PDA

View Full Version : Changing Blades

Wanda
25th July 2003, 02:54 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I have recently purchased a Delta 16" variable speed scrol saw and am enjoying learning how to use it.
I find I have to remove the table locking device before I can change the blade. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Dean
25th July 2003, 03:05 PM
I don't have to remove mine usually. Is it getting in the way?
The handle is spring loaded so you can pull it out a little and rotate it out of the way.

Sir Stinkalot
25th July 2003, 04:52 PM
Barbara,

Just out of interest how do you find the Delta? (its just out in the garage sitting on the bench :D) The price seems quite good considering it is only $100 or so more than the cheapies.

Stinky.

Wanda
29th July 2003, 07:02 PM
Hi Sir Stinkalot
As you can gather from my posting I am rather a novice with the scroll saw. So far I have found it great and have managed to get some acceptable results with it. Though the old saying - "no two the same" - takes on a new meaning as far as following the lines exactly is concerned. I was lucky to attend the Gympie Show last year where a lovely lady was demonstrating Scroll Saw work using a Delta 16" variable speed. I purchased one after that and then was back there this year to ask lots of questions. The information I was given has been very helpful.
I have found that I can't purchase the blades, I required, locally but I was able to buy them by mail order from Carbatec.
My husband built a stand, which he bolted the saw to, the right height for us to use the saw sitting down. The stand is made from old steel bed frames, welded together. I have since added a piece of wood to clamp a bed lamp to.
Hope this is of help to you
Barbara

Wanda
29th July 2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks Dean
Your reply gave me the confidence to mess around - I didn't realise that the clamp on the bottom was attached to an arm that could be pushed down - my sewing machine mentality!
When the saw is turned off it must stop with the blade in the up position.

Dean
30th July 2003, 10:42 AM
Yes, or you can move the arm manually to have the locking screws at the bottom showing.
Its easier to move the 'arms' if you release the tension on the blade first :)

Dean

Ditty
13th October 2003, 10:06 PM
:) Hello Wanda, I too have a delta 16" variable speed and find it to be a good machine - mind you I havent tried any others but my only complaint is that the little blower is ineffectual so I have to find another way to get rid of the dust perhaps as someone else suggested a small fan. My husband secured my scroll saw to a metal bar stool with the back rest removed and a heavy block of wood replacing the seat which he then secured the saw to. It is sturdy enough and the right height when sitting at it plus it is portable. I too had trouble changing the blades when they had to be totally removed to thread through those middle of the work drill holes but it is now a lot easier with practice. I get my blades from Neil Schulz on this forum and am very happy with them. Bye

minis4meau
14th October 2003, 12:45 PM
Hi all,
Such a long time since I logged on. Love the new look site!!
I have replaced the love of my life, my second-hand Rexon scrollsaw with a new Delta recently. The Rexon has worked hard for 5 years and so have I, locking and unlocking with that Allen Key, sometimes 30 or so times in a sitting.
No more!!
I just LOVE the Delta. Flick the tension bar and release the blade in seconds. Love it!! Why oh why did I wait so long.
Wanda, you mention about removing the blade to thread through the timber. There is no need for that, just release the top clamp, thread through and clamp up again. The bottom clamp remains untouched until you change blades - which isn't very often in my case!!
LOVE IT!! Anyone for a pre-loved Rexon Scrollsaw going cheap?
Barbara2

minis4meau
14th October 2003, 12:50 PM
Getting all to confusing here....
Sorry I meant Ditty when I said no need to remove blade, not Wanda (who is Barbara). And I see you mean to remove the blade when you have to cut in the middle of large pieces of work. I have never encountered that problem, I seem to have always been able to thread through without undoing the lower clamp.
Barbara 2