sstat-22 (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/sstat-22.htm)

where he came up with a very neat solution.

Each template tray will sit on a couple of MDF rails so they can easiy slide forward and be lifted on to the drawer front.

Each tray has 25 slots routed in, using the Incra template. This job really brought home to me the accuracy of this system.
The guy in Woodshopdemos used the 5/8" template, but I found that the bits between the dovetail tracks broke off easily, maybe Yankee MDF is stronger than our variety?

So I used the 11/16 template, cut the dovetail with the 1/2" DOVETAIL BIT, then used the fine adjustment knob for halF a turn (1/64") and cut again. This widened the track just enough to let the 1/2" slide easily.

When you need a template the tray can easily be lifted an brooght forward on top of the drawer front to take the template out, or return it.

to be continued..............

Big Shed
7th April 2007, 06:24 PM
Tray with templates lifted and brought on top of drawer front for easy selection.

I have copied the template book that came with the jig to stop it getting dirty in the shed.

With a bit of jiggling they fit on to A3, put all the copies into a folder from OfficeWorks, this fits neatly on top of the top tray.

Again a bit of perspex is to go on the tray to protect the templates.

It is shown here on the bottom tray, but top tray was deliberately made a little higher for this.

Harry72
7th April 2007, 06:53 PM
Sweet RT Big Shed, well done mate.

Sir Stinkalot
7th April 2007, 08:33 PM
All this soul searching was sparked by Timbecon having a very good special on an Incra Ultra 25, including a set of router bits and the templates/book.

However, by the time I had done my research (read procratination!) they were all sold out.

Big Shed ..... the table looks fantastic ..... I will bookmark this one for future reference.

I also looked into the special at Timbecon .... it wasn't long after our discussions that I had a look on their website and found the same deal, I bookmarked the page however the deal was gone a day later. Sounds like a misprint in the mailout, possibly should have read normal price with bonus router bits. The old "sold out" perhaps covered up a bad mixup in printing.

Tex B
7th April 2007, 10:09 PM
Very nice table. Well done.

Tex

Cliff Rogers
7th April 2007, 10:37 PM
Looking good, thanks for sharing, good job on the pics too. :2tsup:

Gibbo
12th April 2007, 11:38 PM
Wow - top job Big Shed! That is an awesome looking set up.

Big Shed
1st November 2007, 10:57 AM
Now that I have used this router table for a while, I thought I would update
this thread with my experience in using it.

Basically the router table has performed as expected with one exception, dust
extraction.

The original design had the router space open, relying on the router dust
extraction port for it's dust extraction. This did not perform all that well
so a rethin was needed.

The router space is now totally enclosed.

The doors open, have used 165 deg hinges to give maximum access to the enclosed space.

Note that I am still using the Triton Router dust extraction port, connecyed
to the outside of the cabinet with a short length of Triton DC hose.

The setup in close-up. The through the wall connector I used is from C/tec, 65mm stepped adapter

The adapter from the outside, this adapter also takes the Shopvac hose when more suction is required.

The external DC connections, using 100m SWV fittings and 100mm and 65mm flexible DC hose. There is a blast gate at the end, not really needed for closing the DC connection off, but makes a good fitting for the 100mm
threaded push-on fitting.

The other side of the enclosure with the switch (Timbecon) mounted as well as 3 cable collars used to control airflow within the enclosure.

I finally fitted the template holders with 3mm plexiglass which I purchased on my last trip to Adelaide.

I have now given this set-up a good trial with various projects, the latest being making 12 dovetailed drawers for a CD cabinet I am making. These dovetailed drawers were made using the INcra LS17, my first major use of this jig for dovetails.

It passed with flying colours, after an initial bit of fiddling to familiarise myself with it.

I will be starting a WIP on the CD cabinet shortly.

All in all, this latest mod to the router table is a success and has made using it a lot less dusty.

About the only mod I can see myself make is an above table dust extration setup for the Incra in dovetail mode, some dust/shavings stay on the table because of the way the Incra is setup. Not a major problem so it can wait.

DJ’s Timber
1st November 2007, 11:09 AM
Looks great BS, just one ??? for you though.

Why do you have the 4" mounted halfway up the side panel, rather than at the bottom, would have thought it would be more efficient and easier for when you need to sweep out the cabinet.

Big Shed
1st November 2007, 11:14 AM
Looks great BS, just one ??? for you though.

Why do you have the 4" mounted halfway up the side panel, rather than at the bottom, would have thought it would be more efficient and easier for when you need to sweep out the cabinet.

Fair question DJ, I did a mockup before I decided on that position as it gave the best airflow from the router. Putting it at the bottom directed a lot of dust to the bottom and more of it stayed there.

I don't sweep the cabinet out, whatever liitle dust is in there I vacuum out with the Shopvac.

The dust you see there is after doing the dovetails for 12 drawers (meranti).

Waldo
1st November 2007, 02:15 PM
G'day Big Shed,

Nice set-up and the silver painted PVC looks smick. The 5th pic there, my first impression was a set of extractors/headers off a V8. :2tsup:

You've obviously put a lot of thought into the extraction.

underused
1st November 2007, 02:33 PM
Nice router table that:2tsup: looks like a lot of work has been put into it. I'd like to fit mine out with better extraction. Thanks for the ideas:)
cheers!

Big Shed
1st November 2007, 04:12 PM
G'day Big Shed,

Nice set-up and the silver painted PVC looks smick. The 5th pic there, my first impression was a set of extractors/headers off a V8. :2tsup:

You've obviously put a lot of thought into the extraction.

Thanks Waldo, no it is only the Trtion V6!

Nice router table that:2tsup: looks like a lot of work has been put into it. I'd like to fit mine out with better extraction. Thanks for the ideas:)
cheers!

Thanks Underused. It is working well now, except for a bit of dust above the table, especially with cutting the pins (I think I got that right, the closed bits anyway, always get confused!)

Mike Wingate
27th June 2009, 09:38 PM
Nice table. You could almost get away with it as a piece of furniture in the home. I hope you do nice work with it.

paininthe
16th September 2009, 09:14 AM
Hi, Could you give me the measurement from the cutter centre line to the back of the table. Although I do not have the Incra yet, I only want to make one router table. It is going to be stored in a corner so cannot have any overlap.

When the fence is as forward as it will go (towards the cutter) does anything stick out of the back of the LS base?

If it is the 28" fence does anything have to hang over the edge? Due to the l/h side ie: away from the cutter would be stored against a wall.

tia

Waldo
16th September 2009, 10:29 AM
G'day Paininthe,

Is it your intention to mount the Incra fence running front to back of the table (as I have done, in which case it hangs off the rear of the table), or length ways across the table as Big Shed has done and is the common practice?

paininthe
16th September 2009, 08:11 PM
Very poor prelimanary sketch, it will sit against a wall to to the back and right side being that the sketch is from the front.

http://www.oneflewover.me.uk/table1.jpg

waikune
16th September 2009, 08:30 PM
I'll look forward to your finished table...looks fansastic so far

Big Shed
16th September 2009, 08:39 PM
Hi, Could you give me the measurement from the cutter centre line to the back of the table. Although I do not have the Incra yet, I only want to make one router table. It is going to be stored in a corner so cannot have any overlap.

When the fence is as forward as it will go (towards the cutter) does anything stick out of the back of the LS base?

If it is the 28" fence does anything have to hang over the edge? Due to the l/h side ie: away from the cutter would be stored against a wall.

tia

I'll take some measurements tomorrow and post them here.

Mike Wingate
17th September 2009, 01:38 AM
on my set up it is about 14" from the centre of the bit to the metal fence and 25" from the CoB to the back of the table. There is another 17" of fence to the rear of that with max extension.

paininthe
17th September 2009, 09:34 AM
on my set up it is about 14" from the centre of the bit to the metal fence and 25" from the CoB to the back of the table. There is another 17" of fence to the rear of that with max extension.

Thanks Mike for your time, what I wanted is the "parked width" how much room the set up takes when it is put away (without having to recalibrate or square up after each usage). To get the most of the 5x3ft space I have I cannot afford overhangs. If I can get it to fit i'm trying to squeeze the a table saw under the l/h part of the table space aswell.

Big Shed
17th September 2009, 10:22 AM
OK, have taken some measurements, hope they are what you require, if not please ask for additional measurements.

With my size table (1150x800mm) the whole LS17 and Wonderfence fits within the table.

Also note that the stop on the LS17 standard fence adds a bit to its' length.

I have 4 mounting points for the 3 LS17 mounting bolts so I can vary where I put it, they are at 3" centres and I have them located at 2, 5, 8 and 11" from the rear of the table.

Hope this helps.

Gwhat
17th September 2009, 06:10 PM
Hi

The issues with the size of table for the LS 17" are as follows;
The distance from the centre of cutter to the start of the clamping system should be 500mm,
The clamping system can sit on a cantilevered extension plate if table size / space is a concern.
The distance from the front of the router table to the centre of the bit should be, what is comfortable for the operator to be able to see the bit over the workpiece and Right Angle Fixture.
The distance in 3/ above needs to be large enough to support the RAF and workpiece(s). Ideally 300 - 375mm

A simple way of getting the facts is to look at the Incra LS Instructional DVD, we sell them for $25.00 which is refunded whern the LS is purchased.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Grahame

paininthe
17th September 2009, 08:24 PM
OK, have taken some measurements, hope they are what you require, if not please ask for additional measurements.

With my size table (1150x800mm) the whole LS17 and Wonderfence fits within the table.

Also note that the stop on the LS17 standard fence adds a bit to its' length.

I have 4 mounting points for the 3 LS17 mounting bolts so I can vary where I put it, they are at 3" centres and I have them located at 2, 5, 8 and 11" from the rear of the table.

Hope this helps.

Thats perfect, just what i needed. thankyou.

paininthe
17th September 2009, 08:27 PM
Hi

The issues with the size of table for the LS 17" are as follows;

The distance from the centre of cutter to the start of the clamping system should be 500mm,
The clamping system can sit on a cantilevered extension plate if table size / space is a concern.
The distance from the front of the router table to the centre of the bit should be, what is comfortable for the operator to be able to see the bit over the workpiece and Right Angle Fixture.
The distance in 3/ above needs to be large enough to support the RAF and workpiece(s). Ideally 300 - 375mm

A simple way of getting the facts is to look at the Incra LS Instructional DVD, we sell them for $25.00 which is refunded whern the LS is purchased.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Grahame

Hi Grahame, thanks for detailed response, the Incra is purely aspirational at the moment but the space in the garage will remain the same. I do not want to go about making the table and should the dream come true find I have things in the wrong place on the table / workspace i am now making. IYSWIM

Thanks

Mike Wingate
18th September 2009, 10:47 PM
Take the fence off and park it off the table, or bring the fence forward, away from the back. Or turn the table 90 degrees so the fence operates sideways.

Big Shed
22nd October 2016, 01:35 PM
Just an update to this thread.

All the photos were lost from this, and other, threads a while ago. Without them the words didn't mean a lot and I have received numerous requests to add the photos again.

I have been somewhat reluctant to do that as it is a slow and tedious job, but in the end I decided it was easier to do that than to answer the PMs and explain why they weren't there.

Uncle Al
27th December 2016, 07:47 AM
I have just read this old thread in it's entirety, many thanks for all the details and responses to various questions.
I am about to embark on a similar build for a friend using the Incra LS17 but will be having 2 routers fitted, mainly for use with a Gifkins jig but with the versatility of the Incra fence system as well.
I have the LS27 set up on a cast iron table with an outrigger to support the base of the Incra unit, it is a great unit, but I really don't use the extra reach of the longer rail.

Thanks for restoring the photos, the post would not have been any where near as useful as it is now.

Alan...

DaveVman
30th August 2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks for this thread. I have the metric version. I didn't realise that I would need such a large table for it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Auntie Chris
31st August 2017, 12:42 PM
Yep you deny it in dec and that one has the pics