PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling Letters

sally
27th July 2003, 03:25 PM
I am semi new to scrolling. I have used the band saw for most of my work and have decided to start some scroll sawing. I wanted to know the easiest way to cut letters? small ones for that fact? What is the best type of blade to use? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!!!

oges
28th July 2003, 08:02 PM
hope i word this so it makes sense. are you trying to cut the letters out of the wood so that you are left with the letter made from wood, or are you trying to cut the letter from the wood so it appears as a hole?

sally
28th July 2003, 10:59 PM
Bret

I guess either way. Maybe the easiest way. It would be great to know how to cut out letters both ways. The project I am working on happens to be a phrase. The ettering is about a 22 point (?).

Thanks for your help.

Sally

AlexS
29th July 2003, 08:58 AM
I've found the best way to do letters is to print out the word, phrase, etc from your computer, then stick that onto your wood with spray-on contact adhesive from art shops. You'll need to use a fine blade for 22pt.

oges
29th July 2003, 08:01 PM
Sally
As Alex said, if you are going to cut them out of the wood so you have the individual letters left over, you can just write the word in your MS Word program or similar with any font you wish and size to how you want it.

If you are looking to cut them out of the wood so that the letters appear as holes in the wood you will need to choose the font carefully. You will find letters like A, B, P etc.. will leave you with whats known as 'floaters'. This just means that when you cut the outline of the B the two inside bits will fall out as they arent attached to the outside bit of wood .. you will need to find a font that has these attached, I know of some just dont have them on hand right now .. if you cant find a font like that you can alter the letters in word so that all bits are connected.

if this makes no sense i can send some pictures of what i mean