PDA

View Full Version : Veneered MDF?

mattbl
25th April 2007, 03:27 PM
Hello All

I'm new to to the forum and wood working for that matter so please go easy on me!

I have a cabinet here at home which I'm trying to source the same type of MDF. The MDF is 16mm and is veneered on both sides. From what I see it looks as if it comes pre-veneered and then a stain is applied to it by the cabinet maker as only one side is stained and finished.

Does that sound right? If so what is it called, and is it easily available?

Thankyou:)

Iain
25th April 2007, 03:38 PM
It is called veneered MDF, comes in a variety of timber veneers and costs $77 for a 2400x1200 sheet from my supplier, I have purchased Tas Oak/Vic Ash, Fijian Cedar, Cherry and have seen a variety of other types as well.
Can be cut to size by the supplier or placed in a suitable trailer and ferried home by yourself.
Finish like any solid timber.

mattbl
25th April 2007, 04:02 PM
It is called veneered MDF, comes in a variety of timber veneers and costs $77 for a 2400x1200 sheet from my supplier, I have purchased Tas Oak/Vic Ash, Fijian Cedar, Cherry and have seen a variety of other types as well.
Can be cut to size by the supplier or placed in a suitable trailer and ferried home by yourself.
Finish like any solid timber.

OK thanks mate

So does it come in a polished finish or do you need to do that yourself?

Sorry if this sounds a bit amatuerish for this place:B

Cheers

Iain
25th April 2007, 05:49 PM
Needs to be sanded stained (if you want) and finished, it's a bit like a sheet of pine from Bunnies in the finish/smoothness department, doesn't require a lot of effort or special gear, just be aware of raised grain after staining.
Don't go too heavy on sanding as the veneer is only a couple of mm thick.
I get mine from Universal Timbers in Dandenong, if you go there and see the sheila at the desk she will tell you there is only Tas Oak, go out the back and see Alby and he will show you what really is there, I love this place as there is so much on display and it's all pretty cheap.

mattbl
25th April 2007, 10:25 PM
Needs to be sanded stained (if you want) and finished, it's a bit like a sheet of pine from Bunnies in the finish/smoothness department, doesn't require a lot of effort or special gear, just be aware of raised grain after staining.
Don't go too heavy on sanding as the veneer is only a couple of mm thick.
I get mine from Universal Timbers in Dandenong, if you go there and see the sheila at the desk she will tell you there is only Tas Oak, go out the back and see Alby and he will show you what really is there, I love this place as there is so much on display and it's all pretty cheap.

Great
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Cheers