PDA

View Full Version : Workshops - are they worth the money?

Grumpy John
15th April 2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Guys
I've reached a stage in my turning where I'm not happy with the quality of some of my pieces. I am keen to go to the next level and am considering enrolling in either Len Smith's or Vic Wood's workshop. I would appreciate any comments you may have on these workshops or workshops in general.

Cheers
GJ

fred.n
15th April 2007, 12:06 PM
To be able to pick the brains of some 'serious' turners, can only be a good thing.! IMHO. Go for it all gunns blazing. If as you say your getting a little unhappy with your work, a fresh outlook from these guys might be all you need. Best of luck

WillyInBris
15th April 2007, 12:11 PM
Hi GJ,

I go to a Brisbane class every Sunday not dure if you would call it a workshop and have learned so much which meant that I am happy with the pieces I produce and when I catch or something the instructor is on hand to show me a different way to go about it and why it happened.

The other thing I find in a kshop is that you also learn from each others creativity as well as each others mistakes, a bit of a red face some time but I am so glad that I decided to go and will keep attending.

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2007, 12:29 PM
GJ you could try Stephen Hughes, been a while since I've seen him but he did do courses and he is or was at Aspendale Gardens which is only around the corner from you. Try contacting him here stephenhughes at hotmail.com

Christopha
15th April 2007, 01:32 PM
Vic Wood!! If you can do a workshop with Viuc then you will get excellent value as your standard will improve radically. Stephen Hughes is a B good turner...... Vic taught him I believe.

BernieP
15th April 2007, 03:47 PM
G'Day GJ

Our club had Vic Woods do a workshop last month, learnt more in one day than I thought possible, not just what to do but what I had been doing wronlgy or dangerously. But more importantly little hints like using a piece of leather behind your sandpaper to stop it getting hot! Go for it.

Cheers
bernie

robynmau
17th April 2007, 09:40 PM
Hi there
I'm a real fan of attending any workshops available. I have been going off Saturday mornings for the last 6 years to our local turning workshop. Stray turners drop by from far and wide to look over what we're up to. There comments are always enlightening and I look forward to chatting with them about 'whatever'. Sometimes we even motivate them to go home and get onto their lathes !!!!

Being in a remote area we don't get many visiting high class presenters but we did have Vaughan Richmond 18 months or so ago and he was excellent [from WA so won't be local for you guys either] and well worth the 3 day weekend effort.

cheers