PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has used the Rustofix?

riri
7th April 2007, 10:16 PM
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has ever used the Rutofix and for which purpose? Which one of the 3 available brushes are you using? Thanks for sharing yr experience.

riri

riri
9th April 2007, 07:26 AM
Hi,

I take that no one has used/bought the Rustofix on this forum at least.

Thanks anyway,

riri

zuma
9th April 2007, 10:36 PM
Nope the rustofix is a very special machine for a niche appliance. What I mean to say that is used to make wood look 'old' in a certain style. It's certainly not my style but I think this style is used in old-style Germanian houses so called (I don't know the English word) 'vakwerk'-houses. So I think it's mainly used for renovation of old houses (with the purpose to keep them looking like old).

journeyman Mick
9th April 2007, 11:11 PM
Zuma,
I don't know that there is a translation for "vakwerk" houses, probably "rustic" would give the closest meaning. Peter (Sturdee) might know.

Mick (en vakman)

riri
10th April 2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks for replies, i was just wondering if this tool could be used ( effectively ) to scrap/remove old paint or varnish?

riri

Frank-Jan
10th April 2007, 04:44 AM
@zuma & Mick: You guys got me wondering aswell. Apparently it's half-timbered houses: Link (http://ah.bfn.org/a/DCTNRY/h/half.html)

@riri: Sorry, don't have experience with it, but I would guess it will do the trick. It's used for bringing the grain of the wood up to get a rustic look.
(There are 3 pictures of the resulting finish in the Festool-catalogue) If that's the finish you're going for I think it will scrap the existing paint off in the process. But it's a very task-specific tool, I don't think many people use it. Maybe you could ask your festool-dealer to whom he has ever sold one, so you can get info from some one who uses one, or ask for a demonstration.

zuma
11th April 2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks for replies, i was just wondering if this tool could be used ( effectively ) to scrap/remove old paint or varnish?

riri

Well if you're looking for a very effective machine to remove quickly thick layers of paint/varnish etc. You should not look at the rustofix but the Festool renovation Grinder. It's a beast, it even chews plaster and concrete ridges! I do think Festool has stopped producing this thing because it's competing with a same tool from their building site brand Protool....

riri
11th April 2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for replies,

I have ordered one:2tsup: as i have a feeling it will save me a lot of hard work on a commission i have. I hope i am not mistaken :( .I'll keep you posted.

riri

zuma
12th April 2007, 09:50 PM
which one? A rustofix or a renovation grinder? I'm still musing about a renovation grinder if I have the money to spare. It saves big bucks on sanding paper with a coarse grit for the Rotex.

riri
13th April 2007, 02:03 AM
No sorry it is the Rustofix that i have ordered. I have about 200m² of oak floor that has to be "cerused" and i believe the Rustofix will do that in a jiffy:roll: .

riri

zuma
14th April 2007, 12:54 AM
Well keep us posted on the results! I'm curious. :D

riri
22nd April 2007, 05:01 PM
Hi,

On further question. Since the Rustofix shares the same body as the grinder RAS 180, would you think it is feasible to convert the Rustofix into an RAS 180 if need be?

riri

Frank-Jan
22nd April 2007, 09:46 PM
I think it will be possible, the machines even share the type number: rustofix=RAS 180.03 E-HR (http://www.festool.nl/mediandoweb/index.cfm?sLanguage=Dutch&ID_O_TREE_GROUP=1729&ID_O_PRODUCT=76&BLATT=1&PARENT=1764), grinder= RAS 180.03 E-AH (http://www.festool.nl/mediandoweb/index.cfm?sLanguage=Dutch&ID_O_TREE_GROUP=1606&ID_O_PRODUCT=72&BLATT=1&PARENT=3669).But you''l have to check if you can order the different parts seperately (hood, supportdisk, etc).

Frank-Jan
22nd April 2007, 09:51 PM
Interesting: parts breakdown (http://ekat.festool.de/EKAT/jsp/main.jsp?doAction=catalogAssy&k_vari=493670&k_ver=&image=0&k_lfdnr=&nodeId=child&sig=0E55DA3478AECCF8A0A7FBDBD60F15A2310BF809FA6036C8AF88EC07B0CFB10076D8C201AAAA18EAA5E043CF4896A9B2C027E2623062947D99FE5A097C396165)
rustofix hood assembly (http://ekat.festool.de/EKAT/jsp/main.jsp?doAction=catalogAssy&k_vari=485035&k_ver=&image=0&k_lfdnr=&nodeId=child&sig=B6CC980A2D2671F72F000DA064E734508CCDF97D1D7311000126A5A655A832F81F8B3949DAEF1909352AAD2518A16FAEA11BA4564849578C03BA775499B22956)

The links are giving errors now, don't know if it's temporary, (they worked fine before)

Maybe the indirect approach works better: go here (http://ekat.festool.de/EKAT/jsp/main.jsp?doAction=start&partLang=en&docuLang=en&locale=en_EN&viewerType=6&verticalLayout=1&HOOK_URL=&currency=EUR&filter_F_Typ1=on&filterValues_F_Typ1=NL&currencyKey=NL) And select the tool on the left.

riri
23rd April 2007, 01:55 AM
I think it will be possible, the machines even share the type number: rustofix=RAS 180.03 E-HR (http://www.festool.nl/mediandoweb/index.cfm?sLanguage=Dutch&ID_O_TREE_GROUP=1729&ID_O_PRODUCT=76&BLATT=1&PARENT=1764), grinder= RAS 180.03 E-AH (http://www.festool.nl/mediandoweb/index.cfm?sLanguage=Dutch&ID_O_TREE_GROUP=1606&ID_O_PRODUCT=72&BLATT=1&PARENT=3669).But you''l have to check if you can order the different parts seperately (hood, supportdisk, etc).

Thanks for reply. Support disk is available as replacement. I do not know about the hood. I've checked yr link but witout success. I will try later.

riri

zuma
23rd April 2007, 07:18 PM
Any part with a part number on the breakdown drawing is to be ordered seperately as a spare part. This way I'v gotten extra screws on my VS 600 and replaced a sub part on my Basis 1A module.

Come to think of it maybe more machines are in this way to be rebuilt in another one (I'm thinking of the palm sanders, the rS and DS 400). The only problem is that the breakdown drwaings are not available on the Internet. You have to buy the machines first..... So if anyone has a RAS 118 or a DS 400 please scan the breakdown drawings and publish them. Might be very interesting.

Frank-Jan
24th April 2007, 02:44 AM
... The only problem is that the breakdown drwaings are not available on the Internet...

They are now, I didn't know it yet when I had to order some small parts for my cs70 table extension (knobs and screws that got lost). Check the last link in my previous post (or the festool.nl site). (It also has the Dutch prices for the spare parts)

@ riri: The direct links worked only for a while, but if you go to the last one and click on the + before "festool", you can navigate to the ras 180.03E (it's under "surface treatment"> "rotary sanders")

zuma
24th April 2007, 10:06 PM
Aah the breakdown drawings with partnumbers are available on the German site. Great link: ekat.festool.de

Thanks!

zuma
24th April 2007, 10:38 PM
Oké it's very easy to make from a RS 400 a DS 400 sander and vice versa.

I found out that I need only 2 parts to make from my RS 400 a DS 400:

Partnr. 489125 and partnr. 489126. It will cost me a lousy 33 euro's exclusive taxes. To make the change I have to unscrew ad rescrew 8 screws. Which is fine be me. If you don not have the time well simply buy the two machines.

Bet that such a thing is also possible with the Rustofix check the ekat.festool.de link and use the print option. Select to print the breakdown drawing and the partlist. Of both machines you want to convert to and by comparing the two part lists you'll see exactly what's needed to make the conversion.:D :D :D :D

riri
25th April 2007, 08:16 AM
Has anyone used the Rustofix?...Yes i have:U and i immediately put it to work. It does wonders at scrubing old pine floorboards. It does it in a much quicker way than sanding. It is comparable to a heavy duty commercial rotary scraper. The difference is that the rustofix keeps and accentuates the veins and the grain. That is with the wire brush. Then you smooth it down with the nylon/abrasive brush still keeping the grain and the veins. That is an ideal start for cerusing.

The only improvement i will make is a long handle so that you can work upright.

I asked my retailer about reconvert it into a grinder and he confirmed that it is the same machine than the grinder RAS180 ans that all parts are available. I therefore have 2 machines for the (heavy price ) of one.:2tsup:

riri

zuma
26th April 2007, 12:20 AM
Ha Riri be nice and name the partnumbers needed to change the rustofix in to a rotary sander/scraper. Always nice to know waht can be conversed into another machine. Might be a total whole new interesting topic.

riri
28th April 2007, 08:00 PM
Hi,

Here are the parts needed:

2 Allen screws hold the Rustofix attachment to the body. Unscrew these and replace the Rustofix attachment with hood extractor ( part n°441308 ). The sanding pads STF D 180 or 2 F D 180 are screwed directly onto the shaft M14 thread. Another pad for fibres called Elastic D 180 is mounted by a locking nut. I am not sure what is the purpose of this fiber pad.

Very simple in fact.

riri

riri
28th April 2007, 08:52 PM
By the way...anyone has used a RAS 180 sander/grinder? How does it compare with the Rotex?

Thanks,

riri

zuma
2nd May 2007, 06:22 PM
The RAS 180 takes other abrassive tools than sanding paper. So it's lots coarser than a Rotex with sanding paper. My guess is the RAS 180 is for heavy duty renovation work and automotive puprposes and the Rotex is more an all purpose woodworking sander or fine automotive work.

riri
21st July 2007, 02:38 AM
Hi,

Yes i've done it. Now i have a Rustofix and a RAS 180:U

On the picture, a Rotex 150 to show you the size.

Other Festools tools can also be converted into another tool at a fraction of the cost.

riri

riri
18th August 2007, 06:01 PM
Hi,

I got round to do a comparative test between the Rotex 150 versus Ras 180. Playground was old pine floorboard. I used grit 36 for both machines.

For a similar surface, it took 5' fot the Rotex to do the job ( agressive mode ) and only half of that for the RAS 180.

I was surprised how gentle the RAS was. I choose a speed setting between 2 an 3 and you could control it with a finger. Due to the sheer size and weight of the beast, no effort downwards is required. Also, it is softer on the joints than the Rotex.

On the other hand, abrasives on the RAS are clogging very quickly if setting is too high. Abrasives for the RAS are extremely expensive ( 3 euros ).

I have always loved the Rotex and still do. It is a very capable machine that can do everyting except corners. The RAS is extremely powerful and does the job fast and is a very gentle and well balanced machine.

riri

Cclaerhout
11th July 2022, 02:54 AM
I know it’s a old thread but it’s the only one about converting a Rustofix into a RAS180.

I’ve ordered needed spare parts but how is it possible to separate the Rustofix « tool arbor » from the « gear shaft » ? It looks like a single part.

Cclaerhout
11th July 2022, 03:03 AM
Hi,

Yes i've done it. Now i have a Rustofix and a RAS 180:U

On the picture, a Rotex 150 to show you the size.

Other Festools tools can also be converted into another tool at a fraction of the cost.

riri

Here is a picture of my problem to separate the Tool Arbour from the gear shaft:
Picbun - Share Image Links - Minimalist Image Sharing (https://picbun.com/p/dhaB917n)