PDA

View Full Version : What prezzies www Brisbane

Simomatra
20th April 2007, 08:15 PM
Day one of the show people and forum members was fairly quiet but the bargains were there

Purchased a great lot of timber Boutique and others topped up from Pauline and Neil, New jig B10 from Roger Gifkin and some pen kits and S&P kits from Jim & Irene

Wear your cap, or buy one at the Ubeaut stand it entitles you to discounts in lots of places. Also look for Zed there

Looking for the bandsaw tomorrow. See you all there

ozwinner
20th April 2007, 08:17 PM
So.....wheres the piccies?

Al :U

bitingmidge
20th April 2007, 10:50 PM
Oh alright then, piccies.

Firstly sorry to all I missed, (which was pretty much everyone 'xept that well known wood turner JackE :D ) it's just that I got a bit held up at work, then on the highway so it was almost lights out time before I got there. Thank goodness I've got to be there Sunday arv to pick up the boats!

First pics first.

Does anyone remember the shots taken in the carpark last year of what looked to be a Commodore which had suffered a terrible accident with a UFO?

I tried to find the post but couldn't, anyway, here's how it turned out. I spoke with it's owner/creator David Guscott last night, who assured me that it wasn't the result of a nightmare. :no:

It's actually a clip-on (no body modifications) so they think it's sort of legal, and holds all their show stand gear, lights, ladders etc as well as working as a wind deflector while towing their van. The whole structure is an engineer's wet dream, with tiny fabricated timber trusses doing the main work. They reckon it works a trick, and who am I to argue?

Also pics of the beaut electric violin family instruments they produce in modern composites, which is no doubt where the clevers came from for the car!

More coming!

P
:D

bitingmidge
20th April 2007, 11:10 PM
So I got there late!

Sooo late that the crowd around the Ubeaut stand was only one deep! I'd never seen so few people at a show before (being a morning person myself!:wink: ) so thought I'd take a shot of Forum's Brisbane HQ. Note the Dremel stand in the background? It got the better of me, and I now have a Dremel 100 Digital complete with router base and a few other gadgets.

I also snuck a pic of the Boss (actually the bosses husband) in his best customer service mode, just so you all know he was really there.

A couple of shots of the PDR's on the Woodenboat stand too!

I'll do the rounds on Sunday and see how many forum members I can catch!

Oh, and I also bought a couple of fretsaw blades from Jim Carroll - another lovely bloke! :2tsup:

So I haven't actually seen anything yet, what with taking pics for the AAMIM guys and making sure Boatmik was hard at work on the PDR's!

Roll on Sunday I say!

Cheers,

P
:D :D

Simomatra
21st April 2007, 09:28 AM
Will post some pic's tomorrow after another day at the show. I had to leave by 2 so only caught up with soundman and Wendy Should be lots more today as it is the weekend

Cliff Rogers
21st April 2007, 09:37 AM
Neil is going to love that pic.... not. :D

RufflyRustic
21st April 2007, 09:44 AM
I had the BEST day yesterday!!

I took Adrian and Deanna with me, fellow woodworker friends not on the forum. First stop, check in with the Bosses and stock up on my year's finishing needs. Second stop, the wood stands. Well, Adrian and I had an absolute ball trying to outdo each other on finding all the wonderful pieces of timber :D You thought I was funny buying timber.. well, I met my match yesterday - Adrian and I both came home with, :doh: a piece of flamin' camphor laurel!! :B lucky we found a second piece so we didn't end up playing scissors paper rock to see who got the first piece.....

Anyway, I caught up with Phil - Green152, Brian - Wizened of Oz, Mid-D, Simonatra & Pat, Jim Carroll & Irene :2tsup: , Soundman, Chris Vesper, Michael from Mik International, Ken - FloobyDuster and I'm sure there were others that I've missed :( .

I have a nice goodies pile, gonna be fun sorting through it.:)

Oh - I also have a WoodShow Warning for you all - Picture 3 - Make sure you take your own sturdy bag!!!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers
Wendy

felixe
22nd April 2007, 02:35 PM
I went yesterday, called in @ the u-beaut stand, Neil was away but I had a chat with Pauline.

I picked up a copy of Neils' finishing book and a panel saw from Peacock saws.

I didn't see any other forum members there, no hats to be seen and I guess I don't know any faces.

My recommendation is to visit the wooden boats - amazing! and there are some beautiful timber slabs outside - but all sold:(

Overall a great day!!

mic-d
22nd April 2007, 03:55 PM
I only bumped into Wendy on Friday, but I did have fun wandering the stalls and buying things. I came away with a packet of beautiful myrtle burl veneers from Rivergum timbers, a couple of hefty blocks of Huon for carving, a good size plank of figured myrtle (both the myrtle are for an upcoming tool cabinet). Also picked up some McDrills and McHSS steel (for a scraper burnisher) from McJings. This show felt a bit smaler than a couple of years ago, but it just may be because Friday is a quieter day.

Cheers
Michael

Wood Butcher
22nd April 2007, 05:20 PM
Swmbo and I went on saturday and had a great time. Was great to see some old faces and meet a few new ones. Had a great chat to ubeaut while he was up this way and Midge, swmbo noticed the dremel stand and also took on of the 400 dremel kits home to try some power carving type stuff. Swmbo also agreed that we are going to buy a Jet mini lathe for christmas. Seems she would love to have a go at doing some small turning:2tsup::2tsup: Who would I be to argue with that :cool:

Also got to have a chat with Boatmik and see the PD's in person. My complements to the builders, they are fine craft. The best part is the Swmbo reckons that they are a great idea and thinks it would be great for the kids. I presume that this is a defacto permission to build one. :D

I thought it was a great show. Alot more timber than 2 years ago and overall the show seemed to be more enjoyable. Already looking forward to next year!

dai sensei
22nd April 2007, 05:25 PM
Ran into quite a few people yesterday wish I could have been the Friday & today as well. Simatra has photos of morning session, but there were more of us at afternoon session (not sure of photos though).

Wendy, looks like you also got a good load. They were still talking about a "crazy for wood women" on Saturday that bought slabs of campher laurel, I assumed it must have been you :D. Sorry to miss you Midge, Soudman and myself were there almost till closing, but still shopping :B

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones as my mother gives me cash for my birthday :2tsup: around the wood show (although I had to request it early this year because the show is a month early :? ). My booty :U :

Woodcut Bowlsaver (been wanting one of these for a while now)
Vac-Clamp (for holding timber on the bench without clamps)
2 pyrography pens
3 piece hinge drill bit set (thanks Soundman)
Danish Oil (with free Wood Wipe)
Swansdown Mop (my 3<SUP>rd</SUP>), 5 pks of sanding pads (400 to 1500 grit) & White Sellac (thanks Neil)
2000 & 4000 grit sanding discs for the ROS/A few letter openers & salad server utensils (kits for turning)

and a little bit :rolleyes: of my favourite timbers for turning:
Hairy Oak log ~250 dia x 1000 long
Red Mallee Burl (2 no 300 lengths of 75x75, 300 dia x 75 bowl blank and 1 ~300 dia x 75 burl cap)
Huon Pine (2 no 500 lengths of 100x100)
Tiger Myrtle (2 no 400 lengths of 75x75 and 250 sq x 75 bowl blank)
2 Packets of 5 pen blanks, Pudauk & Cocobolo (I couldn’t find anyone selling planks/logs :( )

Simomatra
22nd April 2007, 06:12 PM
Heres the Pic from the morning session; afternoon session all blury

Sorry about the quality still trying to work with this resizing bit

Present Soundman Da Sensi and Simomatra enjoying the famous chocolate chip muffins

keith53
22nd April 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, due to a whole set of unfortunabe circumstances, I wasn't able to go at all. Bugger. But I'll have a twice as big list next year.

Just by the by, for some years now, I've been saying to SWMBO that she should take up a hobby. After knocking back everything I've suggested, she's been bitten by the jewelry bug in a big way. Finally, I'm in a position to throw back to her the oft-spoken words, 'Isn't it about time you stopped buying stuff & started making things'. Oh bliss!!!

Cheers,
Keith

Neal
22nd April 2007, 07:18 PM
Spent today there seemed pretty quite talked with Neil for awhile ,did not see any other cap wearers tho.
Came home with Jet 1220 lathe,pen kits etc,carba tech cheapy turning tool set & nova chuck.
Now just got to pluck up the courage to put it to use , Richard Raffan made it look to easy in his demos today ,been searching old posts for info now have overload ,so dont expect any picys to soon.:)

soundman
22nd April 2007, 10:18 PM
Ah well. I went all three days again this year.
caught up with all sorts of people... and missed even more.
The thing wend didn't mention was that she baught sooooo much stuff she need help to carry it to the car.
the slab of camphor was employed as a palett and the remaining goodies straped to it with masking tape by the boys at parcel pick up.
Simo' ended up buying the last 18" band saw on gpw's floor and got delivery for $25 waht a bargin.
I ended up buying a couple of boxes of hole saws, one normal lot with sds arbours out of the promac bargin bin and a set of the new non clogging starett ones from peacocks.
I vistited jim carroll twice I got some nice tulip wood pen blanks (and others) and a few bits.
the mallee shed had some yourk gum burls so I snapped some up, along with some stonking big bits of sheaok.
got some hairy from stan and some red mallee from brad and a few other bits.

There was a lot more timber there this year and some keen prices too...quite a few vendors prepared to wheel & deal too.

Either I wasn't interested or there didn't seem to be the machinery bargins of past years.

Of course I had to stock up on the UBEAUT products.

Photogloss.... from up gympie way were there for the first time. It wasn't till I checked their catalogue when I got home I realised how good some of their deals were.
$4 popuri lids ( their normal price) $2.50 each..:oo:

Aparantly chris vesper is keen on the dancing scene in brisbane, he went off to jills jive thursday night and he took little perswading to be off to orchards on the friday night, Chris in turn perswaded graham from carbatec to come along, myself and kidney girl are regulars there.
chris proceded to sweet talk every eligable blond in the place, however he did retain his voice this year.
neil & paulien would have come dancing but pauleen has a foot problem, pauleen was disapointed, neil was inconsolable.

on my way to the show to day I was driving the van of delights thru the valley and the head broke off the clutch cable,:~ no clutch:~ so it was timimg lights and rev matching to change gears all the way to the show and home again.
How did I start it if I had to stop?.... bump it out of gear, ignition off, put it in #1 and crank in gear till the engine started.
fortunately the van starts easily and its geared like a tractor.
Now the RNA staff were realy helpfull, they set me up with a straight down hill start:D

anyway new clutch cable tomorrow:~

no major purchases this year.

the product of the show I recon is the new bigger jet mini lathe, now has 12" swing, 20" between centres and indexing as standard.

I recon in future we should have a couple of agreed meeting times and places so we can all catch up without a lot of fiddle.
11am and 3pm near the coffee seems to be a good time & place.
cheers

MajorPanic
22nd April 2007, 10:27 PM
Well, I didn't spend enough money!!

Couldn't find any big bandsaws to buy :((

I did, however, walk away with a bargin form one of the well known tool suppliers courtesy of a clerical error. I didn't check the reciept until we got home. :oo: :oo: :oo:

One of these set me back just over $100 :B :B

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/images/hires/05P33-01.jpg

Wood Butcher
22nd April 2007, 10:29 PM
I recon in future we should have a couple of agreed meeting times and places so we can all catch up without a lot of fiddle.
11am and 3pm near the coffee seems to be a good time & place.
cheers

Great idea although I reckon 11am and 2pm. Fours hours between coffee's is too much:p

TEEJAY
23rd April 2007, 09:05 AM
I spent Saturday there and took a couple of friends we had a great outing.

I caught up with most people here that have written with the exception of Wendy and Biting Midge.

Had lunch with Simo, Soundy and Dai Sensei.

I was pleased with the missing crowds and really enjoyed the day.

I went expecting to only buy a blade for my stanley No7 and did get one from Clifton and Academy for $127 - bit exy but the plane works wonderfully now.

I got some burnishing oil recommended by Neil andin doing this got a demo on it's application and then immediately bought a Metabo 6" random orbital sander (didn't plan on that purchase :rolleyes: :D ).

I got some myrtle and plug cutting bit and that's about it.

Saw a few presentations - all worthwhile - one on lathes and another on scrapers.

Had a great day out .

Neil the muffins were nice too :rolleyes:

wattlewemake
23rd April 2007, 10:30 AM
Well I didnt buy much but what I did buy cost more than enough.:rolleyes:
Am now a proud domino owner.:2tsup: Not allowed to use it anger until I am finished my landscaping projects though.:(

Also put a deposit down on an 18" bandsaw from Gregorys.They discounted the saw and then gave me the wrong price on the mobile base so they honoured it. Freight was about normal though. All in all pretty happy with how it went.

Sat through a couple of Richard Vaughan's workshops. Learnt a fair bit and was quite interesting. Must of been ok as I signed up to do a router 1 day workshop.:D

Ran into Greenie and had a good yarn with him. Saw Wendy at the start before the show but was caught in the crush of the crowd. Didnt see her after that to say hello though.

The show was pretty good though it seemed like it was smaller in terms of machinery compared to last year.

Went home with a hole burnt in the wallet and got berated for spendin so much money so I was forced to use my trump card... bought swmbo a picture framing kit from frameco so I wasnt in trouble for very long. She came with me to the show last year and wanted one but we couldnt afford it so I knew that was a good get out of jail card lol.:D

All in all a pretty good day.

Shane.

Wizened of Oz
23rd April 2007, 04:38 PM
Went on Friday with nephew, and again on Saturday with nephew and SIL.
Said G'day to Neil & Pauline, Jim & Irene, ran into Wendy (Ruffly) several times on Friday, chewed the fat for a short while on Saturday with Soundman, dai sensei, MajorPanic & wife, Simomatra, Munga. I know, I've left one out. Can't for the life of me remember. You know who you are so if you read this, please accept my apology.
This year I was going to spend very little so I spent even less than that. Just some sandpaper from Hardware for Creative Finishes & PU & Epoxy from Boatcraft.
I've already used a fair amount of the PU (Purbond) and, as well as being cheaper than 2 other brands($12 against Selleys $20 & Titebond $30), I seemed easier to use. And 30 minute open time is very helpful when you are as slow with your glue-ups as I am.
The only tool was a contour sanding attachment for my Fein Multimaster.
Had a couple of power tools in mind but I can buy them much cheaper right here in town.
I was going to spend a fair bit of time at the demonstrations, but at my first I went sound asleep halfway through. No fault of the demonstrator. These days if it's not hands-on I drop off.
The only new tool that caught my attention was Peter Collins' Precision Sharpening Guide. An excellent tool,the concept looked just right, but not the price. $405(Show Special) to sharpen plane irons & chisels seems a bit steep. I'll leave that to those who would pay $200 for a scratch awl or $500 for a marking gauge.

TEEJAY
24th April 2007, 09:00 AM
The only new tool that caught my attention was Peter Collins' Precision Sharpening Guide. An excellent tool,the concept looked just right, but not the price. $405(Show Special) to sharpen plane irons & chisels seems a bit steep. I'll leave that to those who would pay $200 for a scratch awl or $500 for a marking gauge.

Hi Wizened,

I saw that gadget at the Gordon stand and it did catch my eye. I grabbed their cattledog and did see it in there as one of only a few items with the price not shown - thought as much it would be expensive. :)

Toolin Around
24th April 2007, 01:56 PM
I bought a set of the rope thingy ma jigs being sold there. The guy had the stand showing how you could lift an engine with these things. They the ducks guts. And a two year subscription to Australian Woodworker. Had to use a mates address though cause I probably will move more than once in that time.

dai sensei
24th April 2007, 02:02 PM
Great idea although I reckon 11am and 2pm. Fours hours between coffee's is too much:p

11am and 3pm were for morning and afternoon tea respectively, don't forget there is lunch between :U

Jim Carroll
28th April 2007, 10:39 AM
It was great to catch up with you guys from the forum.
We are now able to put a few more faces to names, unfortunately not able to chat too long with you. May have to organise a get together at the end of the day so we can chew the fat with you.
We had a good time in Bris Vegas and hope to see you all again next year.

We were truely saddened by the loss of Auld Bassoon and hearing of the loss of Mikes wife, all formites passed on the news to us as they realised we were ofline for the trip. Our thoughts are with their families.

Jedo_03
28th April 2007, 10:52 PM
All this banter just makes me wish that JULY was here and we were at the WWshow in ADELAIDE...
Timber..
Tools..
Knick-Knacks..
What-nots..
Is Ubeaut going...
Should we buy a hat...
Will the Chancellor of the Exchequer clear the funds for a bandsaw..
Will we get any bargains..
Will I buy s'thing that I don't even need. . .
Christmas in July... LOL
Jedo

Socrates
30th April 2007, 04:34 PM
[quote=
The only new tool that caught my attention was Peter Collins' Precision Sharpening Guide. An excellent tool,the concept looked just right, but not the price. $405(Show Special) to sharpen plane irons & chisels seems a bit steep. I'll leave that to those who would pay $200 for a scratch awl or $500 for a marking gauge.[/quote]

Hi people, I'm new to these forums so if I ask any dumb questions be patient with me.

I've seen the Peter Collins jig advertised and wondered firstly how it worked and secondly how much it cost. I'm still interested to see how it works but now that I know the cost I dare say I'll stay away. So how does it work??

BTW Triton is about to release a Tormek look-alike and they say it will be under $200.00.

Wizened of Oz
1st May 2007, 02:02 PM
So how does it work??

It doesn't work at all. It just sits on the bench and expects you to do the work.:)

Referring to the photo in my post above,you set the sharpening angle on the quadrant, place the blade on the angled plate butted against the shoulders of the brass screws and with the cutting edge just proud of the front edge. Clamp it with the small clamp and then "file" the bevel with diamond stone or water stone or oilstone or even sandpaper on a flat surface. The roller at the front keeps the sharpening stone level. Very easy, and the edge being sharpened is facing you.

soundman
3rd May 2007, 09:57 PM
I know its a couple of weeks since but here is a pic of my haul.....there are a few bits missing....... I know its a poor effort:- will try better next year:D

As for wendy's problem.

I recon we should petition the show organisers to mandate a safe working load on all bags at the show.

Now I'm thinkin' a wheel barrow wouldnt be a bad idea:D

cheers