PDA

View Full Version : Here's a pic of one segment w/ 60 pieces

Bill Wyko
28th April 2007, 07:15 AM
This pic is one of 9 segments going into a vessel with over 2000 pieces. I've been on this one since march 15th. More to come soon.

tameriska
28th April 2007, 10:42 AM
Just this bit looks great.

May I ask what the green detail is made of?

Hardenfast
28th April 2007, 11:17 AM
Your works are getting more & more detailed & adventurous, Bill. Be sure to keep a detailed pictorial history of this one if you have time - it looks like it will be an award winner - maybe an Oscar or a Grammy or something? I don't know.... are there awards for this sort of thing?

In any case, I follow your posts with absolute fascination. My Beale buffing equipment & segmented work books arrived from the US today so I'm on your trail now baby. Looks like I've got a little way to go, though.

Most impressive..... as usual.

ss_11000
28th April 2007, 02:22 PM
wow:cool:

this looks like it will be one awesome peice:2tsup:

Bill Wyko
29th April 2007, 06:32 AM
The blue/green material is Turquoise, a native rock to the Arizona desert. Hardenfast, if you need any help let me know what I can do. Which books did you get? Malcolm Tibbetts and Ray Allan I hope. Both will be a great help to your efforts. Keep in mind the most important thing is perfect fitting joints but don't squeeze too much glue out or you'll have a weak joint. Also try to make your rings as round as possible and one more thing, align your rings as accuratly as possible. Good Luck in your efforts. Be careful though. I started with a jet mini in December and now I have a Jet 1442 and I'm building a 12x20 workshop and I've spent WAAAYYY too much on tools to fill it. All this from a "cheap hobby" I was told. MAN this stuff is addictive.:no: :2tsup: Better than drugs I would think.:2tsup:

Purpleheart
29th April 2007, 09:42 PM
That looks awsome mate.

On the torquoise, is it what's called reconstituted torquoise ?

Where do you source it from ?

Cheers, and love your work. Ph.

Bill Wyko
2nd May 2007, 06:02 AM
I get it from a company called www.inlaceonline.com (http://www.inlaceonline.com). It's much easier on tools than the real thing.:2tsup:

Hardenfast
2nd May 2007, 07:43 PM
Hello Bill.

With regards to the books I had brought back from US - yep - the two by Ray Allen (A Master's Designs & Techniques for Segmented Bowls & Vessels) & Malcolm Tibbetts (The Art of Segmented Wood Turning) plus a few others. I simply couldn't find them here anywhere. I probably should have bought 4 or 5 of each and sold them over here - would have made tidy profit, I think. Fascinating stuff and a lot to absorb - also a bit of equipment to gather together and to make - eg. a press similar to the one you showed here previously.

Also received my "3 on Mandrell" buffing set and some other goodies from Beall. I'm going to buy a mini lathe to set this up on permanently. I can also see the need to acquire a thickness sander at some stage. Addictive indeed - sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do.

Don't forget to show us some more WIP shots of the monster you're currently working on. I've taken your comments on board re careful fitting & alignment of the layers etc - thanks!. I've actually started on a very simple 3 layer segmented platter as my first ever (ever!) project. I'll post some photos if it turns out as anything worth a mention.

Bill Wyko
3rd May 2007, 03:42 AM
Well I won't be able to finish this one for a little while. Thats actually a good thing because I have to take the time to build a new workshop thats 12x20. When I'm done, I'll have it all to myself and the the LOML gets the garage for her stuff. Then I can bring home the surface sander and the new tablesaw I have on lay-a-way. Finally I'll have all my tools under one roof.:2tsup: