PDA

View Full Version : How is Paulownia for turning?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2007, 09:47 PM
I was just scanning the New Posts and noticed one on Paulownia, which reminded me of a couple of smallish (4-6" diameter) branches I have sitting in the shed.

They were dropped off by a friend and simply thrown on one of my racks where I promptly forgot about it. At a cursory glance it looks as though it'll be a fairly fibrous but bland wood. Does anyone have any experience with turning it? Worthwhile? A nightmare?

I know I can answer my own questions by simply throwing some on the lathe, but it's always nice to have some idea of what to expect. :wink:

Tony Morton
14th April 2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Skew
I tried some it was from the trunk of tree well seasoned jes very bland, soft and turned cross grain there was a lot of tear out may be ok for spindle work but I think it would rate behind pinus crappus as a turning timber.

Cheers Tony

hughie
15th April 2007, 08:53 AM
it would rate behind pinus crappus as a turning timber.

yep it kinda rates that way. :C

I have wondered if the root ball might have some redeeming features to offer

cedar n silky
15th April 2007, 11:00 AM
I am about to cut down a large paulownia, which I planted a bit close to the workshop. For a tree that is a little over 10 years old, the growth is incredible. I told a freind who is a model boat builder, and his ears pricked up because that's what they are building them from these days, as an alternative to balsa, which is very expensive now apparantly.:D

tashammer
15th April 2007, 11:03 AM
maybe it's because it grows so damn quick? i did see a web site, i think it was Chinese, where they were illustrating bare pawlonia built in furniture put me in mind of gruel or beige.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th April 2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks folks, it sounds like those branches can stay on my pile for a while longer... until I need a chock or stickers for some "real" wood. :)

Wild Dingo
15th April 2007, 04:38 PM
I have read somewhere or other that Kiri Pauliwannas other name... was once planted by a father at the birth of his daughter once the daughter reached marriage age the tree was felled and all her furniture built from it to make her dowery... which given its quick grown wouldnt surprise me... the only thing about it thats negative from what I understand is that its a boring timber as in grain wise

So for anything but turning or where a good grain set is needed it would be brilliant :2tsup:

BernieP
15th April 2007, 05:24 PM
G'Day Skew

According to a site on the web it says "Paulownia is light in weight and colour, yet it is strong, dries easily, has a beautiful grain, does not warp, crack or deform easily. The wood is easy to work with and suitable for the
manufacture of furniture, plywood, moldings, doors and many other uses." Doesn't mention turning. Site is http://www.paulowniatrees.com.au/

Cheers
Bernie

Tony Morton
15th April 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi Cedar N Silky
To get the best ot of the tree cut it down during the dark moons ie june july august sap is down and hasnt started to rise will season a lot quicker this way.

Cheers Tony

cedar n silky
16th April 2007, 05:22 PM
Hi Cedar N Silky
To get the best ot of the tree cut it down during the dark moons ie june july august sap is down and hasnt started to rise will season a lot quicker this way.

Cheers Tony
Thanks for that. Iwill keep that in mind.:2tsup:

Barry Hicks
16th April 2007, 06:56 PM
Pawlonia was being touted some years back as the greatest thing ever to come to Oz. The only ones to make $'s were the urgers who were selling the seeds/seedlings. It is very invasive and hard to eradicate if you are planning on planting some.
As far as I know, the only thing it is useful for is making coffins.

bitingmidge
16th April 2007, 06:59 PM
As far as I know, the only thing it is useful for is making coffins.
Better do some more reading then Barry!

P
:D :D :D

tashammer
16th April 2007, 09:33 PM
Aye, i recall that well. It was going to be the next best thing since snake oil, another get rich scheme that the eager and willing latched on to. You can just see them, flocks of them screaming, 'Fleece me, fleece me," and "Fleece me too" and then "We've been fleeced, hey, we bin fleeced, who's gonna save us?", then "Why dint the gubbmint save us?", "We don't want no regulation" (apologies to the Pink Floydites). etc etc.

Still, with those leaves the size of dustbin leaves maybe they would be good for composting.

i wonder what a piece of pawlonia would look like stained? Pity it is such a bland colour. Still, even bland is ok if you don't mind painting it.

Wild Dingo
17th April 2007, 02:44 AM
i wonder what a piece of pawlonia would look like stained? Pity it is such a bland colour. Still, even bland is ok if you don't mind painting it.

I will head out to the shed tomorrow and see what it does... actually it may well turn out quite nice Im thinking

anyway will have a burl and see what happens

Oh and planting Kiri trees was one of my first thoughts when we bought this place thanks for the link..

tashammer
17th April 2007, 02:46 AM
Good-oh WD, i will look forward to the result.