PDA

View Full Version : WIP Cues (Again) :-)

Purpleheart
15th April 2007, 10:17 PM
Well, I've been suffering Shed Withdrawal Syndrome (SWS), so I am back out building some cues again. Thought I might as well do a bit of a WIP thread as I go.

It won't be anywhere near as in depth as the last one, but I hope some people will enjoy it.

First group of 3 cues I am working on are called the Sister Series (SS). These will be Christmas pressies for my 3 (LOL) sisters this year. That should get me lots of points up.

The woods for the handle will be (from left to right) figured Red Gum, something I know as "Red Ebony", and Fiddleback Blackwood. These will be mixed with Birds-Eye Maple a friend from the states sent me.

No fancy splicing for these, the wood in nice enough.

Purpleheart
15th April 2007, 10:22 PM
I also got this piece of Tulip wood a while back, which was so nice I just had to do something with it.

I am thinking of mixing it with this African Blackwood, as the colours contrast so well. Once again, nothing fancy, just the wood.

Purpleheart
28th April 2007, 09:23 PM
Got in a little bit of work on the SS cues.

Ran some passes over the handle stock. Mmmm, they look good. (Pict 1)

Shafts are well under way as well (birdseye too). More for the "show" than the "dough". :) Doe !!:rolleyes: (Pict 2)

Started to bore out the butt sleeves. These will be glued on to a tennon made from Jarrah fence pickets I got from Bunnings about 3 years ago. (Is there nothing you can't do with fence pickets from Bunnings). (And yes, I'm one of the blokes that stole all the good ones !!) (Picts 3 and 4)

Purpleheart
29th April 2007, 09:32 PM
Glued the tennons into the forearms

Poppa
30th April 2007, 06:35 AM
Looks like beautiful timber. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Purpleheart
2nd May 2007, 11:56 PM
Looks like beautiful timber. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Yep, there is some really special pieces there. Also, I have been experimenting with a new finish which should come up a treat.:)

Purpleheart
2nd May 2007, 11:58 PM
Attaching forearm to handle.

Purpleheart
3rd May 2007, 12:09 AM
This joint can also be "glued and screwed", if adding weight to the forearm of the cue is desired.

Purpleheart
3rd May 2007, 10:28 PM
Just another view of the forearm-handle joint.

Purpleheart
4th May 2007, 10:06 PM
Here is how the butt sleeve is joined to the handle. Its a similar story as for the forearm.

These handles are called 3-piece handles, and really this kind of construction (or similar) forms the basis of most of the American pool cues. (Although they will typically have a wrap of some kind on the handle area).

Unlike my other thread, where the whole handle had a core made predominantly of the one piece of wood (or the one piece of wood ran all the way through the handle), these cues will produce a different "hit" or "feel" (probably only detectable by the advanced player).

Using the lathe during the clamping and glue-up process helps keep the alignment as true as possible.

Purpleheart
8th May 2007, 11:48 PM
Well, the SS cues have had the forarm and butt sleeve attached to the handles.

Now it is time to begin tapering...

Hmmmm. Love that bird.........

Purpleheart
14th May 2007, 11:40 PM
No, not making napkin rings.

Just some decorative rings for the cues.............

Harry72
15th May 2007, 03:44 PM
Looking good, many brownie points will be awarded!

Purpleheart
18th May 2007, 11:56 PM
Looking good, many brownie points will be awarded!

Brownie points...........so difficult to obtain, yet so easy to loose....:doh:

Rings have been installed..............

Purpleheart
3rd July 2007, 11:19 PM
Well, there hasn't been much to smile about out in the workshop lately. After having a couple of feet of stormwater come flowing through, there are a few empty spaces where various tools and machines once were. :(

Still, out of the blue a small package arrived today. I had forgotten all about it. I had ordered a couple of taps and drill bits back some time before the boat ran aground on the beach, and the http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/dboydownunder/Emotiocons/hitsfan1.gif what with the storm and all.

MMmmm, triple fluted parabolic solid carbide drill bits. Just the thing for drilling the holes for the joint pins. Next best thing to using a boring bar, but many times faster.

And that just happens to be the stage I am up to with these 3 cues.

Now all I need is some $$$ from the insurance company to replace the drown machines, and the WIP will be under way again.:D

Harry72
3rd July 2007, 11:38 PM
Dam that not good PH, will the insurance cover all your tools coz my insurance company blatantly refuse to insure my shed's contents any more than $1000.

Purpleheart
3rd July 2007, 11:52 PM
Dam that not good PH, will the insurance cover all your tools coz my insurance company blatantly refuse to insure my shed's contents any more than $1000.

Without saying too much, an insurance company we were once with had a similar policy. It was worded something along the lines of "Tools of Trade - up to $1000", unless specified or approved otherwise. I was always interested in the ramifications of this, as these are not tools of my trade as such, in that I do not make a living from using them. In fact, I don't make any money at all from them, as at the moment I seem to give away or swap just about everything I make.

Anyways, we changed insurance providers some years ago, and the short story is that everything is covered.

Another example was our pool table. Previously I had to provide 2 quotes for its replacement as a specialty item for it to be insured. New company - no special deal, it is an item of furniture to be replaced - new for old.

I guess the problems many are having up here after the storms are a good reminder for all to review their insurance, and read the fine print. (And make sure you are not under insured).

Cheers - Ph.

dai sensei
4th July 2007, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the flood damage, hope the lathe survived.

I know when I had my fire everything was covered, just had to get quotes to replace them - new for old policy. On the big items like my lathe and drill press (together worth $4,500 at the time) they keep the damaged items. So I offered the insurance company $300 for them which they accepted. It cost me a few hundred to fix motors/wiring and pay for a bit of paint that I applied, and after some work they were as good as new. I couldn't get the $4,500 as cash, so got Ok from insurance company to spend on other items, from which I got new SCMS, table saw and band saw :2tsup:

Purpleheart
23rd March 2008, 12:35 AM
Hi again All........I have not been back on line for ages.

First, we cleaned up after the June floods, and there was lots of work to do around the house, let alone get back into the shed again. But I did rig things up so I could finish the cues I was making for my sisters for Christmas. They turned out fairly nicely too......I might say....:p

Gotta see if I can remember how to post pictures now......Looks like I remembered how to.............:D

ss_11000
23rd March 2008, 12:47 AM
good to see you back mate:2tsup:

those cues look pretty cool:clap:

Harry72
23rd March 2008, 03:58 PM
Welcome back PH, the cue's look good.

zenwood
25th March 2008, 09:09 AM
Yes the cues look fantastic --- well photographed too.

What is a parabolic drill bit?