PDA

View Full Version : Newish member, hello!

Andy RV
18th April 2007, 12:46 AM
Hey everyone, I've been watching these forums for quite a while know, I did sign up a while back and attempted making a post but it didn't seem to work... Just found that it did, cheers to those that replied.

Anyway, I'm Andy, i'm currently studdying my 2nd year of joinery and carpentry at college, i'll continuing in september to do my final year.

I'm flowing im my fathers foot steps as he was a joiner at one point.
Just thought i'd say hello. :)

Daddles
18th April 2007, 01:15 AM
Oh cripes, we're in trouble with this one, it sounds like he's serious :D

Welcome to the asylum mate :oo:

Richard

fred.n
18th April 2007, 07:10 AM
Welcome Andy
do you have any pics of a work in progress??

masoth
18th April 2007, 09:20 AM
G'day Andy. I realize the UK is not very big but can you tell us if you live in "town" and do you have space for a beaut shed? I'm trying to imagine some house, say on Harley Street, and a screaming bandsaw in the back yard.
By the way, WELCOME.

soth

zenwood
18th April 2007, 11:27 AM
Welcome Andy. Hope you enjoy your membership of these forums.

Of course you realise it's tradition for new members to quickly post pics of their work, sheds, tools, etc...?;)

Andy RV
18th April 2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I do have a shed but its too small and full of my mums gardening equipment!

I haven't reallt built anything impressive or exciting yet, I built some simple cupboards for a chap over christmas but thats about it, at college we mostly work with site joinery, hanging doors, fitting locks, fitting windows, random objects to practice different joints, roof trusses and flooring joists.

Here's a picture of the cupboards:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Moonlitfire/cupboard091.jpg

They're mainly made from MDF, solid ash for the top and T&G for the doors, it would of been nice to make them from something a bit more exciting, but thats what the chap wanted.

In terms of tools they're not very exciting, 2 old stanley planes that were my fathers, a few chisels, marking equipment, just the basic really.

jow104
19th April 2007, 03:42 AM
Andy, a good place to come fro a chat. I wouldn't mention anything about cricket at the moment:)

bitingmidge
19th April 2007, 10:52 AM
Good on you Andy!

I suppose you were named after Andrew Symons eh? That'd be why you'd be backing Australia about now in the World Cup?

(Sorry jow!) :D :D :D

P

zenwood
19th April 2007, 11:13 AM
Here's a picture of the cupboards:...
those cupboards look interesting. How did you fix the T&Gs together? Is there a frame inside? Are they yet to receive handles, or ... ?

2 old stanley planes that were my fathers
My grandfather had a large number of woodworking tools, but my father wasn't a woodworker and they gradually disappeared. I think you're very fortunate to have two of your father's planes.

Andy RV
21st April 2007, 03:15 AM
The T&G doors were held together with pieces of 40mmX60mm pine, each going straight across at the bottom and top then one piece starting in the bottom outside corner then working up to the top inside corner.

I left the handles to the gentleman that I built them for.

The taller of the cupboards is designed to sit on top of the smaller one, the back righthand side of the small one was cut out so that it could sit over an electricity box.

The 'box' on the far left was to sit over and cover up a water meter.

The planes are a stanley 4 smoothing plane and a 5 jack, i've cleaned them up but they could do with some new handles, I believe they are around 20 years old.

m2c1Iw
22nd April 2007, 09:14 PM
Hey Andy,
Good stuff, my first plane is a Falcon not sure of it's history Australian made I think, was my Grandfathers and is similar to a Stanley #4 I could never keep the blade sharp for more than a couple of shaves.
Whats the plan for negotiating shed space.:wink:

Cheers
Mike