PDA

View Full Version : Leigh D4R or D1600?

Bodgia
24th April 2007, 06:54 PM
Hi guys,

I've been checking out this forum for a while and finally decided to register. With luck one day I'll be able to contribute something but for now I am after some advice.

I have been struggling with the decision about whether to buy a Leigh or Gifkins jig and have finally settled on the Leigh because of its versatility.

My problem is that I have always believed that you should buy the best (biggest) you can afford, so I reckon I will lash out and get the 24" D4R. However, before I commit to the purchase I am wondering if anybody has any advice that might sway me in the direction of the 16" D1600.

The thing is that bigger is not always better and I don't want to spend the extra money only to kick myself later because it is too big/clumsy/awkward/difficult to store etc. I could use the money I saved by buying the smaller jig to buy more tools.

I expect that the most likely answer is "it depends on what you want to use it for" and the response to that would be that I only have plans for relatively small boxes and things at this stage, but of course I would hate to get the smaller jig, only to kick myself later because I have painted myself into a corner and can't do everything that I want to, if I choose to make larger items.

The agony of choice:oo: Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

rayintheuk
24th April 2007, 07:32 PM
I bought the Leigh D4 for the same reasons you're considering, plus I like to be able to "grow into" a tool, rather than swiftly outgrow it. I've now tried the 16" Leigh and it feels cramped by comparison. I've used the maximum capacity of the D4 several times, but whenever I use it and for whatever size of job, I love it. There is learning to do, but with the best manual you'll ever likely to see with any tool, it's not a problem.

The most crucial part of the process, however, is that you've got a router that is suitable for use on the Leigh. I used my big Triton for a couple of years - that was OK, but a bit "tippy." Now I've got the smaller Triton (MOF001) the combination is perfect. Good luck with your agonising! :)

Ray.

Bodgia
24th April 2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks Ray. I've got a Makita 3612C which should be powerful enough. Hopefully the guide bush that comes with the jig will fit.

Just George
24th April 2007, 09:26 PM
I have the D1600 and I love it, it works well with the 1400w Triton Router. If you can wait until June, go to the Sydney Wood Show or wait until September for the Wood Show in Canberra.

If you're not going to do carcasses or blanket boxes, buy the D1600. Otherwise buy the D1600 now, and later if you need to sell it on ebay to fund the D4 should you feel the need to then get one of those. A leigh jig on ebay would sell really well.

mat
24th April 2007, 09:39 PM
Bodgia

I use a Makita 3612 on the D1600 and it works well. You will need to buy an adapter for the guide bush that comes with the kit. (D4 or D1600) You should also consider the VRS which provides both vacuum and rear support for the router.
See it on the Leigh Website
www.leighjigs.com

John Saxton
25th April 2007, 09:54 PM
Hi guys,

I have been struggling with the decision about whether to buy a Leigh or Gifkins jig and have finally settled on the Leigh because of its versatility.

My problem is that I have always believed that you should buy the best (biggest) you can afford, so I reckon I will lash out and get the 24" D4R. However, before I commit to the purchase I am wondering if anybody has any advice that might sway me in the direction of the 16" D1600.

The agony of choice:oo: Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

G'day Steve I have had the D4R for years and well before any 16" model was considered the beauty of it is that in one pass those larger jobs can be done however if you have in mind to do major projects later on it would be something to bear in mind.
If I was you I would look at this factor as well as the space it may take up in your shop whereas if afterall all you want to concentrate on is small boxes the obviously the 16" is going to come into consideration.

It's also probably a good idea to check out the search function on this forum using 'Leigh" as your search word.

I use a Bosch 1300ACE very light router with all the functions and enough power to cope especially with "climbing" cuts on the Leigh.

Cheers:)

Cruzi
28th April 2007, 12:10 AM
I just bought the 1600 and found it OK so far, did think about getting the D4 but decided that since DAR timber is mostly only available up to 290mm and if I need to do larger project would have to join em up anyway, the 1600 was more than adequate. The extra expense was hard to justify for the D4.

So far (fingers crossed) not having too many problems.

Dean
28th April 2007, 01:19 AM
I have the D1600. Works a treat and got pretty much perfect results out of the box first go. I'm sure the D4 is equally as good. Bigger is always better of course... if you can afford it :rolleyes:

Bodgia
3rd May 2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys, my new D4R arrives tommorrow

Just George
3rd May 2007, 07:24 PM
So, we'll be expecting photos on Tuesday. That'll give you enough time over the long weekend to play with it.:2tsup:

Hoppoz
22nd June 2007, 10:26 PM
After much indecision and reading all the available posts I have settled on the D4R and the Finger Template, got a great deal at the SWWS and should have it delivered next week. Thanks to all those who have gone before and shared your experiences
:)

Hoppoz