View Full Version : Amazing Table saw safety

glock40sw
12th April 2007, 07:05 PM
Have a look at this video.

Amazing stuff

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bfd_1176295520

Lignum
12th April 2007, 07:27 PM
And some thought the Domino caused controversy here:oo: The Sawstop has been a ripper to follow on the overseas forums:D

watson
12th April 2007, 07:48 PM
Geez doesn't that take the fun out of it

DavidG
12th April 2007, 08:17 PM
We have had this before I think. :;

Harry72
12th April 2007, 08:27 PM
Yes a few times!
Nice saw tho.

rrich
14th April 2007, 03:22 PM
I sit here and just shake my head...

SawStop has a really neat magnifying hairline fence indicator. It is so neat that a few weeks ago I tried to purchase one and adapt it to my Delta and Biesemeyer. (Yeah it is that cool.) So I contact SawStop and then tell me that the price is $3 and it is available through their company.

So, I write a letter ordering the hairline and enclose a $5 note to cover hairline and postage. As the postal carrier has been at the house for the day, I leave the envelope on the kitchen counter and then send an e-mail saying that the order and $5 is on the way. Then I get an almost immediate reply saying that shipping is $15. I respond that I caught the letter before the postal carrier. Because I have some one that lives within 5 miles of their warehouse, I ask if the $15 shipping still applies for will-call. I'm still waiting for a response.

One only has to wonder what the shipping is on the "stop" cartrige costs.

Iain
14th April 2007, 05:54 PM
I first saw that about 5 years ago, but would you be game to see if it works on a finger not protected by a snag:?
And what effect would that sudden stop have on the blade, bearings and everything else in the modified drive train?

Honorary Bloke
14th April 2007, 09:39 PM
I first saw that about 5 years ago, but would you be game to see if it works on a finger not protected by a snag:?
And what effect would that sudden stop have on the blade, bearings and everything else in the modified drive train?

Yeah, it works on fingers and wet wood. The sudden stop ruins the blade and brake cartridge, which must both be replaced each time. But perhaps better than losing a finger. :wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2007, 09:59 PM
Can it be installed by the end user or is that done "in shop?"

Come to that, is the cartridge user replaceable or does the saw have to be sent back to th4e shop after it's tripped?

Honorary Bloke
14th April 2007, 10:07 PM

Come to that, is the cartridge user replaceable or does the saw have to be sent back to th4e shop after it's tripped?

User replaceable, Skew.

rrich
15th April 2007, 02:31 PM

Come to that, is the cartridge user replaceable or does the saw have to be sent back to the shop after it's tripped?

Actually, you will change the brake cartrige many times. A dado blade, due to its smaller diameter, requires a different brake cartridge.

From the pictures that I've seen of a brake cartrige that has "tripped", the aluminum brake material appears to be welded (Not really welded but it's the only word that I can think of.) to the saw blade. It is generally accepted that both the blade and brake cartrige are destroyed when the saw trips. Out of curiosity, I am the type that would try to remove the aluminum brake of the cartrige from the steel and carbide blade just to see if the blade is salvagable.

Toolin Around
15th April 2007, 03:24 PM
I think I'll wait a few more years and see what the user reviews are on the mechanism. I'm suspect on its reliability (far too many variables with respect to the environment around the saw) and on the damaged caused to the rest of the saw in general when a blade is stopped that quickly. That blade stopped in what looked like less than a 1/4 turn. I highly doubt the next blade will run true on a saw that has experienced the sort of forces associated with such a catastrophic and sudden stop.

Harry72
15th April 2007, 07:13 PM
AT, I think with the sue everyone laws in the USA the saw would be tested in every conceivable environment and the saw would be built to take the sudden stop.

rrich
17th April 2007, 02:25 PM
I think I'll wait a few more years and see what the user reviews are on the mechanism. I'm suspect on its reliability (far too many variables with respect to the environment around the saw) and on the damaged caused to the rest of the saw in general when a blade is stopped that quickly. That blade stopped in what looked like less than a 1/4 turn. I highly doubt the next blade will run true on a saw that has experienced the sort of forces associated with such a catastrophic and sudden stop.

Please understand that there are two actions taking place when the cartrige trips. The first is the aluminum thingie ramming itself into the saw blade. The second action is that the blade is being dropped below the table. I think that the second action prevents the arbour damage that you are concerned with.

IMHO, the saw will not be a viable product until the cartrige is available from a second or third source. (i.e. Similar in concept to generic drugs.) I considered the saw when I purchased my new saw. The cartrige second source was a major issue for me and a left tilt only was the feature that squashed the deal.

rod1949
17th April 2007, 03:49 PM
First time I've seen it and I reckon its bloody brilliant.

Toolin Around
17th April 2007, 06:08 PM
Please understand that there are two actions taking place when the cartrige trips. The first is the aluminum thingie ramming itself into the saw blade. The second action is that the blade is being dropped below the table. I think that the second action prevents the arbour damage that you are concerned with.

IMHO, the saw will not be a viable product until the cartrige is available from a second or third source. (i.e. Similar in concept to generic drugs.) I considered the saw when I purchased my new saw. The cartrige second source was a major issue for me and a left tilt only was the feature that squashed the deal.

There is a whole frame work that holds the arbor and it's bearings. Taking a blade thats spinning at around 3000rpm and stopping it in less than a 1/4 turn will exert an increadible amount of force on that frame and the other parts that hold that frame... You can can't deny that there's going to be some serious amount of flex taking place in the whole mechanism and I doubt things will go back together perfectly afterwards. Most people would be greatful, me included, if the saw self distructed but saved a body part but it would be wishful thinking to expect the saw to ever cut true ever again.

soundman
17th April 2007, 10:22 PM
I've seen this thing before

I honestly think it is an ill concieved device.

It addresses only a small part of the safety concerns of the table saw and functioning of the safety device results in permanent damage to the tool in use requiring repair.

Consider the cost of tripping the safety device regardless of cause.

If you use nice saw blades and the cost of the brake cartridge it would not be unreasonable to sa $200 each time plus the down time.
There is no way it will take less than 1/2 an hour probaly more like an hour to replace the various parts.

No sorry bad idea.:no:

cheers

joe greiner
17th April 2007, 11:00 PM
Good idea for untrained idjits who shouldn't be using such a tool anyway. For the rest of us, training and enlightened precautions are hard to beat. And in a workplace situation, enforcement of safety rules. About 35 years ago, we had an old phard cabinetmaker who absolutely refused to use a push stick; sure enough, one day he merrily shoved his thumb through the blade. Should have been sacked before then.

Joe