PDA

View Full Version : modesty screen materials

snappperhead
26th July 2003, 08:37 PM
hello,

I am making a screen and require quite fine mesh for one of the components. I have seen it around before, I think it may be stainless, or perhaps aluminium but it is rigid as aposed to flexible, like fly screen or chicken wire. I think the mesh is made from a sheet of material, then perforated by a drill bit or other technique. Any help whatsover would be helpful, and any suppliers in SA would be much appreciated as well.

thanks

journeyman Mick
26th July 2003, 11:26 PM
There's a couple of products that sort of fit your general description. One is a punched metal sheeting, comes in Aluminium, Stainless and Zincanneal. It's metal sheet with holes punched in it. Comes in different gauges and hole sizes/spacings. Can't help you with distributors in SA, but try your metal merchants and sheetmetal shops.
Then theres a series of very stiff woven meshes, used for screens of all types, again comes in different gauges. They use a fairly fine gauge one in Stainless for security flscreens.
There's also expanded metal mesh, which is a sheet of steel which has been punched and stretched out to form a mesh.
The first one is probably your best bet for a privacy/modesty screen. I have used it (powdercoated) for kitchen cabinet door panels.

Mick

Chesand
27th July 2003, 08:42 AM
Suggest you try a security screen door maker - I replaced ordinary flywire with the stonger mesh type and was able to buy it from a door maker. They sold me a piece to fit - it was flexible and I was able to pop rivet it back onto the door
Hope this might help