PDA

View Full Version : WIP workbench.

himzol
22nd April 2007, 07:11 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started work on a new bench. The reason for the new bench is simple, since re-shuffeling evrything around in my shed I found that the old welded up unit which was aginst the wall had to go.

For a while ther I didn't know what material to make it from, I do have a lot of Jarrah and also Oak.

In the end I decided on the Oak, for two reasons - the lighter colour and also the stuff I was saving for a dining table had been attacked by borers which made it unusable for that.

Anywho the progress so far..

Pic one .. is of the timber I used for the bench top... this is recycled Oak from a winery... cleaned up and ripped down to 45mm and glued up (eventually ) with Polly U. I did ask which glue to use, the overwhelming answer was Epoxy and I did buy some but whent with the PU because it was less work.

Pic 2 and Pic 3 are of the bench top with the "skirt" dry fitted.

I still haven't worked out the base - but am leaning to a cabinet type, I also have to work out the best method of fixing the Dawn 10" vice without showing any bolts etc.

BTW don't look too closely at the dovetails :B :B

Himzo.

Harry72
22nd April 2007, 07:25 PM
Looks good Himzo, could the vice be mounted to the frame work rather than the top?

MajorPanic
22nd April 2007, 08:23 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started work on a new bench...............

& you haven't finished yet??

Get on wif it! We wanna see the results! :wink: :U :cool:

himzol
22nd April 2007, 08:51 PM
Looks good Himzo, could the vice be mounted to the frame work rather than the top?

Hmmm.. haven't looked into that, seems feasable, Thanks for the idea.

himzol
22nd April 2007, 08:54 PM
& you haven't finished yet??

Get on wif it! We wanna see the results! :wink: :U :cool:

With the only other tech at work being on long service leave in Europe, the words of Douglas Adams rang true over the past six weeks... " Time is and ilusion (sp)...Lunch time doubly so"

I would have loved to have finished but I've been like the proverbial "blue Ass fly"...

BTW thanks for the advice on the Poly U..

H.

Pat
22nd April 2007, 09:01 PM
Himzo, the top is looking good. Have a look at Highland Hardware for a Faq on mounting the vice.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=135

Don't worry about the Major, I've been in the process of building my bench for the past two years. (I am not including the four benches on the perimeter of the shed . . . :U )

Wild Dingo
23rd April 2007, 12:33 PM
That workbench is gonna look mickey mouse himzol :2tsup:

See now can anyone understand why Im hessitant about building a drop dead gorgeous looking work bench like this? mmmm I mean SHE would nick it and next thing I know it would be her sewing table! :C and so... I keep up the illusion of "goin to build" a ubeaut good looking workbench :;

Good one mate... now when you gonna finish it? :2tsup:

himzol
24th April 2007, 07:30 AM
now when you gonna finish it?

Hopefully this weekend... which starts tomorrow.:U :U :U

The other bloke is back from his trip around europe, so he can hold the fort while I have a rest..:roll:

H.

Cliff Rogers
24th April 2007, 09:08 AM
Looking good H, are you working from a plan or just making it up as you go?

himzol
24th April 2007, 08:08 PM
Looking good H, are you working from a plan or just making it up as you go?

No Plans, just winging it..

I am using alot of ideas from people that have posted pictures of their benches and the recent thread started by Wongo is great. I did start by thinking I would make something like the one here: http://mail.friendlycity.net/~krucker/Bench/index.htm

But the limitations of the timbers on hand has forced me to go in another direction. Basicaly it will be this top with a basic four post/cabinet type construction underneath (all in Oak of course)

H.

manoftalent
24th April 2007, 08:32 PM
Nice job on the top himzol, I plan on making one similar myself from recycled fence pailings .....hardwood of course :2tsup: materials are cheap when you get em for nothing:U

Cliff Rogers
24th April 2007, 08:38 PM
I have Kieth's plans saved already, they are good.
I bought Les Miller's & built my bench out of Kwila using them.

MajorPanic
24th April 2007, 10:48 PM
Don't worry about the Major, I've been in the process of building my bench for the past two years...........Pfffftt!!

2 Years! Bloody hell, your quick out of the blocks ain't ya? :wink:

I've had the basic idea for about 5 years & finalised the design a couple of years ago. Rushed out & ordered a specific tree (Silver Ash) to be felled, milled & dried. That process has taken 19 months! :C
Still to find the timber for the frame of the bench :rolleyes:

Cliff Rogers
24th April 2007, 11:29 PM
...Still to find the timber for the frame of the bench :rolleyes:
Talk to Mick, he says he thinks he knows where there is some silver ash up here. He could bring some down on his empty trailer. :wink:

himzol
30th April 2007, 10:20 PM
OK I've got the frame glued Up (pic 1) and the top is also all glued up and just resting on the frame in Pic2.

Pic 3 is a little something I made while waiting for glue to cure ( inspired by the wild man from the west, :U

At this point I'm at bit of a quandary, apart from having to do some clean up of the glue and then sanding and finishing, I'm trying to decide whether to put the 10" Dawn vice on it or buy some tail vice and front vice screws and make it look more like a traditional European type setup.

I have a few days to ponder the question ( I will take suggestions) as my next shed time will be spent on making a Dunkelweizen.

Himzo.

Harry72
1st May 2007, 08:42 AM
Ahhhhh chocolate beer yes?

Pat
12th June 2007, 10:42 PM
Just an update. My bench is basically structurely done. Finish size 1600 x 600 x 940 (63 x 24 x 37). It has two vices on it, a Dawn No 9 as the end vice and a Record 52 ED as the side vice. I still have to decide wether I will finish it and what with. Dog holes, vice jaws and skirting are also to be installed.

Himzo. how's the Dunkelweizen and the bench?

himzol
13th June 2007, 07:06 PM
Himzo. how's the Dunkelweizen and the bench?

The bench is on hold for a while, I've decided to use a Veritas twin screw vice as a tail vice, so need to put some money aside for that. I also want to make some cabinets and draws for it, which means cleaning up some more of the wine soaked Oak.

As for the Dunkelweizen, Carbonating nicely... with the cool weather up here in the hills I'd say it's probably going to be another couple of weeks. Though the eary taster was very nice indeed :2tsup: .

Since then I've put down a Munich Dunkel and a Vienna Larger which are both fermenting very nicely as well, might go for a Bock next. :)

H.

Harry72
13th June 2007, 11:31 PM
Bringin any that Dunkelweizen to the Adel WWWshow:drink2::cheers2::drink:

himzol
14th June 2007, 06:59 PM
Bringin any that Dunkelweizen to the Adel WWWshow:drink2::cheers2::drink:

The thought hadn't crossed my mind, but I can't see why not :2tsup: .

Pat
14th June 2007, 09:27 PM
Bugger and double bugger! I'll just have to christen the bench with Tooheys Black.