PDA

View Full Version : Legs for sale

Grumpy John
8th April 2007, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone
Having just mounted my jet 1642 lathe onto a workbench with drawers I now have a pair of cast iron legs (that I'm sure the inventive types that visit this forum could adapt for their own purposes) lying around collecting dust.

I will be listing them on Ebay tomorrow (9th. April) but I thought I'd give you guys first option.

Cheers
GJ

PS. Basket included.

DJ’s Timber
8th April 2007, 12:43 PM
I_wanna_Shed would probably like those, but postage would be a killer I reckon

WillyInBris
8th April 2007, 01:05 PM
Carrum Downs thats in Vic isn't it?

Iain
8th April 2007, 01:26 PM
Carrum Downs thats in Vic isn't it?

Yes, between Frankston and Dandenong, closer to the former.

I_wanna_Shed
9th April 2007, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone
Having just mounted my jet 1642 lathe onto a workbench with drawers I now have a pair of cast iron legs (that I'm sure the inventive types that visit this forum could adapt for their own purposes) lying around collecting dust.

I will be listing them on Ebay tomorrow (9th. April) but I thought I'd give you guys first option.

Cheers
GJ

PS. Basket included.

I_wanna_Shed would probably like those, but postage would be a killer I reckon

Hello John,

Thanks for the email about these, much appreciated. As much as I would love to get my hands on these, I think postage would be the stop in my plan. (The wife's car needs a lot of $$$ at the moment, she would kill me if I spent more on the shed at the moment!).

Thanks again mate.

Nathan.

rsser
3rd June 2009, 03:58 PM
PM sent :D

Manuka Jock
3rd June 2009, 04:12 PM
PM sent :D
better order in a tin of silver gray paint Ern :D

DJ’s Timber
3rd June 2009, 04:20 PM
And you better hope like hell that he hasn't got rid of them yet :o, thread is a little over 2 yrs old :doh:

Grumpy John
3rd June 2009, 04:26 PM
And you better hope like hell that he hasn't got rid of them yet :o, thread is a little over 2 yrs old :doh:

Still got 'em DJ :2tsup:. Ern's responding to a phone call I made re. these very legs.

rsser
3rd June 2009, 04:29 PM
GJ was kind enough to give me a call having seen the thread on a lathe stand under Woodturning.

Jock, yeah, but leave the racing stripes don't you think? :wink:

Manuka Jock
3rd June 2009, 04:37 PM
Jock, yeah, but leave the racing stripes don't you think? :wink:

add a couple more Ern , ya gunna be driving a DVR XP :D

Sawdust Maker
3rd June 2009, 05:18 PM
not sure they'd be strong enough for the DVR :roll:

but good find :2tsup:

wheelinround
3rd June 2009, 05:24 PM
considering DVR legs are just folded panel steel :rolleyes:

Manuka Jock
3rd June 2009, 05:41 PM

How can a cast iron be folded panel steel ?

Sawdust Maker
3rd June 2009, 08:17 PM

Ray
mine are cast like these
(http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/Other/cast_iron_stand.htm)there is also a set as you hint at but can't find a link at the moment

wheelinround
3rd June 2009, 10:03 PM
:no: not a set I saw

Manuka Jock
3rd June 2009, 10:43 PM
:no: not a set I saw

Teknatool have manufactured different types of stands for their Nova lathes over the years.

I was told that a bout 6 years ago , there were steel stands that were sent out for mainly display and demonstration purposes. Some were sold to the end users.
The recommendation was to build shelves into them , bolt to the floor , and weigh them down.

rsser
3rd June 2009, 10:44 PM
There's a range of stands out there. In the US you see some with a pressed steel job, and there's also a hybrid with cast iron brackets and steel tube legs.

Edit: Jock, you beat me by that much ;-}

RETIRED
3rd June 2009, 10:45 PM
Teknatool have manufactured different types of stands for their Nova lathes over the years.

I was told that a bout 6 years ago , there were steel stands that were sent out for mainly display and demonstration purposes. Some were sold to the end users.
The recommendation was to build shelves into them , bolt to the floor , and weigh them down.Yep. The first cast legs I have seen from teknatool were on the 1624.

Grumpy John
6th June 2009, 09:10 AM
not sure they'd be strong enough for the DVR :roll:

but good find :2tsup:

Ray
mine are cast like these (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/Other/cast_iron_stand.htm)
(http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/Other/cast_iron_stand.htm)there is also a set as you hint at but can't find a link at the moment

Nick, I took a look at the link you posted and noticed that the legs weighed 22Kg each. The Jet legs that I'm offering Ern are also cast iron and weigh in at 35Kg each, they should be capable of supporting the DVR.

Sawdust Maker
6th June 2009, 10:08 AM
I was just :stirthepot:

I actually think that if it could be adapted to fit then great :2tsup:
I've seen the jet legs and they seem to be as solid as. and they have go fast stripes:!

Grumpy John
6th June 2009, 12:33 PM
I was just :stirthepot:

No worries Nick, I was mainly posting the info for Ern and anyone else interested :).