PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Nightmare

Kevin2003
22nd July 2003, 10:22 AM
G'day all

I need some help!

I've just got the Carba-Tec 14" Deluxe (SBW 3501) with the professional rip fence and can I get this thing to resaw straight, I wish.

I'm trying to resaw 100mm hardwood at a width of 15mm using a 3/4" 3tpi blade. The problem, the wood pulls away from the rear of the fence by about 5-1Omm, it feels like the blade is trying to cut into the wood.

I've spent a lot of time trying to get this machine to run right and this is the situation:
Tension-taken this to the max
Guides- adjusted and realigned
Wheels- checked alignment
Fence- this is square to the blade, even marked a line on a piece of 15mm wood and cut free hand (nice cut) and aliened the fence to this and guess what, the fence is spot on!
I've even been back to Carba-Tec and swapped the Blade and picked up a set of new guide blocks, just in case.
Checked my technique over and over again

Now this little machine will cut 15-20mm wood as straight as and cuts ok with out the fence but I would like it to resaw at least 100mm and over, for door panels etc, I would also like to cut my tenons on it too.

I'm starting to wish I bought the cheaper model and saved my self about $300.

Any advice would greatly appreciated, as I don't have much hair left.

Thanks,
Kevin

P.S I've ordered a copy of the Bandsaw Book by L Bird, it will take about week to arrive

Toymaker Len
22nd July 2003, 12:30 PM
I use a bandsaw nearly every day Kev and rarely use the rip fence at all. You'll find that it is just in the nature of bandsaws to wander a bit given that there are tiny variations in the timber and the blade is flexible and able to deflect. Also you will rarely find a bandsaw blade that actually cuts dead straight, they will always track slightly to the left or the right, after all they do have a weld in the middle That said I have no trouble cutting 1mm veneer off blocks up to about 150mm thick but i do it freehand following a fine black line and use a new blade. (blades might last for hours but it is really the first half an hour when they are really sharp) If you want to resaw planks against a fence you are much better off using the table saw where the circular blade strongly resists deflection. Good luck.

journeyman Mick
22nd July 2003, 03:27 PM
When you say you've aligned the wheels, do you mean you've pulled all the covers off the machine and put a straight edge against them to check that they're on the same plane and absolutely on the same centreline? Have a look at the June issue of Australian Wood Review, it has an excellent article on tuning bandsaws. Good luck.

Mick

Kevin2003
23rd July 2003, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the advise Len, I called Carba-Tec today and spoke to one of their “bandsaw experts” I’m cutting Amoora and he said that this is a particularly difficult wood to cut on a bandsaw because of the interlocking grain. I’ll see how well it copes with a different wood on the next project. I think freehand is going to be the way to go as I only have a 10” table saw (need a bigger workshop)

Thanks Mick, I did take off the covers and use a straight edge to check the plane, however I didn’t check the centerline (will do that tomorrow). I’ve got the June issue of Australian Wood Review and it is an excellent article.

One thing I did notice is, that after centering the blade on the two wheels and taking up the tension, when I track the blade the top wheel has to lean to the rear of the machine quite a bit to get the tracking right, thus the blade is sitting centered on the top wheel and towards the front of the bottom wheel. Is this normal?

Thanks again
Kevin

barnsey
23rd July 2003, 12:26 PM
Kev

Was using my old man's bandsaw the other day to cut up a piece of rather green camphor laurel using the fence.

Found that cutting in one direction the grain in the timber caused the blade to wander and I wound up with more of a wedge than I was after. Next cut, swapped the stock end to end to run the other way through and got a better result.

To my (and the old man's) knowledge bandsaws and trying to rip as you would on a circular saw is a bit hit and miss depending on the timber. The blade will follow the grain.

I used the bandsaw because I didn't want to lose the 3mm per cut the circular saw uses and in this situation I could use the more timber at the sacrifice of the accuracy. If I'd wanted good even slats I would have used the table saw albeit more wasteful.

My tupence for what it's worth.

Jamie