PDA

View Full Version : My new lathe - but can you help identify tools?

mobrien
20th April 2007, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone!Its an exciting day, my new (second hand) woodfast lathe has arrived. But I'm not sure about some tools - please let me know if you can correct me!
Edit: I can't post photos at the moment for some reason - so I will try again later.

mobrien
20th April 2007, 05:31 PM
Trying again!

OK - here is the lathe - thats pretty self explanitory! Its an old woodfast, 1500 long. Very exciting!

mobrien
20th April 2007, 05:35 PM
Now to the tools!

1st photo - Face plates and a sanding plate
2nd photo - a hand rheem, a homemade center (pointed tip) and the two morse taper knockolut bars (I think)
3rd photo - toolrests - just a few to choose from!
4th photo - the centers - I think I have the tailstock centers to the left, and the two active centers on the far right.
5th photo - The two toolrest attchment jiggers for the bed (no idea the proper name)

mobrien
20th April 2007, 05:40 PM
Some more

1st photo - the outboard tool rest support (right) and a sanding table attachment for the same
2nd photo - A homemade outside support with two bearings
3rd photo - A bunch of bits for a single or a couple of chucks - this is where I need some help!
4th photo - three more things - something to do with the chuck(s) - tightening?
5th photo - the chisels - I don't know how to use them all, this is just a photo for you to drool at - all marples or scorby!

The real ones I'm not sure on are the chuck(s) and the three different bent tools. ANy ideas? Let me know if need to take more specific photos of that lot.

Thanks

M

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2007, 05:54 PM
5th photo - The two toolrest attchment jiggers for the bed (no idea the proper name)

Banjos.

3rd photo - A bunch of bits for a single or a couple of chucks - this is where I need some help!

Yep. They're the jaws. Not a chuck-type I'm overly fond of (I prefer the Vicmarc/Teknatool style where the jaws are fastened with hex-screws) but 'tis more than adequate for holding wood. :)

4th photo - three more things - something to do with the chuck(s) - tightening?

Again, yes. On the body and scroll section of the chuck, you'll find 3 or 4 holes that the end of the tool will hook into, and "wrap around" the body like a wrench. Hook one tool in and then another in "opposite fashion" so you can squeeze the handles together to tighten/loosen the chuck. Which happens depends on which way they're hooked up, of course. :wink:

You may find that one (or maybe both) of the "knock-out bars" you pictured with the reamer will also fit the holes and can be used instead. Some chucks are designed to use one breaker bar and one crescent, others use two crescents (or two breakers.) You'll have to experiment to find out which way is best for what you've got.

Good score, BTW! I'm a tad envious of the range of bits... :wink:

joe greiner
20th April 2007, 09:49 PM
2nd photo - A homemade outside support with two bearings

This is called a "steady rest." Some slightly more complex have three wheels.

[Nice collection of goodies.]

Joe

Frank&Earnest
20th April 2007, 11:44 PM
Exactly the lathes and accessories (except the treasure trove of chisels!) they have at the Marleston TAFE where I have just finished a 9 weeks refresher course, maybe yours comes from a similar source. Ancient but good and solid, congratulations!

I share Skew's lack of enthusiasm for the chuck, though: "adequate" might be depending on how long it has been hacked by generations of students, the new hex-screws fastened ones I had also access to were much better (or at least more recent, therefore less hacked...)

The toolrests also often bear the scars of years of abuse and, as somebody else said before somewhere in this forum, could use a straightening up with a file/sander.

Happy turning! I know how you feel, I should finally get all the bits and pieces next Monday, after many delays... "exciting" is an understatement.

rodent
21st April 2007, 12:04 AM
the chuck is one of the old woodfast scroll chucks (yes skew i have one of them to ) ill see if i can dig up the instructions for you .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st April 2007, 01:03 AM
I know. And when was the last time you used it? :innocent: There've been a few times I've been offered 'em at good prices (Les had one with the right thread for my old gal, too) but some bargains I can pass up! :p

Aren't the instructions still in the box? They were when you had it down at the factory...

RETIRED
21st April 2007, 09:13 AM
The "bent" tools are called "C" spanners.

mobrien
22nd April 2007, 05:13 PM
yay - the forums are back!

OK – I think I have it worked out now! Please correct me if I have any of this wrong!
Firstly the small chuck – this seems to be compression only, with two jaws to hold two different tenon sizes.
Photo 1 – the small chuck in pieces. Two jaws, the only difference is the size of the hole in the middle. The C-spanners are sitting in place
Photo 2 – the small chuck together, with the C-spanners being used to tighten it.
Photo 3 – the second jaws for the small chuck – everything is out of alignment, will have to play with this to get the jaws even.

mobrien
22nd April 2007, 05:14 PM
Secondly, the larger chuck. This seems to have a lot more options, and I am fairly confused by it. Lets see how I’ve gone!
Photo 1 – All the parts
Photo 2 – The jaws that are four parts – side view.
Photo 3 – the same four section jaws tightened up with the C spanners
Photo 4 – the same four jaws from the top.
I think these are the expanding jaws, designed to go into a hole on the bottom of a bowl etc. I don’t really like the way the jaws seem to move around so they aren’t even (compared to a Nova or the like) but it looks like it would hold with the right size hole. And it will have to do until I can afford a nova or win the free prize draw coming up ;)

mobrien
22nd April 2007, 05:15 PM
The large jaw also has a pair of half rings
Photo 1 – the rings side view
Photo 2 – how the rings seems to fit into the top of the chuck
Photo 3 – how the rings look when the chuck is tightened up.
I’m not sure what this is for or how it would even be used. My only thought is that the small jaws from the smaller chuck might fit in place of the solid metal centre piece, so these could just be an adapter for using the smaller jaws. Will have a play later.

mobrien
22nd April 2007, 05:16 PM
This is the part that really threw me, as its how the large chuck came assembled. It actually seems to be a home made press for the chuck, so the lathe can be used as a press.
Photo 1 – the press placed into the chuck
Photo 2 – the whole thing assembled.
I figure this is probably for putting pens together or that kind of thing. But the flat face has me confused. Ideas?

mobrien
22nd April 2007, 05:18 PM
And now to the chisels – identification time!
Photo 1 – I think these are both specialty bowl chisels?
Photo 2 – A range of different gouges (again, I think) All have the half moon curved profile, some are a lot more aggressive on the sharpening angle than others, and some are quite angular in their profile, almost going to a V rather than the half moon
Photo 3 – I think from left to right, parting tool, thin scraper, V beading tool, thin scraper
Photo 4 – the skews, left to right, badass to not so badass.

mobrien
22nd April 2007, 05:20 PM
I went to the woodworking show today, and picked up a few bits and pieces - I nearly nearly nearly came home with a Nova 2 chuck - I hovered around Jim Carrols stand for so long he probably thought I was stalking him!

The thing that stopped me - the outboard turning has to be reverse thread, so I will in the end need two chucks, one for the spindle side, one for outboard - well, thats what I assume anyway. So I figured in the mean time I will use the current chucks and keep SWMBO happy too :D

rsser
22nd April 2007, 05:55 PM
Photo 1 looks to have the Sorby depth gauge attached, so its prob a parting tool. Undo the gauge screws and remove it, should be good for, well, parting (above the) ways. (boom tish).

Edit: no, Craft Supplies gauge - US mob methinks.

The other one in pic 1: ring tool? or a mount for a cup cutter.

Pic 2: yeah, all spingle gouges (all forged?), some sorry looking grinds

DJ’s Timber
22nd April 2007, 06:07 PM
This is the part that really threw me, as its how the large chuck came assembled. It actually seems to be a home made press for the chuck, so the lathe can be used as a press.
Photo 1 – the press placed into the chuck
Photo 2 – the whole thing assembled.
I figure this is probably for putting pens together or that kind of thing. But the flat face has me confused. Ideas?

This looks to be a home made Chuck, the idea is to have a hole the same size as the rod in you timber and with a small pin sitting on the flat insert it into the timber and rotate so the small pin locks it onto the rod.

And now to the chisels – identification time!
Photo 1 – I think these are both specialty bowl chisels?

The first one is a sizing tool for spindle work. The idea is to use it the same as a prting tool and the collar is adjustable so that you can make multiple sizings on a spindle. When the collar slips past the spindle, it is turned to the correct size.

The second one is some form of hollowing tool. Looks to be an aggresive one :o

Penpal
22nd April 2007, 06:42 PM
The piece is a pin chuck,on the flat goes a round pin,the timber with the hole bored same size as full shaft with round pin the size to complete the circle that is.As the twist is applied it locks on the shaft by the rolling pin.
Handy. Peter:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd April 2007, 10:47 PM
The thing that stopped me - the outboard turning has to be reverse thread, so I will in the end need two chucks, one for the spindle side, one for outboard - well, thats what I assume anyway. So I figured in the mean time I will use the current chucks and keep SWMBO happy too :D

Nar... the Novas use thread inserts to match asstd. threads, so you could get away with using a LH and a RH insert for just the one chuck. You might have to get the LH one custom-made, though.

Still, two chucks would save mucking around... :wink:

mobrien
22nd April 2007, 11:01 PM
Nar... the Novas use thread inserts to match asstd. threads, so you could get away with using a LH and a RH insert for just the one chuck. You might have to get the LH one custom-made, though.

Still, two chucks would save mucking around... :wink:

I actually wondered about this - but thought the thread inserts would have to be fixed somehow, otherwise wouldn't the chuck just undo it self at the thread adapter join as soon as the going got tough?

M

DJ’s Timber
22nd April 2007, 11:08 PM
I actually wondered about this - but thought the thread inserts would have to be fixed somehow, otherwise wouldn't the chuck just undo it self at the thread adapter join as soon as the going got tough?

M

You can put a locking grub screw in the insert to lock it to the chuck

mobrien
23rd April 2007, 10:47 AM
Ahh - excellent - thanks for all the corrections and informations. Looks like I only really *need* one Nova. For now :DAnother quick question - I'm going to remove all the surface rust on the bed, toolrests etc - what should I then treat this bare metal with? Theres gotta be something for this!M

rsser
23rd April 2007, 12:08 PM
M, for the bed you only need light machine oil or WD40.

For the rest, there are preparations like Inox or lanolin based formulations. For the bare surface of the toolrest paste wax is fine.

Best of luck

mobrien
23rd April 2007, 05:18 PM
M, for the bed you only need light machine oil or WD40.

For the rest, there are preparations like Inox or lanolin based formulations. For the bare surface of the toolrest paste wax is fine.

Best of luck

Excellent - thanks a lot! Off to somewhere to get some lanolin and paste wax!M

DJ’s Timber
23rd April 2007, 05:36 PM
You can also use the Traditional Wax from our sponsor to put over the bed of the lathe and any bare metal. It will help to keep things nice and slick when you move the banjo

mobrien
23rd April 2007, 06:27 PM
You can also use the Traditional Wax from our sponsor to put over the bed of the lathe and any bare metal. It will help to keep things nice and slick when you move the banjo

If only i had of known - I dropped in on Neil at the woodworking show, but only picked up EEE an glow finish!

Frank&Earnest
24th April 2007, 12:18 PM
You can put a locking grub screw in the insert to lock it to the chuck

Would you trust it, though? I just bought the Nova2 and the grub screw you mention, minuscule, just sits on top of the thread with a fibre washer underneath, does not lock in some sort of recess. No problem for me because I opted for the swivel head (Jet 1440) but I would not feel at all confident using it in a reversed position for large work. On the other hand, maybe I am just overcautious, and can not claim any experience in the matter...

Hickory
24th April 2007, 01:05 PM
Before you get all screwed up with Nomenclature, and get al fuddled up whe those Limy English terms... the Tool Rest Holder is Not a Banjo, A Banjo is a Musical Instrument Similar to a guitar but with an Animal Gut head like a drum head as a sounding box.

Okay I'm a clod for correcting the spoken language but It burns my ???? to keep hearing folks call things by some Stupid name when they have a correct term. Pet Peeve of mine, I guess.

You were much better calling them "toolrest attchment jiggers " than Banjos...

Sorry to correct you Skew but It just yanks my yankee chain when I hear that term.

tashammer
24th April 2007, 01:39 PM
Hickory,

The use of the term "banjo" is because the shape is reminiscent of the shape of the musical instrument, a visual form of onomatopoeia and which quite a common variant in the use of English.

Note, also, that in your use of "Limy English" you have misspelled Limey and the use of "Limey" and "English" in the same sentence is tautological given that a "Limey" is necessarily an English person.

The word "Yankee" is a proper noun in the context in which you have used it, thus requiring an upper case first letter.

Most of what you express is opinion rather than yer actual factual grammatical, syntactical, or usage of Australian English language and is reflective of the rich Australian version of "English as she is spoke".

You are cordially invited to seek out and read a book by the title of, "Let's Talk Strine" by Afferbeck Lauder, which explains many of the differences in humorous settings.

http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt

The above URL will give you a clue.

Regards

Anon aka Tom :D:D:D:D:q

rsser
24th April 2007, 01:52 PM
Zaccly.

Banjo is what we call it out here. Also perhaps because on a good day it thrums while you turn. (Oops, a sentence without a verb, tsk.)

On the grub screw issue, I note that on my old Vicmarc 175 a collar was supplied to hold the hand wheel tight that could also be fitted to span the chuck/spindle.

Edit: PS, on my virtual peregrinations I recall seeing somewhere an insert or a face plate that had both LH and RH threads cut. Don't think I'd be comfortable using one though.

RETIRED
24th April 2007, 04:01 PM
Before you get all screwed up with Nomenclature, and get al fuddled up whe those Limy English terms... the Tool Rest Holder is Not a Banjo, A Banjo is a Musical Instrument Similar to a guitar but with an Animal Gut head like a drum head as a sounding box.

Okay I'm a clod for correcting the spoken language but It burns my ???? to keep hearing folks call things by some Stupid name when they have a correct term. Pet Peeve of mine, I guess.

Sorry to correct you Skew but It just yanks my yankee chain when I hear that term.The rest of the world must be wrong including your compatriots?:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe_(tool)

http://www.oneway.on.ca/lathes/1640lathe.htm

http://www.allinonewood.com/oneway_chucks/lathes.html

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/New_DVSL_Lathe.html

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsmanwood/page6.html

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th April 2007, 05:20 PM
Sorry to correct you Skew but It just yanks my yankee chain when I hear that term.

When in Rome... and Brisbane is an Aussie city, not the 50-somethingth state of the US of A.

Sorry to hear that it annoys ya, but now you have some idea of how us Aussies (who are, after all, English speaking) feel about seeing our language being corrupted by Americanisms and Yankee spelling. :p Hollywood has a lot to answer for. :((

(And it's really not a good idea to stir the descendants of convicts and exiles. :wink:)

mobrien
24th April 2007, 08:02 PM
whooa - didn't expect to start an English laguage debate... but did enjoy reading it!

So I was just doing the post woodworking trawl on the internet, and found that carbatec had the Nova 2 scroll chucks (and thats what they call them on the Teknatool website, so I hope I can't be corrected!) on special until today, for $198.

I rang them to check availability, and found they did have them is stock - but I had to get before 5 today when the price went back to normal. This was at 4:30, and work didn't finish till 5:30.

I don't know how it happened, but a brand new super nova 2, with both a 1" x 10 RH and 1" x 10 LH insert is now in the post. Should be waiting for me at work on Thursday.

Oops.

M

rsser
24th April 2007, 08:32 PM
Well done! It's a nice piece of kit.

scooter
24th April 2007, 09:03 PM
Edit: PS, on my virtual peregrinations I recall seeing somewhere an insert or a face plate that had both LH and RH threads cut. Don't think I'd be comfortable using one though.

I think Nova do an insert for the SN2 that has both threads cut. Struck me as a good idea.

coastie
24th April 2007, 11:02 PM
Doncha hate retired f...ing school teachers, Kiama where I used to live is full of the le...y
bludgers,didn't like them when I went to school,like them even less now!!:yuk:

Hickory
24th April 2007, 11:19 PM
Thought I might be stirring up some sludge in the ole pot. :2tsup: Suspect it goes back to the age before Civil Rights Unions and folks afraid of offending and those that preach "The right to know supercedes your right to exist..." :o

I was subject to a hard hand from my mentor and WWing department head, whilst in school, to learn the correct nomenclature of tool, machinery, and other equipment... of which I am so glad & proud :U Perhaps, Tashammer, if my English teacher and typing instructer had been as dillagent I'd be able to correctly spell and type my mosy humble inner thoughts. :doh:

All intended to spur some thought to the process and without ill feeling toward the offended. , those links are UK and CA sites and as for Wikipedia, I have issues with their renditions as well (they are a new kid on the block). I'm here in the Heartland of the US of A and they are not my compatriots.

As far as roots go, we are all decendants from persons exiled from someplace for some thing or another.

Banjo or not, tis the same as saying "That do-hicky" or as the unlearned kids of today, "That One thing" ... With Text messaging, no telling how far the English Language and tool Nomenclature will slide. Maybe that is one reason English is being used more in other societies, You can make it up as you go....

Coastie, I don't think I would want to go back to school today, either. Instead of rules for student behavior they are over burdened with rules for teacher behavior. As for old retired teacher, a group of 10 of us reciently bought an old houseboat, sitting on a prime lake. When a couple of us went there for the weekend we met alarge number of the other "boat rats" checking out their moorings for the spring. They told us most of the owners were retired old teachers... what a diabolical situation this is going to work out to become...

You guys are getting ready to settle down for a long winter's nap whilst we are preparing for global warming and lawn mowing. Lake water is up to the 60s, trees are greening again, and pollen is attaking the sinuses, all is well and right in my little part of the world,

Seizure!!!

powderpost
24th April 2007, 11:36 PM
Missed this post earlier. The larger chuck seems to be one of the old Sorby 6 in 1 chucks with the pin chuck missing. They needed a light touch and sharp tools. The smaller is one looks like collet chuck, again one of Sorbeys. They were supplied with three sets of collets. Woodfast did produce a small face plate (85mm diameter) with both right and left hand threads.
Jim

Woodlee
25th April 2007, 12:28 AM

Another tool that is also known as a "banjo" over here is a shovel .
Hope that don't upset youse too much more.

Hickory
25th April 2007, 02:03 AM
Another tool that is also known as a "banjo" over here is a shovel .
Hope that don't upset youse too much more.

No, I have used a shovel before, and as a matter of fact I used one yesterday and this morning my back reminded me of how much I don't like them....:C so you can call them whatever and it won't be as bad as what I called mine. :~

oldsoke
25th April 2007, 07:36 AM
just luvved the er strine lexicon...:U

Hasn't anyone thought of doing one for the other old colony... ? :doh:

mobrien
25th April 2007, 12:29 PM
Woodfast did produce a small face plate (85mm diameter) with both right and left hand threads.
Jim

I went down and checked all the faceplates this morning, and sure enough the 85mm face plate has both a left and right thread cut into it!

So off the the teknatool website - maybe I should be getting a dual thread insert - it would make life easier, although I worry about the strength of the thread when it comes to larger works.

Anyway - it matters not - there is only one dual threaded insert, the insert T - 1" x 8 TPI Dual threaded insert.

I wonder if they don't do the 10, as there isn't enough "meat" left on the thread at this pitch, especially if larger things are being turned (hence only the 85mm faceplate having dual thread)?

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/adaptor_page.htm

Anyway, I'll just have to win the scroll chuck on Monday in the free draws - that way I can have the smaller chuck on spindle side, larger chuck outboard - and I can swap them around with the inserts when I need to :D

:2tsup:

M

rsser
25th April 2007, 12:44 PM
.... you won't need to win another chuck M. Chucks and jaws is a bit like handplanes when the bug bites.

mobrien
25th April 2007, 12:50 PM
.... you won't need to win another chuck M. Chucks and jaws is a bit like handplanes when the bug bites.

uh oh - have you seen how many hand planes (and half built wooden hand planes) I have....

Don't let my wife know!

Matt

Frank&Earnest
25th April 2007, 02:00 PM
Well, this thread has become an interesting chat about life as a woodworker, whatever the relevance for the OP...:D

I can't miss the opportunity for a bit of banter with Hickory, with whom I share age and a little streak of pedantry...:D

You will find, H, that all languages, not only English, evolve. As far as this "banjo" is concerned, you might wish to check up metonymy and metalepsis, the concepts Tashammer was alluding to with the picturesque oximoron "visual onomatopoeia". (BTW, T, Limey English is not a tautology, same as Australian English). If that makes you feel old and obsolete, such is life... better than dying young, isn't it?:wink:

If you enjoy linguistic crusades, you are welcome to take up the fight against the use of "intarsia" to indicate the woodworking technique apparently invented in the US in the 80's, without qualifications like "modern American intarsia"... I have already copped enough flak for that!:U
("flak" in this sentence is another example of the same process at work.:wink:)

Cheers
Frank

rsser
25th April 2007, 02:51 PM
uh oh - have you seen how many hand planes (and half built wooden hand planes) I have....

Don't let my wife know!

Matt

Mine looked on with a mix of bemusement and incredulity when I got home on Monday with a No. 6 in good nick for the princely sum of 50 bucks :yipee:

It didn't get better when the float glass for lapping cost the same again :-

As for language, Frank you've sent me off to the big book of (big) words!

Yes indeed language changes. I like to tell my students that 'gay' means something different these days.

Frank&Earnest
25th April 2007, 03:27 PM
I like to tell my students that 'gay' means something different these days.

Wicked!:U

joe greiner
25th April 2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah, Hickory, ya gotta accept that English is a Work in Progress. And as far as multiple meanings are concerned, without 'em we wouldn't have metaphors, double-entendre jokes, and challenging crossword puzzles. In fact, I'd wager that since English has pretty much become the worldwide lingua franca, it's ambiguity has encouraged lateral thinking and accompanying technical progress.

It took me about 63 years to embrace this notion, so you've got a year or two to go.

Joe

Frank&Earnest
25th April 2007, 11:19 PM
I'll take the wager. My bet is that the technical progress in the English speaking world is due to the fact that the US have enough $$$$ to pay 70% of the world's scientists... bugger the ambiguity! :D

rodent
28th April 2007, 08:03 PM
woodfast lets see2CHUCK.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44879&stc=1&d=1177750677) <table class="fieldset" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td>http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif 2CHUCK.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44879&stc=1&d=1177750677) (72.8 KB)</td> <td align="right"><input class="button" value="Remove" name="delete[44879]" style=" 7" type="submit"></td> </tr><tr> <td>http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif 3CHUCK.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44880&stc=1&d=1177750767) (71.5 KB)</td> <td align="right"><input class="button" value="Remove" name="delete[44880]" style=" 7" type="submit"></td> </tr><tr> <td>http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif 4CHUCK.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44881&stc=1&d=1177750767) (88.9 KB)</td> <td align="right"><input class="button" value="Remove" name="delete[44881]" style=" 7" type="submit"></td> </tr><tr> <td>http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif 1CHUCK.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44882&stc=1&d=1177750889) (1</td></tr></tbody></table>http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif