PDA

View Full Version : Spiral? Woodscrew?

zenwood
17th April 2007, 04:53 PM
Does anyone know how to draw a spiral in Sketchup? (Maybe it's more accurately called a helix.)

Or: does anyone have a generic Sketchup drawing of a wood-screw, preferably countersunk?

ozwinner
17th April 2007, 06:39 PM
Isnt there a place on Google that is full of this kind of stuff?

Al :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th April 2007, 06:49 PM
Try the SketchUp Forum (http://forum.sketchup.com) and do a search for "helix screw" :wink:

A simple method to make a screwed thread is to draw a box and rotate just the top face... there's also a helix tool available for a more... "elegant" solution.

martrix
17th April 2007, 07:22 PM
Hi Zen, here is a rendering of a 3D acme thread that I pulled out of a vice from the google warehouse.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=42433

Have a search through the design forum on SMC as someone there posted a method of doing spirals. I haven't looked into trying it yet.

Here is the file.

zenwood
18th April 2007, 12:05 AM
I did a search of the Sketchup forum before posting here: all I could find were machine screws, similar to Martrix's. What I want is an actual wood screw -- tapered to a point at the tip, and a thread-free shank near a countersunk head. Nothing like that on the 3D warehouse.

The tutorial that describe how to draw helices refer to a 'helix' tool, which I gather is a Pro feature, or they do mock-helices using repeated semi-circles, or they to the equivalent of Martrix's machine screw...again, no wood-screws.

martrix
18th April 2007, 02:54 PM
I did a search of the Sketchup forum before posting here: all I could find were machine screws, similar to Martrix's. What I want is an actual wood screw -- tapered to a point at the tip, and a thread-free shank near a countersunk head. Nothing like that on the 3D warehouse.

The tutorial that describe how to draw helices refer to a 'helix' tool, which I gather is a Pro feature, or they do mock-helices using repeated semi-circles, or they to the equivalent of Martrix's machine screw...again, no wood-screws.
Are you after something like this?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44295

What do you want a precise drawing of a wood screw for if I may ask?

zenwood
18th April 2007, 03:28 PM
Are you after something like this? ...
What do you want a precise drawing of a wood screw for if I may ask?
Yes, something like that. I want a drawing that looks like the attached, for the purpose of including them in drawings that involve screws. I want it to look like a wood screw and not a machine screw. I know: I'm being anal, I admit it! ;)

martrix
18th April 2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, something like that. I want a drawing that looks like the attached, for the purpose of including them in drawings that involve screws. I want it to look like a wood screw and not a machine screw. I know: I'm being anal, I admit it! ;)
The one I made was from a screw thread out of the warehouse and added the top and bottom. You should be able to make the tops and bottom how you want with out too much trouble.

The file is too big to upload and it wont let put it in the warehouse.:?

I can email it if you want.

zenwood
18th April 2007, 05:35 PM
I can email it if you want.
PM sent. Thanks.