PDA

View Full Version : goblet

nine fingers
20th April 2007, 04:19 PM
The last two Monday evenings I have had members of 2 wood working clubs
in Geelong for general information on making wooden geared clocks,and how I cut the wheels (gears). 19 the first night 25 the second.
At the moment I'm fed up with clocks.
Our next woodies project is a goblet. my only other attempt at a goblet was about 10 years ago.
This goblet I turned out of flowering cherry ,which was cut down from our garden about 3 years ago. It's 165 mm tall x 65 dia with sides of bowl about 1.5 to 2 mm thick.
Buffed up with U Beauts EEE.
hope you like it Nine Fingers.:2tsup:

ss_11000
20th April 2007, 05:33 PM
nice work mate:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2007, 05:40 PM
Nice contrast between the stem, foot and bowl. Was that a glue-up or were you "lucky" and had nice contrasting heartwood?

Have you seasoned it with Port yet? :wink:

nine fingers
20th April 2007, 06:06 PM
Skew, No glue ups. The limb was about 90 mm diam, the head and tail stock were centered on the heart wood. The timber got very pale on the stem of the goblet.
regards Nine Fingers:)

joe greiner
20th April 2007, 09:55 PM
Very nice work, Nine. Even more so considering 10 years away. Never forget how to ride a bicycle, eh?

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2007, 10:57 PM
The limb was about 90 mm diam, the head and tail stock were centered on the heart wood. The timber got very pale on the stem of the goblet.

Good stuff. It's always nice when a piece of wood co-operates, isn't it? :D

rodent
21st April 2007, 01:23 AM
good drinking size that (quaf) but really nice and as skew said good when it all comes together .

Gil Jones
21st April 2007, 02:47 AM
Yep, I like it!!!
Nicely formed and fine looking wood.

rsser
22nd April 2007, 05:51 PM
Amazing you dried it without getting cracks.

I cut down a plum and had segments sitting drying for about 5 years. Only around 10cm thick. All but one cracked and I chucked that last week and roughed it out and it had fr*ggin well checked inside. *##^@ !!

nine fingers
22nd April 2007, 06:43 PM
Rsser. Most of limbs ,logs etc I paint the ends with any left over or old
polyeurthene,PVA. Bond Crete and so on. What timber that is left in the open air under cover sometimes cracks,depending on the species.
What I store in a area under the house ,no air flow and a steady tempreature hardly ever cracks.
The way the shavings came of near the stem there would still be some moisture in the centre.
regards Nine Fingers:)

rsser
22nd April 2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks NF.

The temp might have been my problem. I'd done hot wax sealing of the ends.