PDA

View Full Version : turned tools for lace makers

Jenny Brandis
10th April 2007, 10:13 AM
A recent visit from a Wagga Wagga turner made me realise that not all turners would be aware of the tools lace makers use that are *turned*

Lets see now, there is the pricker, a tool that is used to prick holes into the pattern card. This is usually one of the following types

Decoratively turned length with a sewing needle inserted and glued into a small hole at one end. Often this is the use for the bobbin that broke at its neck :)

Decorative turned length with a pin vice inserted into the business end. Thus allowing the pin to be replaced as it blunts. (costs more)

Then there is the
Lace roller - looks like a miniture rolling pin with a hole through the bulb ends to insert long pins through to anchor it to the pillow. Length can vary but generally smallest I have seen is 6cm long by 1.5cm at its widest. The largest I have seen was 18cm long x 2cm wide. Used to wrap the finished lace around while you continue to work on more.

Followed by:
Divider pins - decorative turned or beaded top (2.5cm long x 6mm wide) with sewing needle inserted into hole at base. This needle has the eye cut off and the cut end is inserted. Used to hold the bobbins on the pillow aside as one works. Can also be used as a place holder.

Some ideas for those of you who have lace makers in your area.

Outsider
10th April 2007, 01:45 PM
Jenny,

I think I made sense of your great descriptions, but.

Who was it said a picture is better than one thousand words, us blokes are a bit dense:D.

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th April 2007, 07:24 PM
Lace roller - looks like a miniture rolling pin with a hole through the bulb ends to insert long pins through to anchor it to the pillow. Length can vary but generally smallest I have seen is 6cm long by 1.5cm at its widest. The largest I have seen was 18cm long x 2cm wide. Used to wrap the finished lace around while you continue to work on more.

This is a new one to me. Sorta. I make something similar for the ladies, but 'tis wrapped in batting (as used in quilts) and covered with material so they can pin the start of their work to it before rolling. I assume this is the same thing?

As Outsider said: pix would be nice... :wink:

Jenny Brandis
10th April 2007, 10:40 PM
You need but ask :2tsup:

Divider pins are also called striver pins
This roller is a small one
3 failed bobbins have become prickers :)
Reel holder - needed to make the shaft thinner to fit the thread reel hole - fits the bigger reels of thread though
pinvise - this is a commercial one but easy to make your own designs

Jenny Brandis
10th April 2007, 10:44 PM
The cream one is a bone bobbin that broke :) Just added the bent needle to make this lasy susan.
The other has a superfine crochet hook bent and inserted. Also called a lasy susan - just to confuse folks
The other two - well they are commercial ones the claw one is a pin lifter the other is a pin pusher (the rod of metal has a concave end to hold the head of the pin as you push it down)

More information that you ever thought you would get :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th April 2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks Jenny!

So, a use for failed bobbins, eh? That bit of info alone was worth the asking. :wink:

Jenny Brandis
10th April 2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks Jenny!

So, a use for failed bobbins, eh? That bit of info alone was worth the asking. :wink:

The divider pins can start life as bobbins too :D The taller black one is Indian Ebony and was going to be a bobbin until I did something :no:.

I liked the top bit so much that I made the other 4 to (sort of) match it.

If you are going to make these sorts for sale - I can tell you want the commercial versions cost :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th April 2007, 11:46 PM
The divider pins can start life as bobbins too :D The taller black one is Indian Ebony and was going to be a bobbin until I did something :no:.

I liked the top bit so much that I made the other 4 to (sort of) match it.

If you are going to make these sorts for sale - I can tell you want the commercial versions cost :D

No, not for sale. Unless asked, of course. But I'm pretty sure the dividing pins, lazy susan's etc. would come in handy for other things besides lace-making. Quilting is one thing immediately pops to mind.

I'll make up a few as a surprise for SWMBO, then sit back and see... :D

Jenny Brandis
10th April 2007, 11:58 PM
I'll make up a few as a surprise for SWMBO, then sit back and see... :D
Let us know what she thinks of them - pics of course are now obliguatory :U

lubbing5cherubs
11th April 2007, 03:29 PM
do you make metal ends too?