PDA

View Full Version : Building a Wall

robert
17th July 2003, 09:31 PM
:confused: I am wanting to find out if there are any "guides" on the net for building an internal wall. I have a cement floor and a timber roof (Under the house :> ) and I was wanting to close it in to use the triton I own. But being new to all this I'm not sure where to look. Any help would be appreciated. I know the basics, but building a wall is not a specialty.

journeyman Mick
17th July 2003, 11:57 PM
This should probably be in the renovations section, but here's my 2.2c worth. Whatever you end up doing (probably timber stud wall, sheeted with fibro on the outside) you must make sure that you build out termites. Those metal caps on top of the piers are there to stop them getting up into the rest of the house and eating it out. If you build a wall inbetween the piers you will bridge the barrier system so talk to a reputable pest controller (that's probably an oxymoron) about termite barriers before you start.

Mick

Gino
20th July 2003, 10:40 PM
Mick is right you might consider a product called "Termimesh" it looks similar to fly wire but is made of a high grade stainless steel.
I had it installed on my house so as to save me spraying chemicals.
the way it was applied to my house was in the damp course of the brick, it was flush with the outside wall but over hung on the inside so as to slow the little buggers down.
Possibly in your case you may have to over hang it on both sides of the wall. But as long as you can still inspect it.
You best bet would be to contact termimesh direct.

Other than that it looks like a simple job, if your not sure about a stud wall just take a drive to a housing estate under construction.

Gino