PDA

View Full Version : Kerabuild Epoxy Glue

catbuilder
25th April 2007, 01:50 PM
Hi All

I bought three packs of Kerabuild Epoxy Adhesive on Ebay a while back, I read its from the Netherlands.

Has anyone come across this stuff before? or even used it? How did it go? any problems?

I bought 3 x 2kg packs of it, it was advertised as epoxy filler, but it says on the containers EPOADESIVO, I'll go out on a limb and say thats Epoxy Adhesive:U

Regards

Matt

Boatmik
25th April 2007, 06:59 PM
Howdy,

Adhesive, but for what?

If it smells of solvent it won't be crash hot for epoxy boatbuilding - it will be porous when it cures.

An ammonia smell is OK.

But if it is prethickened it my not be so good for wood either.

Generally 2:1 and up is OK, but 1:1 requires significant structural compromises.

Hope this overview helps.

MIK

Big Shed
25th April 2007, 07:24 PM
Did a Google on Kerabuild, and if I can believe the Google translation, it is an adhesive for the building industry, specifically to repait concrete etc. Appears to be made in Italy according to the website.
The translation isn't particularly good, so anybody's guess.
Doubt if it was from Holland, they usually have an English page on their websites, as well as French and German.

catbuilder
28th April 2007, 09:31 AM
Hi All

Thanks guys, its prethickened and a 1:1 mix, so it might not suitable, although I bought it off a guy who says hes in the boat building game, I'll try and find his details somewhere and ask him what he used it for specifically.

He did find that one of the packs had a scoop out of each part a&b, when he sent them down, he included a full roll of 50mm fibreglass tape, 500ml of epoxy resin and a new tube of sikaflex, to sweeten the deal, so very happy with the deal as a whole.:2tsup:

See what I can find out, it might be made in Spain maybe and company might be based in the Netherlands perhaps.

Regards

Matt

Daddles
28th April 2007, 02:27 PM
You'll find a use for it mate, even if it's just fillets to allow water to run away or bogging holes. Good move with the tape though - that's pricey darned stuff and sika is always useful to have around. Not feeling guilty about the deal are you? Well you probably should :D

Richard

catbuilder
28th April 2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Daddles

When he first wrote back and said 'theres a bit of a problem, some of the containers have been opened' I thought, he we go, I've been stiffed, but he said he'd throw in a couple of extra things to make up for it, so I thought, oh well see what turns up. Two days later recieved the package from Sydney or there abouts, had a look and decided that I've probably close to doubled the already good value for money, so no guilt here.

Sometimes you just win, best not to question how or why, I reckon.

I'll find something to use the goo on, and I was thinking along the same lines as far fillets go, just not use it for straight timber to timber gooing on boats perhaps.

Regards

Matt

STEPHEN MILLER
29th April 2007, 01:10 AM
I look at the stuff as well there is a 12 month shelf life on it so put me off a bit cause you dont know how long he it had been on his shelf
I downloaded a PDF instruction sheet if you want I can email it to you and it is a building fill used to glue things to concrete steel wood etc maybe he was into ferro boats:D

catbuilder
29th April 2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks Steve

I found the PDF and have a copy, will start walking around looking at things that need to be gooed.

Regards

Matt

Boatmik
29th April 2007, 02:52 PM
Now don't go gluing any taipan bits with that stuff!!!

Though it would probably be OK for Rudder and centreboard blanks if the finished foils were being glassed.

MIK

bitingmidge
29th April 2007, 03:28 PM
Don't be a sook Mik!

I glued my oars with a very similar 1:1 product (not a well known boating brand) and they lasted probably nearly two years before the glue lines started to fail.

I seem to remember your good self injecting 'em all with boatcote a few years ago, while muttering something derogatory about my packing tape binding..... the bits that stayed stuck are still stuck I think, or maybe it's the Bote Cote holding them together too!

Oh alright. Don't use it on the taipan!

In all seriousness, playing with glues and boatbuilding materials generally is a bit like growing up. We all take shortcuts or get cheap stuff from time to time, and we all seem to have to learn the hard way!

I'm sure it's got a million uses that aren't holding structural boat bits together though!

Cheers,

P:D

catbuilder
29th April 2007, 05:12 PM
Hi All

No the Taipan is a no go zone, its in the paint stage as we speak, so shouldn't need to go near it with any goo.

Still deciding on the next project, its a hard decision, alot harder than I thought it would be. One option that has recently come across the table is Rob Legg's new design, 20ft trailable, not too big or too small, about the size I have been looking for, and has a bit racer in it as well. But I don't think anyone has taken the plunge and built one yet, so maybe it should be me:2tsup:

Might take another look now, on this lazy sunday, after about 36mm of rain falling here in the last couple of days, KEEP IT COMING HUEY:U

Regards

Matt

Boatmik
29th April 2007, 05:44 PM
Don't be a sook Mik!

I glued my oars with a very similar 1:1 product (not a well known boating brand) and they lasted probably nearly two years before the glue lines started to fail.

In all seriousness, playing with glues and boatbuilding materials generally is a bit like growing up. We all take shortcuts or get cheap stuff from time to time, and we all seem to have to learn the hard way!

I'm sure it's got a million uses that aren't holding structural boat bits together though!

Cheers,

P:D

Good comments BM,

I've seen 1:1 joints spring apart a bit too often and also have spoken to both WEST and Bote Cote Chemists at different times. They would love to find a 1:1 mix that is cheap and strong - that they don't sell a 1:1 for boatbuilding tells the story completely.

I did see a 30ft boat with the interior glued with 1:1 and you could pull bits off the interior by hand. So while a pair of oars is a worthy experiment it is craziness to devalue or run the risk of wasting lots of other materials beside the glue. And just think of the two years of labour on the 30 footer.

I'll always be a sook I think.

MIK

bitingmidge
29th April 2007, 06:05 PM
One option that has recently come across the table is Rob Legg's new design, 20ft trailable, not too big or too small, about the size I have been looking for, and has a bit racer in it as well.

Hmmm... more info please!

Last RL 20 footer was actually a van de Stadt I recall : (The Status?)

Cheers,

P

catbuilder
29th April 2007, 06:29 PM
Gday Midge

No this ones really new, it hasn't even got a name I don't think. I know the one you talking about, Status Slipstream or something like that.

He has basically got the users of his forum, to come up with ideas or poll the group as to whether it has this or has that, a swing keel or drop keel for example and then put it all together in his design.

Go to www.rlyachts.net (http://www.rlyachts.net) and then click on 'New Boat' and also check out the 'New Boat Discussion' you'll see what I mean.

And by the way, everyone should read Robs Story, also on the site, it takes you from when he first started and is being added to all the time, interesting read I reckon.

Regards

Matt

bitingmidge
29th April 2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks Matt, now you've given me polyester flashbacks!

I used to sail with a cousin on one of the first batch of 24's. Those were the days before TS regs and we had two on trapeze! :oo: . ('74 I think!)

I spent far too much time hanging round the RL factory in Southport for my own good!

cheers,

P
:D