PDA

View Full Version : Problem connecting with IE and sludgepond.

AlexS
15th April 2007, 02:06 PM
Lately I've been having problems connecting with IE and sludgepond broadband. Not always - will go for several weeks with no problems, then get brobs every time for a few days, then OK again. I don't know if the problem is with the modem, my computer or sludgepond.
I've attached a copy of the diagnostic log, hoping some of you gurus can tell me where to start.

felixe
15th April 2007, 02:17 PM
Hi Alex, I recently had a problem with connecting to optusnet. It would be ok for a day or so, then drop out every 5 minutes, then after a couple of hours it would be ok, then play up again, this went on for days.

As I have a network at home, it was odd that the other computer was running fine. This eliminated optusnet, the modem, the router and common software as a problem. I finally (through trial and error) re-installed the drivers for my network card and it has been "hunky dory" ever since ( 1 week and on problems).

I can only assume that a microsoft update was to blame - I get bombarded with them constantly.

Your options may be to:

Use system restore to reboot before your last update.
Contact bigpond, they can run a diagnostic and see if it is them or your router.
Start reinstalling.

BTW Your diagnostic report is "all greek" to me, maybe pm Cliff or Gumby!

Good luck.

Grunt
15th April 2007, 02:23 PM
Have you turned your modem off for 30 seconds and on again? The log suggests that you do that.

AlexS
15th April 2007, 02:26 PM
Have you turned your modem off for 30 seconds and on again? The log suggests that you do that.
Yep. Sometimes just trying again to make the connection fixes it, sometimes I have to switch off & on again & wait 3 minutes. That usually fixes it, but occasionally have to do it a 2nd time.

ozwinner
15th April 2007, 07:01 PM
The log suggests that you do that.

You can read that stuff?

Grunt you is weird...:p

Al :U

Grunt
15th April 2007, 07:52 PM
And it took you how long to work that out?

Bruce101
22nd April 2007, 10:28 PM
I recently had an on-going problem with Broadband. I don't know what type of modem you have but on mine (Belkin supplied by Ozemail), there is a recessed button in the back that you can depress with a ballpoint etc & hold for a few seconds to reset the modem. This worked for me.

Good luck!

Gumby
22nd April 2007, 11:16 PM
Alex, i had the same issue with Bigpond and it went on for a year or so. I could get on sometimes, then at other times it wouldn't connect or would just drop out. It nearly drove me mad trying to find the problem.

In the end, when it was going off for a day or more at a time, I got the tech guy out and he found a rusty connection on the pole out the front. He replaced it and all has been fine ever since. I've been on BP cable since it started so i assume those connections just wear out after a while.

Maybe you have the same problem.

manoftalent
22nd April 2007, 11:44 PM
The diagnostics fault is this .....you have no connection because your ip address cannot be identified ...in simple terms ...your modem has failed to acquire an ip .....if your service provider gave you the modem, ring them and get them to fault test it, its on its "way out" mate

AlexS
23rd April 2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks all. It does have a small recessed reset button, so will try that. Otherwise, it's a call to sludgepond. The neighbour has a similar problem, so it may be as Gumby described. I do suspect the modem though.

RobP
25th April 2007, 05:00 PM
A number of people over at

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=73

have experienced problems with their modems/routers/switches due to bad power supply capacitors.

q9
25th April 2007, 05:30 PM
Pull the power out of the modem but also pull the phone line out of the modem - leave it out for around 30 minutes - this resets the line. Plug back in after 30 min and see how it goes.

AlexS
2nd May 2007, 04:15 PM
After trying all the suggestions I decided to ring sludgepond. Wouldn't you know it - prepared to settle down with the phone & a cuppa waiting for them to answer, went to log on and presto, on first go with no problems.

Then on Monday night, daughter & son in law arrived with a wireless modem router. (Thanks kids). No problems ever since.