PDA

View Full Version : Mallets anyone?

Wild Dingo
23rd April 2007, 01:57 AM
Someone was muttering about mallets the other week so given the forum decided to enforce a break upon me just as her bloody highness gave me leave to return to me tools in the cave... so after Id finished the boat thing I grabbed a saw and went to the stack of logs an stuff outside the shed... mmmm found it.... cut drag onto the bandysaw cut again and again and again grab chisel debark and onto the lathe... and with BLUNT chisels in hand I hold me breathe look at the peice... waiting waiting... aaaaaahhh there it is... a gentle whisper

"make me into a small mallet for one of your daughters"... mmmm interesting a small mallet for one of the girls I thought? mmm then it struck me if I made a nice small mallet such as a carvers mallet out of some stunning timber they could fit it in their handbag or schoolbag or next to their seat in the car any trouble WHAMMO!!! cop that dipstick! broken hand pronto :~

So... having no idea what wood I had just put into the lathe I arced it up... began with the big fat wide mouthed chisel (who knows the names of these things??) whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... mmmmm nice colors comin out... keep goin... mmmm excelllent colors and features... keep going... mmmmmm citrus smell??... ooooooooh right!! its some of the Mock Orange I cut down last year!!

So I changed chisels to the blunt triange shaped one (pointy tip thingy) and faced up to it again looking at it to determine the shapes... and into it... there just so... put it down grab up the wide mouthed one again and into it.. I mean theres chips and dust goin everywhere!! Im in the zone man!! :2tsup: mmm bedda stop Shane.., take a little more here a tad more there mmmm not bad... grab up the small blunt round mouthed one and face up again... just a bit here a tad there a skarrick here... yes thats the one... I take up the screwy sorta flat blunt one and face up again lay it flat along the peice and in I go again... mmmmm take some here turn it round there and there take a fair bit away there turn the chisel on edge and in for the cut!!... halfway through both ends I stop... turn it off... mmm pretty cool I thinks... check the shelf for what Ive got to finish it with... mmmm pretty bare up there mmm oh well a bit of eee will do the trick... so move the stand thingy outta the way grab a rag turn the lathe back on arc it up where the speeds good smeer it on... wait... just soo... there now!! grab a new rag under over and onto the wood... whirring shining whirring shining more... okay enough

turn the lathe off and move the stand thingy back in pick up the flat skewy lookin chisel again face up... mmmm hold breath... I usually just grab the jap saw and cut through the ends at this point but after watching the vids that Chris sent I thought "buggar it have a go yer mug" so I did... turned the lathe on but down LOW... real low... I did not want to be wearing this thing in the head... so cut down move to the other end cut down move back cut move cut move finally I felt just that point... just there!... pop the piece pops off in my waiting hand!!! bloody amazing!!

So after gloatingly looking at this thing I thought why not? ive got 6 girls soooo whatcha waitin for yer wombat! and within a couple of hours of the most enjoyable time in the cave Id spent in some time I ended up with 4 done and the light cought up with me so as the sight went due to darkness approaching I packed up leaving the last two for the next clear sunny day

So the mallets... or "whopper" as Tiffany who got hers this evening calls it she chose the smallest quite right too she is after all the "flea" of the family :;

Ive started making the carvers mallets with a small indentation turned into the hammer part for the thumb as it gives great control thats also the reason Im making them with the knob at the handle end... better grip :; THUNK! can you feel it? :2tsup: Aint no one gonna mess with my girls EVER AGAIN! :~ cop a carvers mallet of Mock Orange in the gonads and you mister aint gonna be doin nuffin other than singing friggin falsetto!! mind you I tapped it on Joshys arm this evening and he was on the ground holding it in one hell of a hurry... so I clacked meself on the back of the hand MAN!! seriously!! a tap with this thing hurts so imagine a fear induced WHAMMOH!!... "oh whats this? well officer its a carvers mallet my dad left in the car"... "It was in my bag cause I was holding it for my dad"... "Oh this thing? I dont know I think its me dads" no worries!! The girls safety comes FIRST and if this is the only thing I can do to give them even a fighting chance then stuff what anyone says they all get one and are shown where to put it so its handy and how to use it

ooh sizes? smallest one is a smear under 5 inches the largest a smear over 7 inches... I actually think about 6in is about just right for the girls

hehe and cause theyre carver mallets and cause I aint got no carving chisels... guess who now HAS to buy some?? mmmm?? pretty cluey thinkin if I do say so meself!! gotta cover the bases ;:

tashammer
23rd April 2007, 02:28 AM
Nice bits of wood for der heads, dey have Shane. Puts me in mind of Maori carving it do.

How far can Tiffany hop? Is she any good at the long jump? Are you expecting a silver or a gold?

OGYT
23rd April 2007, 02:54 AM
Nice job on the 'whoppers', Mate. Good idea for a craft show piece... "Lady's handy little hoodlum handlers"...
Good onya, Shane.

Wild Dingo
23rd April 2007, 03:00 AM
Nice bits of wood for der heads, dey have Shane. Puts me in mind of Maori carving it do.

:U :U

How far can Tiffany hop? Is she any good at the long jump? Are you expecting a silver or a gold?

You lost me here? Tiff before Lukas was a WA state champion at athletics held several titles in running short and long course javelin and once the triple jump but she was more a runner... got into soccer just pre Lukas and has returned to soccer just recently to get fit again... she still runs with the local athletics club but not competitively or consistantly as baby sitters other than us are hard to come by for them and she doesnt like loosin mummy time with the little takker now shes back at work

But Ive missed the connection somewhere in the translation I think :doh:

OGYT
23rd April 2007, 03:14 AM
Think flea. :D

DJ’s Timber
23rd April 2007, 10:29 AM
Well done Shane, lovely timber

bitingmidge
23rd April 2007, 11:50 AM
wish I could find scraps like that!

Fabuloso!
Cheers,

P
:D

jmk89
23rd April 2007, 12:25 PM
Now I know what to do for Anna's second birfdy in June - a 2" carver's mallet and personal defence system.

ss_11000
23rd April 2007, 02:25 PM
top job shane.....:clap:

tashammer
23rd April 2007, 04:23 PM
Shane,
did ya work out the flea reference then?

BernieP
23rd April 2007, 07:27 PM
G'Day Shane

Good essay and great whackers

Cheers
Bernie

Harry II
23rd April 2007, 08:15 PM
ive got 6 girls soooo whatcha waitin for yer wombat! ;:

6! How about me, remember? 7 (well as far as I know there maybe more) and I want a mallet too. Yeah, and I'm just using Harry's username and login cause my computers broken and I know his daughter.:roll:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd April 2007, 08:33 PM
Good essay and great whackers

The mallets are good, too! :wink:

cedar n silky
23rd April 2007, 09:00 PM
Good one's Shane-:D Youv'e come a long way since you started on the forum- Well done. Sounds like you got the chucks and chissels worked out now!!:2tsup:

Ramps
23rd April 2007, 11:48 PM
I'll have one ... how much? ... I'm sure it beats buying a lathe and all those chisel- thingamejiggers ... and it would look better me thumping me chisels with one of those pretty things than me basic one piece bandsawn jarrah one.:roll:

Wild Dingo
24th April 2007, 12:30 AM
Cheers one and all :2tsup:
Ramps if you recall my first attempt was a bloody great thumpin 4x4 of Jarrah with a lump of Tuart bunged into it... heavy as but looked pretty cool after some work... another sequence of 3 then a period of other stuff another couple out of plum and one of mulberry and now these... I think Ive got a thing for mallets! :;

Got the flea thing mate no worries... it was actually why we nicknamed her flea in the first place... lets say for now Im having some increasing bouts of blondeness as my hair turns increasingly white :roll:

7 girls? you better get stuck in an make some mallets mate!!... Im increasing the amount by another 4... 2 for my sons and 2 for the FSILs... mmmm and my MIL has just asked for one for the boat so thats 5 more and then I guess theres Aarons GF who better get one as well.. so whats that 6 more?

shyte! what have I created???? :o

Im actually going to make one about 2in for young Lukas... mmmm maybe not eh? he has this co-ordination thing with cricket bats just now so I think I will leave that one...

Im not so sure about the lathe chucks and such these are simply done between centres... Ive got some nice big chunks ready to go on and be made into bowls and such... but... Ive gotta get to see me legendary ol mate Derrick Cohen on Anzac day and learn to sharpen the damned chisels first!!! I aint gonna be going into bloody great bowls or even smaller ones without at least having SHARP chisels!!

I think Im okay with between centres and small bowls its only when they get a tad large for the chuck and I have to go to the face plate or screw thing that I tend to get a tad... mmm shall we say nervous? :C but its okay Im getting there and pretty soon I'll be bunging bloody great chunks of burl on there!! I will :; :2tsup:

But yeah Im lovin the lathe something shocking... seems to really relax me somehow... just watching the raw timber become something is awesome and very stress releiving

I just saw the comment about selling them... great idea there!! Im actually considering having a go at the stall circuit at the small fairs and such around here... a bunch of different small bowls a bunch of whackers some basic marquetry artwork a couple of boxes and see what happens eh? cheers for that!!

Hickory
24th April 2007, 01:27 PM
Mallets are the first (or one of the first) project I have my students produce, it provides practice for several skills and the results are a tool they will need, should they endeavor to stay with WWing and Lathe practices. Here are a couple of my accomplishments...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/mallots2.jpg

The left is made of Hickory head with Walnut handle, the Right is Black Cherry from a chunk of firewood. I use each and often.

Wild Dingo
24th April 2007, 02:57 PM
Beautiful mallets Hickory... actually having scored a fair whack of hickory veneers awhile back from one of your fellow countrymen... I must say Im quite impressed with it and will one day get around to buying a chunk of the proper stuff to play with... and dont yer love the fire wood heap? gawd I love that... get the FIL to drop of a load or go raid his property for some come back toss it on the heep then a few weeks later go "ratting" amazing what great timbers people toss out as firewood eh!

Good job mate! must think to make some of them lines in the heads one day :2tsup:

Ramps
24th April 2007, 04:49 PM
Dingo
are u in on the w/e
I feel the need to come and visit as I need to split a a couple of planks of Marri on the bs for a wine rack that I'm building.

himzol
24th April 2007, 08:28 PM
Nice work..

I could use one of those for the blasted possums that have taken up residents in my shed..:U

H.

m2c1Iw
24th April 2007, 08:37 PM
Hey Shane,
Can you tell me how I can get your voice recognition software:wink: Just kidding great knockers:D

Mike

OGYT
29th April 2007, 12:17 PM
Yo! Grouchinator! You inspired me. :D :2tsup:
So I turned this one out of Bois d'Arc. It's supposed to be a Wood Carver's mallet... but the carver bloke was down South to an art show, so I gotta wait til he gets back to see if it's any good.:(
Anyway, just wanted ya to know yer an inspiration!!:U :D :2tsup:

Dennis Millard
29th April 2007, 06:42 PM
Nice job on the 'whoppers', Mate. Good idea for a craft show piece... "Lady's handy little hoodlum handlers"...
Good onya, Shane.

A while ago, my daughter, who lives in Darwin, was burgled. The cheeky bugger came in while she was home! She woke up and saw him, didn't know what to do. Fortunately he left, but when she told me, I remembered the old English bobbies truncheon which was made of Lignum Vitae. Didn't have any, but I had a lovely old redgum fence post. I quickly turned a cipy of the old ones as far as I could remember, and sent it to her. I said, "If the cops or enyone want to know what it is, it's a fish stunner which you keepp in the boat." She hasn't had occasion to use it yet but I pity the poor burglar who cops a smack on the arm from that!

Iain
29th April 2007, 06:48 PM
it's a fish stunner which you keep

In fishing circles known as a 'Priest' for administering last rites.

Hickory
1st May 2007, 03:40 AM
In fishing circles known as a 'Priest' for administering last rites.

Not much into "Catch n' Release" are ya....:;

Wild Dingo
1st May 2007, 05:12 AM
A while ago, my daughter, who lives in Darwin, was burgled. The cheeky bugger came in while she was home! She woke up and saw him, didn't know what to do. Fortunately he left, but when she told me, I remembered the old English bobbies truncheon which was made of Lignum Vitae. Didn't have any, but I had a lovely old redgum fence post. I quickly turned a cipy of the old ones as far as I could remember, and sent it to her. I said, "If the cops or enyone want to know what it is, it's a fish stunner which you keepp in the boat." She hasn't had occasion to use it yet but I pity the poor burglar who cops a smack on the arm from that!

And just so is the reason I made them as I did... see something like a truncheon looks well like a truncheon doesnt it? something designed to for one purpose and one purpose only to whollop someone on the scone and disable them as quickly as possible... the one problem I saw with that idea was that it could easily be seen by the powers that be as a "concealed weapon" or "carrying a dangerous weapon" or some such... I wanted something that was small enough to fit inside their handbag but hard enough to make a definant impact if needed then be reasonably assured that they wouldnt be charged with having a "concealed weapon" or any other charge like it... its a carvers mallet!! its not theirs its dads they were minding it/ found it hadnt returned it etc for/to dad!!

Id been thinking about an incident that happened to our eldest daughter a few years back sorta similar only very much the worst thing that can happen to a girl or any woman... now maybe what happened would have happened anyway even if she had have had a wee hard mallet to hand but then maybe just maybe she could have disarmed him enough to be able to escape and run like hell with him writhing in agony squeeling like the denutted pig he was behind her... there have been too many revolting things happening to young girls and even old ladies of late and I believe something as simple and small as this could give them the opportunity to "fight" back to empower them if you will... I dont care whos got it in their hand how small how young how old how whatever just one quick sharp whack and IT WILL HURT and if its in the right place IT WILL disable the basturd at least enough for them to get help.. it is as simple as that...

I just think a girl or a woman SHOULD be able to defend themselves somehow against the truds of the world... if the only thing we as fathers can do to help them (believe me as a parent Ive never EVER felt so bloody utterly powerless than on that one day) if we only do this one thing the knowledge that its there IF they choose to use it they may be able to escape and get safe... maybe not but its a chance my girl didnt have and by god its never going to happen again that one of them are unable to fight back and must suffer what these peices of filth do... training is not an option its a DEFINANT!... they know where and how to use the thing and god help anyone stupid enough to try it on my daughters from here on... its so simple so easy and yet so effective one should be in every girl and womans handbag

What Ive now done since they like them so much is Ive started making more... Tiff Yaz and Melissa all drive so Im making one to lay beside their seat in the car and it stays there... and one for the house... Im actually intending to give them all at least 5... yes at least 5 that way no matter where they are in the house or out and about there will be at least one reasonably close to hand

Maybe Im getting paraniod? probably but then Jo doenst mind having one in her car nor on the table beside the front door nor infact the one on the dryer in the laundry either and the little plum one next to the bed has its own "pillows" to rest on... she now feels safer than she ever has... just knowing theyre there has increased her own sence of safety... and that mates in this sodding day and age IS IMPORTANT!... we cant be there all the time to protect them or to help them so with this small simple thing that looks good and fits their hands like a glove they gain assurance and a greater sence of personal safety is I think a good thing.

Anyway from this paranoid one
Cheers!

ooh and I am making one or two for myself well for the shed actually for when I actually buy the carvers mallets that is... Ive had a peice of sheoak I had left over from something or other that I carved into a kidney shape that lives on the dash of the F100 and I dont think Id like to be belted in the face by a fist holding that!... the added weight and feel to your fist adds a whole new dimension to pain on the recieving ends face :D and anyways the F100 seems to always have something hard somewhere in it a log here a length of 4x2 there a steel bar here a jack there you know general hard heavy stuff ;:

Iain
1st May 2007, 08:09 AM
Not much into "Catch n' Release" are ya....:;

I am actually, just happen to know what a priest is, I love catching trout but loath the taste.

tashammer
1st May 2007, 08:20 AM
Yep Iain, know prezactly what you mean. The other lovely occasion for the priest is when a blasted eel slimes its way up yer trouser leg. But one needs to be careful in an old wooden dingy.

i wonder if eel skin wood make good pens?

Hickory
3rd May 2007, 12:10 PM
a blasted eel slimes its way up yer trouser leg. But one needs to be careful in an old wooden dingy.

That sounds a little kinky to me :o Not sure if I would want to be too close to you in a boat if you can't keep your eel in your trousers. I'd be calling for a Priest as well. :;

Frank&Earnest
3rd May 2007, 01:11 PM
Ok, so far I have tried to keep my mouth shut, but it's got to the stage where this kind of advice might become dangerous. Whoever thinks that a young/small/elderly person is safer if s/he carries a stick, think again. Any security expert will tell you that in case of aggression, fighting back increases the risk of serious injury. Weapons and fighting skills do compensate for physical strength, but if the balance is still in favour of the assaillant, as it most often is, picking a fight is just suicidal.
When I was young, I learned martial arts and got a licence to carry a concealed firearm. I taught my children to be alert to potential threats and run and scream if necessary. Would you be really happy if the guy got a broken arm and your girl got a broken face?

tashammer
3rd May 2007, 01:25 PM
well frankly Earnest, i might be elderly but i aint small and i am waiting for someone to break in so i can rob them (more like poop myself AND rob them), he said patting his walking stick and 3 or 4 D-cell Mag-Lite (heavy little bugger). And i found that carrying a concealed weapon was useless if the shoulder holster didn't fit and one shot oneself in the leg AND tore ones pocket off trying to get it out. The Browning was easier, the S&W and the Webley were hopeless.

Gil Jones
3rd May 2007, 02:11 PM
I think that all of these mallets are well made, and look quite good!!!
But, I prefer a Remington 870, and a Colt 45 National Match for social work.