PDA

View Full Version : Triton dust respirator

jimj
15th April 2007, 07:34 AM
Sorry for the dumb question and this may have already been discussed. Any suggestions on how to remove a worn in smudge from the plastic face mask. It resulted from my initially storing the helmet in the box with the face mask sitting on the bottom of the box.I now place it in a protective cloth bag. It is hard enough at my age to see close up with glasses, wear the gear, sand off timber decks AND look through a smudge on the plastic.

Thanks for any help

Jim J

Gumby
15th April 2007, 08:15 AM
It's only perspex so you'd need to be very careful but you could try some toothpaste as a fine polish. Other than that, replacements are available and aren't expensive. I think around $20. Try ordering from your local Bunnings spare parts section.

scooter
15th April 2007, 02:01 PM
Actually polycarbonate, Gumby.

I'd try any very fine cutting type polish you might have at home, toothpaste as Gumby said, or Brasso / Silvo / Autosol, car duco swirl remover.... you get the idea.

Try an auto parts store (like Autobarn, Supercheap, etc) for platic polishes, I think Meguires have 2 types available.

Experiment on old safety specs or something else expendable.

Hot tip - my dad can testify that thinners is no good for cleaning polycarb motorbike windscreens... :D

Good luck, & post back your results. :2tsup:

Cheers..................Sean

Sprog
15th April 2007, 03:12 PM
MicroMesh is used to polish out scratches in aircraft windows back to optical clarity.
Great for woodworking also :D

Micromesh (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MICRO-MESH-SANDING-POLISH-KIT-WOOD-PLASTIC-CRAFT-TOOL_W0QQitemZ160105675797QQihZ006QQcategoryZ2594QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Gumby
15th April 2007, 03:35 PM
Actually polycarbonate, Gumby.
Oh well, it's close enuf :wink:
Polycarbonate, PVC, COD, POA, STD, it's all the same to me. :D

glynhouse
15th April 2007, 08:26 PM
When I was in the construction industry CIG had a very similar full face mask but not ventilated. they also sold a small bottle of polish for it to remove scratches etc good stuff they may bot still have it.
DD

jimj
15th April 2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the help in one day. That is what makes this forum so great. I will pursue your advice and report back on my success.

Jim J

TrevorOwen
15th April 2007, 11:15 PM
Jim

I have successfully polished shallow scratches out of plastic or polycarbonate using Brasso

Regards from Adelaide
Trevor

gyro
24th April 2007, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=jimj;496136]Sorry for the dumb question and this may have already

You can get a kit for removig scratches of of CD's this works well as it is a two part application, I think the first part fills the holes then the second part is the polish. try JB hi fi or a computer shop.

regards Gyro