PDA

View Full Version : my first go at sketchup

ss_11000
28th April 2007, 06:52 PM
got bored today:rolleyes: and couldnt do any ww because my parents were out:( so i surfed the forum before deciding to download sketchup.

i done the online tutorials ( the basic ones ) and found them fun so i decided to do a similar thing without any help. attached is the end result ( kinda finished, i have to do the inside but i got to figure out how first. )

not sure i will use it very often but its there for when i need it:D . although i think i will have to do a few more tutorials before being able to design turned items. (does any one know of any? )

cheers

ozwinner
28th April 2007, 07:02 PM
Not bad, but your pool need more depth, literally....:U

Al :2tsup:

McFly
28th April 2007, 07:39 PM
Good stuff Stirlo.
You can set your drawing units to mm if you like by: Window > Preferences>Template (metric millimetres 3D). If you do this you can then make drawings to precise measurements by entering values in the box at bottom right of the screen. For example to draw a door 2000x800mm you choose the rectangle tool, click the starting point then move the cursor in the direction of the door shape and enter the values of 2000,800(then enter). This will draw a rectangle of the exact measurements you want.
Sorry if you know this already.:wink:

ozwinner
28th April 2007, 07:41 PM
Good stuff Stirlo.
You can set your drawing units to mm if you like by: Window > Preferences>Template (metric millimetres 3D). If you do this you can then make drawings to precise measurements by entering values in the box at bottom right of the screen. For example to draw a door 2000x800mm you choose the rectangle tool, click the starting point then move the cursor in the direction of the door shape and enter the values of 2000,800(then enter). This will draw a rectangle of the exact measurements you want.

Keep the tips coming, thats one I didnt know.

Al :cool:

ss_11000
28th April 2007, 07:43 PM
Good stuff Stirlo.

i knew how to change it to mm, and i thought it was set on it ( in the start up wizard i set it to mm ). i didnt know you could enter the values though.
thanx mate for the tip.

thanx Al, when i get back to it i'll fix it up.

cheers

Landseka
29th April 2007, 09:09 PM
For example to draw a door 2000x800mm you choose the rectangle tool, click the starting point then move the cursor in the direction of the door shape and enter the values of 2000,800(then enter). This will draw a rectangle of the exact measurements you want.

When I do this I get a rectangle about 1/4" x 1/8". By zooming in to the max I get it almost to a size I can work with.

Any idea why?

Neil

ozwinner
29th April 2007, 09:34 PM
When I do this I get a rectangle about 1/4" x 1/8". By zooming in to the max I get it almost to a size I can work with.

Any idea why?

Neil

Use the man that appears in the initial window to get your scale, once you have your scale, delete the man.

Al :)

martrix
29th April 2007, 09:40 PM

Any idea why?

Neil

Not sure exactly what you mean. Can you post the file?

ss_11000
30th April 2007, 04:39 PM
Use the man that appears in the initial window to get your scale, once you have your scale, delete the man.

Al :)

is that all that the guy does?
i would never have thought of using him like that:) thanx al

cheers

ozwinner
30th April 2007, 05:13 PM
I love the way you can draw an object next to one you have already drawn, or so you think, and when you pan, the new object is way over in the paddock. :doh::doh:

Al :U

Harry72
30th April 2007, 06:42 PM
So Stirlo is that your new workshop?

ss_11000
1st May 2007, 03:53 PM
So Stirlo is that your new workshop?
i wish:2tsup: ...one day it will hopefully be bigger and better:rolleyes:

Wild Dingo
2nd May 2007, 05:42 PM
So how do you make these skp files into jpeg which are easier to handle and not so friggin massive?... yes before I celebrate ive had another burst at this thing... but if I cant shrink the sodding thing Im gonna have to delete it :C

martrix
2nd May 2007, 06:23 PM
So how do you make these skp files into jpeg which are easier to handle and not so friggin massive?... yes before I celebrate ive had another burst at this thing... but if I cant shrink the sodding thing Im gonna have to delete it :C

Hi WD, do you want to just post a jpeg?

Go into File> Export> 2D Graphic> give it a name and save it.

Then resize it as normal for posting pics here.

Wild Dingo
2nd May 2007, 07:08 PM
Okay I'll give it a go

Very simplistic... but anyways... more questions to come :doh:

Okay that seems to have worked for this exersize :2tsup:

Big Shed
2nd May 2007, 07:45 PM
WD, how come you didn't render those machines in orange?