PDA

View Full Version : colored woods

ticklingmedusa
8th April 2007, 03:31 PM
Plundered material from another website, might be interesting to some
tm

""What I do is inject colored dye into trees while they are still growing; it becomes part of the tree as it grows," he says. "I've been doing it for 40 years. I came up with the idea because I wanted to get color into wood but didn't want to stain it because stain covers it up. At the time, I was making wood jewelry with my dad.

"The woods here are blase compared to the hardwoods back East. Aspen and pine are so white, so I thought of a way to grow color into the trees."
Frink and his son, Shawn, 28, inject trees with environmentally safe, water-based dye, wait about two weeks for the trees' vascular systems to spread the color and then they cut them down. The trees are hauled from private land in Walden to Tom Frink's place in Red Creek Ranch west of Pueblo. There, father and son saw and kiln-dry the lumber and store it."
http://www.tswoods.com (http://www.tswoods.com/)

rsser
9th April 2007, 08:20 AM
Well if only they could inject some fiddleback or flame.

Strange.

btw, how's the workshop working TM?

dai sensei
9th April 2007, 10:04 AM
Interesting concept. I couldn't get any of the photos to come up on the web site though.

DJ’s Timber
9th April 2007, 10:46 AM
Neil, I thought they didn't either but there server is slow at sending them, try giving it some time

ticklingmedusa
9th April 2007, 06:17 PM
Well if only they could inject some fiddleback or flame.

Strange.

We'll get the genetic engineering dept. on it right away! :oo:

btw, how's the workshop working TM?

After a 3 or 4 month hiatus its good to be in the dust again.
Its been a long and colder than normal winter here.
I started playing last week out there and the Nova coupled with
the other improvements have made turning easier and safer.
I'm grateful for all the pointers I got here.
Sooner or later I'll get a few photos up.
I'm too busy turning to take the camera and figure out the download
thing.
Peace,
tm

joe greiner
9th April 2007, 11:54 PM
I found something like that a year or so ago, but didn't bookmark it. I think I locked on the experience, and dismissed it as the duration; I didn't realize it worked as fast as it does. Could be interesting.

Joe

cedar n silky
13th April 2007, 10:10 PM
At last years Brisbane woodwork show, I chatted to an exhibitor named Robert Dunlop. He is an excelent cabinet maker/ sculptor, and his peices were amazing. He showed me some colured timber samples that were grown/ injected with coloured dies. They look quite incredible.
My recolection is vague, but he said they grew them in Europe and America (post 2nd world war), and I beleive he did it in Queensland with some success as well.