PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Vista v's Win 98 Networking problem

thetassiebfg
14th April 2007, 01:08 AM
Greetingsall boffins of the computer kind.

I am wondering if any of you can help me with an issue I have.. I have just got myself a Laptop that runs vista and would like it to talk to my desktop that is still on WIN98.. I know it can, I got an ex demo model and it was networking ok before i did a system restore to get rid of all the annoying paraphanalia that had been placed on it)

I have attempted googling but have not had much luck that is comprehensible to me so please keep any help simple

I am using an ethernet cable directly between the two computers, and assuming it has not died on me overnight

Ensuring workgroup = same name
Dns both correct (as far as i can tell)
Ping (no communication between computers)

Any Ideas.. it may be something simple but I'm not a boffin - I just know enough to get myself into trouble so may not have given necessary info just let me know what you need to help.

Waiting in anticipation

Thetassiebfg

(please keep all flaming re vista to a minimum - no more than a tall building engulfed in fire)

black1
14th April 2007, 02:05 AM
i think that ya have to have a crossover cable to link directly from one comp to another. get a small 4 port hub. i think crossover cables are red(the only one ive seen is this colour)(bought this way). normal cat 5 cable is blue. this link may explain it better http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable1.htm. this is called a peer to peer network

dickies sell cat 6 crossover cable 20bucks for 3metres

old_picker
14th April 2007, 02:26 AM
get yerself a copy of xp and trash vista its a waste of time
then you will have an easy time to nw the two machines

use a router then u can mak it really easy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2007, 11:19 AM
From ME onwards, I've never had much luck establishing reliable networking to a W98 system with a dynamic address. Have you tried assigning static IP addresses to both machines before pinging? Do you know how to use the Ipconfig and Netstat cmds to check/verify settings?

(I'm assuming that because it was working previously, the cabling isn't an issue. AFAIK, x-over cables don't reconfigure 'emselves overnight. :wink:)

FWIW, a good basic reference that covers nw'ing mixed M$ OS's is this document (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=87C0A6DB-AEF8-4BEF-925E-7AC9BE791028&displaylang=en) from Microsoft. Admittedly, it only covers up to XP but things haven't changed that much in Vista, no matter what may be claimed. :rolleyes:

Gumby
14th April 2007, 11:50 AM
I'm with Skew, it's definitely not a cable issue since it was working before.

I also manually configure my cards.

This site may help:

http://www.ozcableguy.com/

thetassiebfg
14th April 2007, 12:58 PM
Thank you for your responses.. Skew and Gumby thanks for the links I'll be checking them out. Hopefully they will give me more info on what you have suggested.

I am attempting not to spend more money so extra hubs and routers are out.. if it has worked once it will work again.. somehow. the question is whether I will have any hair or mental capacity left by that stage

Flaming of vista rating currently stands at Small Flame (not even enough to cook a marshmallow) well done on your restraint.

Cheers

manoftalent
14th April 2007, 04:48 PM
Greetingsall boffins of the computer kind.

I am wondering if any of you can help me with an issue I have.. I have just got myself a Laptop that runs vista and would like it to talk to my desktop that is still on WIN98.. I know it can, I got an ex demo model and it was networking ok before i did a system restore to get rid of all the annoying paraphanalia that had been placed on it)

I have attempted googling but have not had much luck that is comprehensible to me so please keep any help simple

I am using an ethernet cable directly between the two computers, and assuming it has not died on me overnight

Ensuring workgroup = same name
Dns both correct (as far as i can tell)
Ping (no communication between computers)

Any Ideas.. it may be something simple but I'm not a boffin - I just know enough to get myself into trouble so may not have given necessary info just let me know what you need to help.

Waiting in anticipation

Thetassiebfg

(please keep all flaming re vista to a minimum - no more than a tall building engulfed in fire)

sounds like your missing software from the previous setup, I take it you have already run microsofts network wizard and failed to connect ....so I would go back to previous desktop settings (undo the restore point)..and manually delete the annoying stuff you mentioned with system restore turned OFF......reboot so your settings save themselves ........... turn on system restore again.....this ensures that the annoying stuff never comes back .....then I would "name" that checkpoint with something .....this prevents the pc from overwriting it to save space ....

thetassiebfg
17th April 2007, 12:18 AM
sounds like your missing software from the previous setup, I take it you have already run microsofts network wizard and failed to connect ....

Thanks for the Advice..

My Brother in Law will be coming around and as he is a computer boffin will get him to have a look.

I have attempted what I as a mere mortal can and shall leave it to an expert.

Thanks all for your advice and words of wisdom

thetassiebfg

WillyInBris
30th April 2007, 06:28 PM
Hi Mate,

Vista has a new and improved what they call TCP Stack this could be the problem, 98 is no longer supported so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get shares both ways at all.

They want you to upgrade that 98 operating system thats why it doesn't work like it did on XP, well thats my guess.

Can you see the win98PC shares from the one you have vista on from what I have been told ya can get that to work?

When they released the first few Beta versions on Vista you couldn't connect to other XP Computers as you needed to upgrade the the XP TCIP stack for it to work and Microsoft hadn't released a patch now it is out of beta they have upgraded the stack on XP so all works fine but I don't think they would have done it for 98 as its not supported anymore.

So to be honest Good Luck.

China
30th April 2007, 10:39 PM
If that is your only problem with Vista you are one the lucky ones

old_picker
30th April 2007, 11:00 PM
The easiest way is to go buy a copy of xp home, format the hard disk on the lappie load xp and your worries will be over.

Take it from me, and i work computers all day every day, your computer will run much better and ur network problems will solve themselves.

vista is half baked and was only released to satisfy the antitrust law suit in the states
dunno whether you've notice but the ad campaign for vista has been scotched and that is fore good reason

i pity all the shops that have stock of laptops and branded boxes with vista coz people just aint buyin it

Cliff Rogers
30th April 2007, 11:59 PM
I saw a new laptop running Vista that was supplied with a 3 month trial version of Norton's Internet Security....:rolleyes: you didn't happen to try it did you. :cool:

The firewall in it or several of the other flavours of well meaning 'do good' helper software kill networking deader than a do-do. :((