PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw Height

alf t
22nd July 2003, 05:04 PM
Is there anyone out there with a Carba-tec BAS350 Bandsaw who could give me the height measurement and whether the base is re.
movable..... reason is I'm going to the perth Woodshow and planning on a purchase and need to know the height to work out whether to take the ute or the Forrester which has about 1.7m of lenght in the back

Alf

alf t
22nd July 2003, 10:04 PM
Yes, I know they come in boxes....Carbatec reckon they are 1.8m long and that is too long for the back of my car so I need to know the Toatal height and whether the base can be removed.
Alf

ps. please dont suggest I ask Carba-tec.

DavidG
22nd July 2003, 10:32 PM
Take the ute with a large trailer. Never know what else you may buy.:D

journeyman Mick
22nd July 2003, 10:45 PM
Sell Forester, keep ute, buy trailer & more tools.:D

Mick

Wayne Davy
22nd July 2003, 11:07 PM
Sell both cars, buy lots of tools and have them freighted back :D

John Saxton
23rd July 2003, 12:12 AM
Hi Alf take the ute and you carry more and freely,
If you need a hand I'll be around most 'o friday and mebbe Saturday depending on elasticity of the Visa.

Seriously the Ute sounds the better option but not as comfortable a ride on the long haul from Albany.
Looks as though the base is definately removable looking at the Carba-tec catalogue with 4 bolts mounting the upper portion to the base,no height given only a total weight of 70kg.

Cheers:)

Wood Borer
23rd July 2003, 10:21 AM
Maybe not much use to you but I brought home a SBW3501 in the back of my Forrester a few years ago.

Although there was plenty of room left, couldn't put much else in because SWMBO was with me and discouraged me from purchasing anything else.

Therefore, if you want to buy more than the bandsaw, take the ute less SWMBO.

- Wood Borer

TonyG
23rd July 2003, 10:11 PM
Alf,
I bought a BAS 350 bandsaw at the recent Carbatec sale. It was already assembled and on display. I dismantled it off the base via the four bolts. I have a Pajero, and it easily fitted with the back seat folded down. I am away from home right now so I am sorry I can not measure the o/all height of the top section.
Hope this helps.
BTW the saw works great, but I am still learning to use it.

Regards

Tony G

derekcohen
24th July 2003, 01:41 AM
Doorstop

Perhaps Alf plans to stand the box upright! Alf, think laterally - lie the box down! :p

In jest (and in Perth)

Derek

Wood Borer
24th July 2003, 10:29 AM
Geez Stoppers (Stoopers - how low can you go?),

First poor old Stinky cops it about his polls and now Forester owners.

She isn't the fastest, she won't go where the big 4WDs go but not as many speeding tickets, not as much damage in some remote place, not as expensive to service and not as expensive to purchase this equals saving of $$$$'s.

Saving money doesn't really happen so what I saved on the car I spent on good tools which made me spend more money on more tools and now the new shed to house my tools - see how much money I have saved???

I might just go to a gardening forum like Stinky and sulk also.

Maybe I might just hang in here I suppose this sort of abuse doesn't impair my vision.

- Wood Borer (not a sheila or pensioner)

TonyG
24th July 2003, 01:08 PM
Hi Alf,
The 1800 dimension that Carbatec gave you would certainly be the overall assembled height. The base is 500 or 600 high, so the longest piece for cartage is say 1200 mm.
I will be back home at the weekend and will run the tape over my BAS 350 and confirm.

Good Luck

Tony G

Hans Immens
24th July 2003, 04:22 PM
Hi Alf,

My first post. I have been lurking as a guest browser for 12 months.
I bought a BAS 350 at the Sydney WWW Show last month.
The carton is appros 120cm long by 40cm square.
Easily fitted into the back of a Falcon wagon.
The weight 70kg was a back busting problem, as I live in a house with SWMBO and 3 teenage daughters, so assembly was my problem.
It is a great saw, have sawn and resawn 100 x100 jarrah with ease.
Just make sure you spend a good two hours tuning after assembly.:p

soundman
25th July 2003, 11:58 PM
don't underestimate the girls.

Mymate dave had two boys & two girls close together.

the girls did better at manual arts and it was the girls that helped dad with those big speaker box deliveries.

gatiep
12th August 2003, 12:08 AM
Hi Alf, Have you solved your problem with the 350 yet? If not, I live quite close to Carbatec and am quite willing to run a tape over one of their 350's on the floor to give you the longest part that u have to reckon with. I take it that you want to unpack the box .........that way you can leave it and the polystyrene in Perth and take more tools back with you!
Have fun turning n turning n turning

alf t
12th August 2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks G
I found out I can take the base off to transport it.
Now that i've gone thro all that I'll probably buy a different one!!!!
Alf

gatiep
12th August 2003, 06:10 PM
you'd be so lucky to chat to a bunch of sheilas...lmao.....
Have fun.........we sorted the problem out.....Alf is going to buy a different bandsaw...who says only sheilas are allowed to have mind changes.
Cya

alf t
18th August 2003, 08:04 PM
Well I did buy a new Carbatec BS350 and was pleasantly surprised . Firstly the quality of the guides. They are machined and well mounted.
The fence and mitre guide are well fitted and solid and as a bonus the motor was 1 1/2 hp (their catalogue says 3/4+hp).
The cat price was $739 and the woodshow price was $619 so I couldn't waste the suplus so I got a Jap saw and other luxuries.
I also took in the talk by Po Shun Leong the box maker. What amazing boxes!! Look him up on the net. Some of his boxes sell for up to $37,ooo. US. Dream On!

Alf

gatiep
18th August 2003, 09:07 PM
Hi Alf,
It was great catching up with you at the woodshow. What a hectic 3 days it was, but I thoroughly enjoyed all the old friends and new ones that said hi to me. Glad to see that the 350 lives up to your expectations. Guess now you'll be making saw dust in style.
Have fun and keep turning.
Cya,
Joe
:D

alf t
18th August 2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Hans Immens
Hi Alf,

My first post. I have been lurking as a guest browser for 12 months.
I bought a BAS 350 at the Sydney WWW Show last month.
The carton is appros 120cm long by 40cm square.
Easily fitted into the back of a Falcon wagon.
The weight 70kg was a back busting problem, as I live in a house with SWMBO and 3 teenage daughters, so assembly was my problem.
It is a great saw, have sawn and resawn 100 x100 jarrah with ease.
Just make sure you spend a good two hours tuning after assembly.:p
Hi Hans,
great to note you are sawing 100X100 jarrah.....the best wood!
I will be sawing 150 to 200mm jarrah burl to make my boxes and my first impressions of the saw are good. I changed to Henry Bros carbide bands and could not believe the difference they make both in ease of sawing and smooth finish.
Cheers
Alf

journeyman Mick
18th August 2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by alf t
Hi Hans,
great to note you are sawing 100X100 jarrah.....the best wood!
I will be sawing 150 to 200mm jarrah burl to make my boxes and my first impressions of the saw are good. I changed to Henry Bros carbide bands and could not believe the difference they make both in ease of sawing and smooth finish.
Cheers
Alf

Alf, where can the brothers Henry be found, and how much is a carbide band?

Mick

alf t
18th August 2003, 11:09 PM
Hi Mick,

Henry Bros Vineyard Sydney, Ask for Mark..... He knows ALL about bands. Dont know the number but check the book.
Alf

The cost is not dear... depends on the length but I land them here at the South Pole cheaper than I can buy off the shelf locally.

A 2490mm costs 12.00 plus 4.00 postage and they dont have a click click clik.
Alf

Hans Immens
19th August 2003, 10:10 AM
Hi Alf,
The sawing of the Jarrah was great till the supplied blade went off.
Fitted a spare 3tpi blade bought at Carba Tec. I was seriously thinking of some Henry Bros. blades, you have convinced me.
What size blade did you buy for your Jarrah re-sawing?
This machine really needs a dust extractor, however after reading all about cyclones, they seem to be the way to go.
Willwait a while to see what develops in terms of a cyclone becoming available commercially.
Hans

alf t
19th August 2003, 11:29 AM
Hans ,
I use a 3/16. 6tpi carbide blade so that i can keep the curves in my boxes down to a size that fits my sander. If you are re sawing straight I would use a wider blade. Talk to Mark at Henry Bros

Alf

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
24th August 2003, 10:59 PM
You guys have me baffled, what is a " ute " ???
paul

derekcohen
24th August 2003, 11:10 PM
Paul

"Ute" is short for "Utility". Called a "pickup" in the USA, I believe. A motor vehicle with an enclosed cab and an open bay at the rear.

Anyone else with a definition?

Uteless in Perth

Derek

soundman
30th August 2003, 11:33 PM
Ute

Take one stationwagon.
Hack the roof off behind the drivers seat.
result...... UTE

gatiep
31st August 2003, 12:29 PM
Hi Paul,
Attached are pictures of Australian utes at the extremes.

gatiep
31st August 2003, 12:32 PM
Hi Paul,
The second one:

ozwinner
31st August 2003, 02:44 PM
Hi All
And here's my Yoot.
I know, it needs a wash................but look its raining...........whooo.
Cheers, Allan
:)

derekcohen
31st August 2003, 03:09 PM
Great number plate!

Derek