PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Descripition

Tamarit
24th April 2007, 04:21 PM
Could some one please explain the following term.When viewing a router catalog what is ment by "R1 2.5mm".Does this mean (a) that the arc refered to as being that of which you would gain from a circle with a radius of 2.5mm or (b) is it that if you were to draw two parrallel lines through the ends of the arc and measure the distance between these two lines would that measure 2.5mm. or (c) none of the above.Yours respectfullyDick

scooter
24th April 2007, 08:49 PM
Could some one please explain the following term.When viewing a router catalog what is ment by "R1 2.5mm".Does this mean (a) that the arc refered to as being that of which you would gain from a circle with a radius of 2.5mm or (b) is it that if you were to draw two parrallel lines through the ends of the arc and measure the distance between these two lines would that measure 2.5mm. or (c) none of the above.Yours respectfullyDick

Usually (a) in your quote above.

Put up a pic of the line drawing in the catalog to be sure we're barking up the right tree here.

Cheers...............Sean

Tamarit
24th April 2007, 10:36 PM
Sean,
Thank you for your response.
I have enough trouble making saw dust and absolutely no hope of loading a pic.
I have no evidence ever seeing lines drawn on an arc in a catalog but suggested this as an option because when I asked my local dealer his explanation was that this is the measurement refered to as R1, R2 etc. He demonstrated this be taking a rule and pencil and drawing a line through each end of the arc and measuring the distance between the parrallel lines
I am happy to go with your clarification of (a) being the right approach.
Thanks again.
Dick

Dan
25th April 2007, 01:54 PM
You would usually only see a number after the R if there's more than one radius on the bit. Like these. (http://www.carbitool.com.au/pdf%27s/PageR021.pdf)

John Saxton
25th April 2007, 09:30 PM
DAN is spot on the money, informed radius measurements allow for your planning of multiple forms.

Each radius in a multiple profile allows for a varying approach cut/design of your moulding or edge work obviously by setting the router bit at the depth of cut for that radius.

This becomes more apparent in panel moulding bits whereby you decide on the profile of the cut by the radius of the bit.

Hope this dosen't confuse you further.

Cheers:)