PDA

View Full Version : Duckflat Wooden Boats - Classic Boats and fittings auction

Boatmik
16th April 2007, 11:33 AM
Hi All,

Duck Flat Wooden Boats is trying something new to get wooden boats in front of the general public

They are holding an auction of a large number of boats both large and small.

Details are here
http://www.mgs.net.au/marine28_04/details.htm

Some of the boats have owner's reserves others have low reserves.

Two main items are the classic 5.5metre yacht Kirribilli that was built for the 1956 Olympics - it is in reasonable condition and included many original fittings including ones that are engraved with the boat's name and number. The other main item is a 31ft riverboat that is about 60% complete.

There will be a number of second hand fittings and parts. Portholes, parts of inboard engines, parts for Seagull outboards and general yacht and motorboat fittings.

Also for the week following the auction Ducks will be having a 10% sale of almost all items, marine paints/epoxy/glass/timber/boat fittings/rollers. Most plans will also be discounted 10%.

The idea is that the auction will reach many people not already involved in wooden boating and the discounts may inspire many to start a project for themselves.

All items can be shipped interstate.

MIK

Wild Dingo
16th April 2007, 01:16 PM
Bloody legend Mik!!!

Kirribilli oooooooohh even an old rag lover like me could fall ass over tit for her :2tsup: BLOODY HELL SHE IS A RAGGIRL!!! I was thinking she was a timber launch but oooooooooohhhhhhhh geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz Im in severe boatlust about now Mik you evil buggar

Okay going for a perve now :;
Cheers!

Boatmik
16th April 2007, 02:04 PM
Kirribilli

Not in too bad a nick either - ribs are in good condition, interior and exterior of boat has been painted enough to prevent bad degradation and there are only couple of split planks each side.  Has mast and boom and couple of sails.

More pics and a mini article about sixth down the page here
http://www.storerboatplans.com/wp/?p=45 (http://boats-storerdesign.blogspot.com/)

MIK

sassy1996
16th April 2007, 03:48 PM
Any idea what the little Nutshell Pram is worth?

Boatmik
16th April 2007, 05:48 PM
Howdy Sassy,

I don't think it works that way. If you want to put in an offer you can contact
[email protected]

Then if your offer is the best you win the boat - like any auction your offer would be legally binding.

Best wishes
Michael.

Wild Dingo
16th April 2007, 06:08 PM
You mean if I make him an offer he cant refuse its mine???? :o

Man... mmm wonder if he would take slave labor over cash? :U swap him some Jarrah and Sheoak for her? gawd I'll swap the flamin missus!! :no: nah just joking :;

But hell I wonder how I can get hold of her?

Daddles
16th April 2007, 06:33 PM
Hey, we could dip Ding in a tub of poxy then flog him off as an antique figure head. Might get enough to finance a barby :D

Richard

sassy1996
16th April 2007, 06:58 PM
I am well aware of how an offer works, I was just after a guide. I want to offer a fair price but obviously not too much, I do not wish to be ripped off. I know that CapeBoatWorks sell a kit for a tad under $1000. Let's say 40 hours to be build the boat, Duck Flat labour is billed at $55 per hour, so therefore the boat should be about $3000 new. You couldn't sell it for that.
The idea of an auction from a buyer's perspective is to get an item for the lowest possible price. And obviously a thing is worth what somebody pays for it.
I think I'll offer somewhere around $600.00.
Once again thanks.:2tsup: Wish me luck:!

Wild Dingo
16th April 2007, 09:04 PM
Hey, we could dip Ding in a tub of poxy then flog him off as an antique figure head. Might get enough to finance a barby

Richard

:U :U you aint eatin much nowadays are you Richard!! :U :U

sassy boat prices are a bit iffy to say the least and woodenboat prices more so... what you may consider a good price may well be WAY over what theyre hoping for and then again may be WAY under... speculate

I was thinking of offering $5 for Kirrabilli meself... lowest bid wins right? :2tsup:

And then I dont think shed be worth much more cause with a name like that the PM of the day would expect a sail :o But!! I reckon most of them could make pretty flamin good anchors or moorings so maybe shes worth more?

What yer reckon Mik? Should I email Ted and say I want her for a song or what? feel him out? maybe you bein his mate an all could chip in a good word about your great boat mad mate ion the west coast who drools over a boat just like that and would be forever gratefull if he would accept a token offering and send it over so he can lavish love and tenderness on her and heck throw in that Id expect him and you over for the laurnch!!... heck I may even make a more concentrated effort to get to the next boat show with her... just athought betwixt mates... hell Id even come get her!!... But if I have to rely on that auction Im stuffed. :(

Boatmik
17th April 2007, 12:39 PM
I am well aware of how an offer works, I was just after a guide. I want to offer a fair price but obviously not too much, I do not wish to be ripped off. I know that CapeBoatWorks sell a kit for a tad under $1000. Let's say 40 hours to be build the boat, Duck Flat labour is billed at $55 per hour, so therefore the boat should be about $3000 new. You couldn't sell it for that.

Howdy,

Some people get them built - but I don't know if this one is Duck built or being sold on behalf of a client.

Best wishes
And good luck too!

MIK

Boatmik
17th April 2007, 12:43 PM
I was thinking of offering $5 for Kirrabilli meself... lowest bid wins right? :2tsup:

SNIP

What yer reckon Mik? Should I email Ted and say I want her for a song or what? feel him out?

Well - you can always try - but none of the boats will be going for nothing at all. The purpose of course is to sell them for most of the money they are worth.

I don't think you'll get far for $5 but I did mention the offer about your missus to Ted.

I think he might plan to get her building and repairing boats in the workshop.

NOW - that would be a turn up for the books!!!!

MIK

STEPHEN MILLER
17th April 2007, 07:04 PM
Its not a closing down sale by chance action all the big stuff first then sell the rest at discounted rate to clear the decks :D

Daddles
18th April 2007, 01:13 AM
Its not a closing down sale by chance action all the big stuff first then sell the rest at discounted rate to clear the decks :D

Nah, we wouldn't be that lucky Steve. Besides, we need to keep Mik in business :rolleyes:

Richard

Boatmik
18th April 2007, 11:43 AM
Howdy guys,

I don't think they are planning to fold up - their lease here is up in a few months and they are just getting rid of excess stuff incase they have to move. It's also being tied into a sale of shop items as a general promotion thingy.

So it is all the stuff that is hard and awkward to move that's going.

Here is a part list of some other cool stuff
(some things - notably two larger inboard engines - have been sold already)

Blaxland Super Pup Engine - running

Blaxland bits - No valves at all, twin cranshafts, carbies, magnetos

Ford 10 with gearbox

2 x seagulls - one is running, one is for wrecking - separately listed

Volvo Penta Gearbox - up to around 120hp

Marine Penta inboard - runs

Yanmar Diesel (15hp?) - not running

Mercruiser 120 sterndrive - engine complete and running, sterndrive unit OK - gearbox fault

Mercruiser Turbo Diesel - good nick

BBQ - stainless steel for boat

Exotic outboard - british ANZANI - complete - good compression - not run.

Honda Generator 1KVa - almost unused(?)

Marples Constant Camber mould - for a inboard/outboard displacement launch and a dinghy and maybe some other boats (look it up on google to see how it works)

Oughtred Feather Pram - building jig only

Some small boat sails

Wooden OK Dinghy mast

7" bronze portholes from a very large vessel - 8 of 'em

MIK

STEPHEN MILLER
18th April 2007, 04:43 PM
Daddles
If you look at the MGS action add the sale is builders Lien this is when you have the right to sell someones property or hold it until a dedt is paid so who owes who money :?

Wild Dingo
18th April 2007, 04:58 PM
I want that puppy!! :2tsup:

No I want Kirribilli :2tsup:

No the pup! :roll:

No Kirribilli!! :~

No puppy :~

see already Im stuffed and the auction hasnt even started :C

Soooo how they got it set up for us interstaters Mik?

Daddles
18th April 2007, 05:31 PM

I understand that all arrangements are in place and hence there's no way you'll get a look in :D

Richard

Wild Dingo
18th April 2007, 06:18 PM
I understand that all arrangements are in place and hence there's no way you'll get a look in :D

Richard

Well SHE will be happy! :2tsup: :roll: Me? of course I will be debistated :C but as always I will get over the line drawn in the nallubore by yous east coasters :q and I guess the old CC will be joyously overjoyed that its not gonna get a workout :no:

ah well its all good :;

sassy1996
20th April 2007, 02:41 PM
More stuff cropping up all the time..................smells of a closing sale???????? Latest items have been sitting in their yard for years.

STEPHEN MILLER
20th April 2007, 05:19 PM
They have been in trouble ever since they moved out of the city to Mt Barker thats how owners changed hand recovering a dedt looks like a closing down sail the list gets longer by the day

Gumby
20th April 2007, 05:58 PM
Gee, look at that Moth. I used to sail those and was in the Victorian team, back in the mid 70's when aluminium wings became the norm. They've changed a bit since then though. :(

bitingmidge
20th April 2007, 09:43 PM
More stuff cropping up all the time..................smells of a closing sale???????? Latest items have been sitting in their yard for years.

Don't read too much into it all chaps! Having had a rather in-depth chat with Mr Duck some weeks ago (while suffering his abundant hospitality), about one or two boats he was going to auction to recover unpaid bills (as he is legally entitled to do), I suggested that he gets rid of all the stuff that's been sitting in the yard for years at the same time!

I can't pretend it was my suggestion that created this monster, more likely it was the red cordial that was being consumed at the time, but one thing led to another.... that's why there's such a mix of everything there, including stock items that haven't moved in a while, and boats being sold on consignment.

That's it as far as I'm aware, and I was actually there when the auction idea was thunk up.

Unfounded rumours of impending doom are scurrilous to say the least, and could cause damage to the business, so perhaps a read of one of the rules of the forum would be appropriate!

On the other hand, with all the junk, err valuable pieces of marine archaeology out of the way, there will be room for a few more projects as well!

Cheers.

P
:D :D :D

bitingmidge
20th April 2007, 10:00 PM
Gee, look at that Moth. I used to sail those and was in the Victorian team, back in the mid 70's when aluminium wings became the norm. They've changed a bit since then though. :(

Check out the footage of the 2007 Championships on Rohan Veale's homepage!
(http://www.rohanveal.com/)

cheers,

P (why can't the woody videos go on UTube?)
:rolleyes:

Wild Dingo
20th April 2007, 10:33 PM
Hey midgey!

HEY MIDGE!!!

MIDGE!!!

MIDGEY MAAATE!!

Didya see the Wharram??? :2tsup: HUH DIDJA?? whatcha reckon should I buys it huh mate whatcha reckon?? only $6000 with everythunk!! :U :U

But I still like the look of that pup :;

bitingmidge
20th April 2007, 10:40 PM
Get them both I reckon Ding,

That way, you can have a pup,

AND A DOG TOO!!

:D :D :D
P

Boatmik
24th April 2007, 11:03 AM
They have been in trouble ever since they moved out of the city to Mt Barker thats how owners changed hand recovering a dedt looks like a closing down sail the list gets longer by the day

Er, Stephen, this is all just silly. I don't have any idea where you got it from.

As you probably know I used to work for them but haven't worked directly for them for a decade now, but I know about every major thing that has happened to the business over the time - as I'm a good friend of both Robert and Ted and a number of the workers.

So I know both formally and informally how the business is going, what the plans are and so on.

During the 7 year period that you are saying that "they have been in trouble" they had a number of major projects and as Ducks always does they increased the basic workforce to about 10 builders for the best part of a year several times.

Now with the completion of the most recent big project the workforce has gone back down.

A business just cannot "be in trouble" for 7 years!

The nature of making a living in this wooden boat game makes it a difficult thing to acheive - sometimes it is feast and sometimes it is hard going - but Ducks have been round for 20 years now and I've seen lots of cycles as both an employee and since. The trick for any business in this area is to be flexible - as soon as you pin down to a fixed position the market changes...

... as dozens of other less flexible businesses that have come and gone over the last 20 years have found out.

As Midge says you can do a lot of damage to a business with unfounded rumours.

Michael Storer

Boatmik
24th April 2007, 12:10 PM
I want that puppy!! :2tsup:

No I want Kirribilli :2tsup:

No the pup! :roll:

No Kirribilli!! :~

No puppy :~

see already Im stuffed and the auction hasnt even started :C

Howdy Dingo,

I'm just back from the Brissie Timber and Woodworking show.

If you want to put in an offer on anything just use the email address/phone/fax from their webpage.
http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com

Daddles
24th April 2007, 12:20 PM

How about a boat orientated review of the show. I'd write one, but I wasn't there ... not that that is an impediment to factual reporting :rolleyes:

Richard

STEPHEN MILLER
24th April 2007, 08:13 PM
Mik
I hope they do keep going they fill a spot in SA as far boat building supplies that nobody else does:2tsup:

Wild Dingo
25th April 2007, 01:55 AM
Howdy Dingo,

If you want to put in an offer on anything just use the email address/phone/fax from their webpage.
http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com

:spit: :lolabove: :rofl: youve never met the missus have yer Mik? :lb: :rotfl: If I put a bid over $1000 WITHOUT actually going there and looking at it she would SLAUGHTER ME! :roflmao2: no seriously :sad1: ah well would be good to know how much they end up going for though... maybe one day soon I can make the pilgramige over and see what they have I can knic... eeerrr borro... eerr um buy of them

But cheers anyways

Juliethayes
16th July 2012, 12:58 PM
hi have been trying to get dingo to talk to us .need info on pearling luggers .jagstar