PDA

View Full Version : First turning since year nine or ten.

himzol
9th April 2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Guys,

As some of you know I recently aquired an MC900 clone. Well the weekend was long and even though there were many jobs around the house (including anual shed clean) I did find some time to play with my new toy. This is the result:

Timber is Red Gum ( from an old retaining wall)
Finish: sand upto 1200 and the Triple E and Shella wax

BTW this was supposed to be a practice run at using the lathe and getting used to the chisels etc, so the result is a pleasant surprise.

Himzo

DJ’s Timber
9th April 2007, 09:21 PM
Nice one :2tsup:, looks like everyone having a go at their first bowls this weekend

AlexS
10th April 2007, 01:44 PM
Good one Himzol - I obviously have to put more work into sanding & finishing.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th April 2007, 07:18 PM
I'd say that's River Redgum, just to be finicky. :wink:

Good finish for a long absence... not quite as easy as getting back on a bike, is it? :D

himzol
10th April 2007, 08:41 PM
I'd say that's River Redgum, just to be finicky. :wink:

Good finish for a long absence... not quite as easy as getting back on a bike, is it? :D

Thanks Skew... The finish was a bit of a test, so much tear out :oo: . I actually resorted to my cabinet scrapers to get most of that out, then got to work on the sandpaper etc.

Also got some help from Dave from MIK, it really is great having people like that around. He gave me some pointers on how to set up a jam chuck etc.. still need to set up a Longworth chuck so that I can finish of the base :B

Himzo

Doughboy
10th April 2007, 08:54 PM
Top stuff Himzol.

Looking good from where I sit, and it is a huge help to have people you can lean on for information when needed.

Tornatus
10th April 2007, 09:20 PM
Ripper effort for your return to the fold, Himzo - just goes to show that you don't need these fancy million-dollar lathes, that Certain People are always name-dropping about, to produce a fine piece of work from a pretty dreadful timber (in terms of workability, that is). :brava