PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Cut for "Loose" Sliding Dovetails?

cyface
25th April 2007, 04:35 AM
Hello, I'm making one of the projects in the "Incra Projects and Techniques (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2098)" book, specifically the sliding dovetail bookends.

I've cut the dovetail slots using DOVJ, but when I cut the tails, they are too wide.

Also, it says to set the depth of cut for a "loose sliding dovetail", but I can't find anywhere in the books that explains what that is. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

underused
25th April 2007, 11:46 AM
G'day,
If the tails are too wide (which is often the case) all you have to do is use the micro adjust. adjust a 1000th" each time, remember to rout both sides of the tail. You'll soon get a good fit. Its always better to have the tail a little big than too small, you can take it away, but cant add it on eh.

When it says you can adjust the depth of cut for a loose sliding dovetail, it means exactly that. Cut the dovetail trench , then for the pin, If you bring the router bit down a couple of thou" you'll get a smaller dovetail, and a looser fit. If you do this, be very careful not to bring the router bit down too much. Personally I havent needed to do this.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

sbnx
3rd May 2007, 02:01 AM
The motto for incra is "heighten to tighten; Lower to loosen". This means to make the dovetail fit loose simply lower the bit a couple hairs and your there.