PDA

View Full Version : Where to shop for floorboards?

Hulbs
28th April 2007, 03:47 PM
Hello there,

I live in a remote country town in NSW, and I'm on the hunt for some floorboards. I'm a little confused by all the marketing on the web, and in my humble little town they only have a Boral rep.

My questions are:

1. Are recycled timbers cheaper? (the cheaper the better)
2. How much do I have to pay for quality/durability?
3. Any pointers on where to start looking?
4. What is a reasonable price per m2, and also for installation m2?

I have a thousand questions really, but my main aim is to source a product on the cheap, and not compromise on quality. (I also have to pay to have them put down). I'd very much appreciate any assistance.:rolleyes:

slabman
28th April 2007, 05:23 PM
Hi Hulbs

Um... cheap without sacrificing quality. The best of both worlds is very difficult to attain without gambling! As many project controllers and specifies know, the cheapest price is rarely the best deal.

But if you want to source cheap the best prices are usually found at commercial (as opposed to retail) Auctions. You'll find a mix of timber from different sources - Mills quitting stock they are not happy with, stock from business closing down and even some good stock that was simple "dead" or surplus. You can expect to pay half price or less. But you are unlikely to be given much more than general description of the product to buy on.

Problem is its real "caveate emptor" territory and unless you know your onions you could do well or could buy a floor full of nightmares – i.e. without a moisture meter, knowledge of machining and grading and the opportunity to go through a pack it’s a gamble.

The net is usually no more or less expensive than negotiating a deal with a "real life" as opposed to a "virtual" seller. But you really do need to be careful when buying timber on the net that you understand exactly what is being offered and any add on costs such as handling and haulage. I have had clients buy at more expensive prices from me but with a total price that was cheaper once they accounted for these factors.

Unless you have a lot of time and energy to shop around, you may be best placed to aim for a relatively cheap hardwood (such as tas oak, aussie beech or forest reds) in a low grade (standard or feature for example) and offering a merchant or a mill that will sell direct a no fuss sale - i.e. cash up front, pack lots and very little discussion. You'll likely get a cost + 10% deal and still retain the advantages of a reputable chain of supply.

As for laying and finishing the floor. Prices range from $20 laying and $25 finishing per square meter to as much as $85 per square meter for both. In my experience there are a lot of people who will do the job cheaply but very few that will do the job well. Some of the cheap jobs I have been asked to provide advise on have landed up being very expensive to fix! Your cheapest option is probably to lay the floor yourself providing you can attain a good level surface and fixing method. Then have a reputable sander and finisher complete the job. Often these guys will give you advice on the laying if you give them the finishing job.

Jedo_03
28th April 2007, 09:25 PM
[quote=slabman;502007]Hi Hulbs

Unless you have a lot of time and energy to shop around, you may be best placed to aim for a relatively cheap hardwood (such as tas oak, aussie beech or forest reds) quote]
Hi slabman
I'm in B'Hill too...
these timbers aren't available locally - there are 3 timber outlets in the hill, all only supply crapiata... they will get it up here - but at a price
next city is Mildura - some hardwoods available there. Never found aus beech or any forest reds - plenty of redgum. Bunnies has something called "durian". Bunnies also have Tas Oak - not sure of f.boards though.
Globe Timber and Barrier Timber Supplies had some Baltic Pine f.board a while back. . .
as well as the cost of the timber, it's the frieght that's the killer...
Few months ago I was trying to source some tas blackwood slabs - nearest and cheapest I could find was at Brittans in Melb - $34 lm (that was for rough) and the quote for freight (fright) was over $200 for the quantity I wanted.
Bit too exhorbitant for what we wanted and I made do with some sugar pine salvaged from an old table my daughter no longer wanted (free). Doesn't match the tas blackwood benchtops but kinda complementary.
Best thing Hulbs can do IMHO is to go shopping with a trailer in Mildura or Adelaide and haul it back to the hill. Mildura is a 6hr turnaround. Adelaide is more like 12 or 14 hours turnaround (so probly overnight) - so that would cost an extra $200 in fuel and motel. Wait til yur going to Adelaide or Mildura for s'thing else and hitch the trailer on...
Hulbs: The WW show is on in Adelaide in July. . . look in the yellow pages for new and recycled timber guys in Adel - there are a number, and take your trailer.
Jedo

glock40sw
28th April 2007, 09:36 PM
G'day.
I don't know how far B/Hill is from Tamworth, but you could have a yarn to the blokes at Enterac.
They source Hardwood flooring from us for use in new shearing sheds they build all over NSW.
They could get you any specie you need from us.
We do all hardwood species in Select, standard or Pioneer grades.

I have had blokes come down to the coast with their own truck and pick it up themselves.

slabman
28th April 2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Jedo and Hulbs

It sounds like the suppliers in your town don't try very hard. There is a strong network of mills and agents on the eastern seaboard that can supply merchants with almost anything. Glock would probably be aware of most of these. The varieties I mentioned were only some examples of the lower priced timbers that any merchant can access if they choose to make the effort (i.e. a single phone call to a major timber agent).

In your area you may be lucky and find a producer of River Red Gum floor boards as you are very close to Red Gum country (in fact River Red Gum flooring is one of cheapest reds I source for our clients). But from my last trip out that way I did not come across any producers of dried and machined flooring, most of the mills in the area south and west of you used to be sleeper cutters or green mills.

Transport may not be such an issue though, its a matter of volume and from which center the timber has to come (Melbourne is a difficult route for Broken Hill). But transport from an Adelaide or Sydney source may be less of an issue. If you do choose to tow enough timber to lay a house full of flooring from Adelaide, pack lengths and weights not to mention the wear, tear and added fuel costs may make a $200 to $300 freight bill seem reasonable. Try a local transporter who services the region, these often provide very good services at sound rates. In our region OJs provides this type of service and is amazingly inexpensive and on the ball. When I next book transport I'll ask our transport providers the best companies to service Broken Hill from Sydney.

Cheers
Slabman

Frank&Earnest
28th April 2007, 10:34 PM
Hi Hulbs. Been there, done that. The best value for money I could find here in Adelaide, phoning around as an ignorant DIY person, was Baltic Pine and European Timber 08-8444 1888. Bought Jarra, Tas Oak and Baltic Pine, they have cubic Kms of the stuff.

Cheers
Frank

Jedo_03
29th April 2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for that info Frank
Whereabouts are they to...
Jedo

Tankstand
29th April 2007, 10:17 AM
Yes, Thanks frank. I hadn't heard of them before.

I found them Here (http://www.balticpine.com.au/)

Ramps
29th April 2007, 10:51 AM
There is acres of recycled Jarrah going begging over here in the West (many linear km's goes to the tip as the cost of return compared to the pull up cost is not worth while).

Why I tell you this is because if you're not in a hurry and can organise a trucking company to backload the stuff you could get it there very/quite cheaply as many return empty.

I believe they're chucking it into seacontainers straight out of the houses and fumigate as they shut the doors on the way to China!!! nails and all. figure :no:

Pantherx
29th April 2007, 05:25 PM
Recently laid 42 sqm of North Coast spotted gum (130x19mm) with a friend who had a secret nail gun.

Worked out to $85 per sqm (including getting someone in to sand & 3 coats of poly-ureathene). Pretty straighforward job.

Timber was $59.40 (std grade) per sqm from
WJ Timber (Sydney - ask for Marc)
Ph: 02 93888896
mob 0411 757 582
Great service. Delivery was $320 from Sydney to Bulli (NSW) area.

These guyz had the best price I could find online and via auctions like
Ebay
Graysonline
Lawsons
Even my local suppliers couldn't match it !

Jedo_03
29th April 2007, 05:36 PM
Yes, Thanks frank. I hadn't heard of them before.

I found them Here (http://www.balticpine.com.au/)

Thanks tankstand - I'll be paying em a visit
Jedo

Jedo_03
29th April 2007, 05:40 PM
G'day.
I don't know how far B/Hill is from Tamworth, but you could have a yarn to the blokes at Enterac.
They source Hardwood flooring from us for use in new shearing sheds they build all over NSW.
They could get you any specie you need from us.
We do all hardwood species in Select, standard or Pioneer grades.

I have had blokes come down to the coast with their own truck and pick it up themselves.

Thanks Glock
but...
lets see... Dubbo is about halfway betwixt BH and Tamworth...
Dubbo is 8 hours drive East of BH...
Long way to Tamworth
Thanks very much anyway
BTW there's LOTS a good timber hereabouts - just nobody mills it...
jedo

Jedo_03
29th April 2007, 05:44 PM
There is acres of recycled Jarrah going begging over here in the West (many linear km's goes to the tip as the cost of return compared to the pull up cost is not worth while).

Why I tell you this is because if you're not in a hurry and can organise a trucking company to backload the stuff you could get it there very/quite cheaply as many return empty.

I believe they're chucking it into seacontainers straight out of the houses and fumigate as they shut the doors on the way to China!!! nails and all. figure :no:

Hi Ramps
Interestingly - I bought my TS and 6" long jointer from Timbecon (Perth) with a combined weight probly over 400kg - and the fright over to me in BH was only $161. . .
400kg recycled Jarrah at that price fright would be okay - eh...
Hedo

erm... Jedo

SilentButDeadly
30th April 2007, 03:59 PM
Jedo...

Ring Hank Rossgregor at Wilson's Scrapyard in Cabarita (between Mildura and Wentworth) on 03 5025 2871.

He sourced us a quantity of used 108x19mm eucalypt floorboards for $3.30 lineal metre. He also seems to have access to a regular supply of other floorboards - new or used. Certainly has a few bundles of Jarrah decking shorts from time to time for a rather reasonable price

He's worth a yarn but his customer service is somewhat unique (something you might be used to in the Hill). It certainly helps if you know what you want.

He can organise frieght and I wouldn't mind betting he'd deliver too (for a big enough load).

He's not open Saturdays though. But he's there from early on Sundays.

Jedo_03
30th April 2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks very much S-but-D
Never knew about that one...
Only 3 hours from me... Only $50 fuel
Whoopee
I'll phone tommorra (Fi remember...)
Many thanks
Hulbs hasn't been back since his original post
He might see this too... It was floorboards he was after
Jedo

SilentButDeadly
1st May 2007, 10:55 AM
If you are driving past Yelta on the way to Cabarita then you may find it worthwhile to drop in on the Merbein Sawmill too. Lots of loverly red gum.......

Jedo_03
1st May 2007, 07:51 PM
thanks S&D
Keep meaning to call in there - turnoff beside the palm tree place and "model airplanes". Last umpteen times we've been down there we've gone the Dareton-Buronga route...
Now added to the list
I take it yur a local then...
Many thanks
Jedo