PDA

View Full Version : Gouge tool for bowl turning

G00se
18th July 2003, 04:55 PM
A hoy hoy,

I have not been turning for long and have started looking for challenges in the bowl turning field. The only problem is I do not have the tools.

Can anyone give me advice on tool set or recommend a good (and cheap) manufacture of gouge tools for beginners. I have a full set of spindle tools, but no bowl gouge tool.

arose62
19th July 2003, 10:23 AM
I've only attempted 3 bowls so far, and I'm using the scrapers from my SuperCheap Auto $19 chisel set, plus a P&N Bowl gouge I bought from "The Woodworks" shop in Gowings in Sydney.

I've also seen a few quality gouges at the Toukley markets, and at Morriset markets, but at both places they were asking more for old tools than for the price of brand new ones!

Cheers,
Andrew

G00se
19th July 2003, 01:11 PM
arose62

When are these markets on (i am assuming monthly)?

Can you recommend any shop to go and see at these markets.:rolleyes:

DavidG
19th July 2003, 08:46 PM
Get an 18mm P&N bowl gouge.

http://www.carbatecact.com.au/

G00se
21st July 2003, 10:28 AM
David, I have the written catalogue for Carb-tec but there is no reference to 'P&N' tools only 'Hamlet'. Is there a P&N distributor in Australia?

journeyman Mick
21st July 2003, 10:42 AM
Carba tec used to carry P&N but now carry Hamlet. P&N is still available from Timbecon in WA prices are roughly the same.

Mick

colh
21st July 2003, 11:53 AM
the supplier of the Unijig - George someone from Harbord in Sydney - also sells good bowl gouges - I have the 16mm one. He was at the Sydney WWW show on the Trend Timbers stand - he might be at the Newcastle wood show in mid August.

can anyone else think of George's last name? - starts with "A"

Colin

Sir Stinkalot
21st July 2003, 02:44 PM
Try Jim Carroll
CWS (http://www.cws.au.com/)
Under strangely enough .... woodturning tools.
:)

colh
21st July 2003, 03:10 PM
or Hycut Tools, 02 9905 0220

arose62
21st July 2003, 06:19 PM
Goose,

the Toukley markets are on every Sunday. There's an Indian gentleman who has a large range of stuff, and high prices, and another elderly gentleman who has a much smaller range - often junk, but an occasional jewel, and who is happy to negotiate if you talk about what you are using the tools for.

I've also seen a couple of sets of turning tools at the stalls towards the eastern end of the markets.

Not sure about the timing of the Morriset markets - I'm pretty sure they're monthly. First Sunday of each month, perhaps ??

Cheers,
Andrew

DavidG
21st July 2003, 08:53 PM
Carba-Tec ACT has them.
Get the contact details off the web site.