PDA

View Full Version : Here's a Segmented piece I made for my Sis-in-Law

Bill Wyko
21st April 2007, 03:55 AM
I don't know if I posted this one before but I made this for my sister-in-law. It's Bocote, Chakte Kok, Curly Maple and Purple Heart. About 10 inches tall and 9 in diameter. The finish is 9 coats of Deft and buffed with Tripoli, white diamond and carnauba wax. Comments and critiques are welcome.:2tsup:

chrisb691
21st April 2007, 05:00 AM
Hi Bill,

Looks great. The grain in the Bocote is stunning. :2tsup:

Tony Morton
22nd April 2007, 05:27 PM
Hi Bill
Stunning accuracy and paitence you have done well I wish I was as good.

Cheers Tony

tashammer
22nd April 2007, 05:44 PM
ah well, seen one piece of inspired brilliance, seen 'em all.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd April 2007, 10:23 PM
I gather that you like your SIL... :D

BernieP
22nd April 2007, 11:18 PM
G'Day Bill

Very nice piece

Cheers
Bernie

Hardenfast
24th April 2007, 09:19 PM
I was wondering what you'd been up to, Bill. As usual - outstanding!

As we speak my Beale 3x buffing set-up and my segmented turning books (your recommendation) are winging their way back from the US - along with a few other goodies - so hopefully this wizardry you've been performing will soon make a little more sense.

Seriously, great stuff! Again. Daunting, but inspiring.

But a query, if I may....... I have not used any buffing compounds yet - or indeed a buffer (soon....soon....). I was of the opinion that Tripoli was a metal buffing compound - or is it universal - or is there a range of Tripoli compounds for different applications?

I have ordered the Beale 3x buffing wheel kit and the bench buffer kit as well which I think both include different materials, so it will be fun experimenting. By the way, I ended up buying a cheap 2nd lathe so I can set up the 3x buffing assembly and leave it there. Is this what you do?

Gil Jones
25th April 2007, 02:38 PM
Good looking segmented piece, Bill.
SIL should be real happy.

Bill Wyko
28th April 2007, 07:13 AM
Sorry I haven't got back with you all. The server was down or something. When I use my 3 wheel I coat the piece with tung oil and let it dry completely then I do the 3 wheel system. The results will be very impressive i can assure you. I haven't posted much lately because I'm working on a vessel that's over 2000 pieces, 2 feet tall and 13 inches in diameter. I'll start a new thread with a pic of one segment with 60 pieces.:2tsup:

Bill Wyko
29th April 2007, 06:43 AM
I gather that you like your SIL... :D
We all get together for BBQ or some kind of great meal on saturdays and BOY can she cook. My BIL is my best friend too so it all works out great. I'm trying to get him into turning but he's concerned about the time it would take away from other projects. Apparently he has more forsight than me:doh: Because turning seems to suck up most of my off time already.:D