PDA

View Full Version : problem with sketchup...

ss_11000
28th April 2007, 10:12 PM
hi guys..

i decided too make a sketchup version of the cd tower i made in year seven. as it is now, nothing is to scale:- , it will be later though.

the only difference between the sketchup version and the real one is:
the real one has routed bits at the top and bottom. i cant figure out how to do routed work on sketchup yet. ( is it possible? )

so could some one please tell me how to do it:cool: ...

cheers

martrix
28th April 2007, 10:22 PM
hi guys..

i decided too make a sketchup version of the cd tower i made in year seven. as it is now, nothing is to scale:- , it will be later though.

the only difference between the sketchup version and the real one is:
the real one has routed bits at the top and bottom. i cant figure out how to do routed work on sketchup yet. ( is it possible? )

so could some one please tell me how to do it:cool: ...

cheers
hey stirlo, do you mean like a bull nose (round over) profile on the edges?

ss_11000
28th April 2007, 10:27 PM
hey stirlo, do you mean like a bull nose (round over) profile on the edges?
i've got next to no knowledge about router bits so i dont know the name:- it rounds it over a little then curves back out.

but looking at the carbatec site has made me remember...its a double ogee bit. ( i think ) http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=240_9390_9481_9530

martrix
28th April 2007, 10:50 PM
something like this?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44905

ss_11000
28th April 2007, 11:01 PM
yep..exactly like that

how did you do it?

greenie launched

martrix
28th April 2007, 11:34 PM
yep..exactly like that

how did you do it?

greenie launched

I did it using the "Follow Me" tool. Once you get a grasp on how it works, you can use it to do heaps of things.

Try this.

Draw a square where you want to start the profile. It just makes drawing the outline of the curves easier.

Once you've done that, you can draw the shape you want using the arc tool.

When you're happy with the shape, rub out the 2 outside lines of the square, and you should be left with the curved shape.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44906

Now go into Tools and click on Follow Me. Click on the face of the shape once and then drag it along the line you want it to follow. It will do the mitres itself.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44907

ozwinner
29th April 2007, 08:47 AM
A greenie from me too.

Al :2tsup:

m2c1Iw
29th April 2007, 10:05 AM
Ah....so thats how you do that I've been grapling with linking a face using components it's difficult to select correct point when you start to get multi components and filling when using follow me. How do you work that?

martrix
29th April 2007, 11:59 AM
Ah....so thats how you do that I've been grapling with linking a face using components it's difficult to select correct point when you start to get multi components and filling when using follow me. How do you work that?
Not sure what your question is. Try rephrasing your problem?

m2c1Iw
29th April 2007, 12:11 PM
Sorry, not very clear when reread. I hav'nt worked out how to get a fill on multi face components. There is an interesting review of sketch up here
http://www.benchmark.20m.com/reviews/AtLast_SketchUp5/SketchUpReview.html

martrix
29th April 2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry, not very clear when reread. I hav'nt worked out how to get a fill on multi face components. There is an interesting review of sketch up here
http://www.benchmark.20m.com/reviews/AtLast_SketchUp5/SketchUpReview.html
Post the drawing/example your having the problem with, someone might be able to get an answer.

ss_11000
29th April 2007, 04:50 PM
thanx heaps matrix!

m2c1Iw
29th April 2007, 04:51 PM
Hey Matrix,
Example is tapered leg 2 sides as a component then try to attach to a table top. Two problems 1. How to fill leg when multi faced. 2. When attaching leg component to top comp. get confused with points when manipulating and placing.
Hope that makes sense
Another dumb question how do you insert a picture rather than attch file?

martrix
29th April 2007, 05:14 PM
Hey Matrix,
Example is tapered leg 2 sides as a component then try to attach to a table top. Two problems 1. How to fill leg when multi faced. 2. When attaching leg component to top comp. get confused with points when manipulating and placing.
Hope that makes sense
like this?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44975

m2c1Iw
29th April 2007, 05:17 PM
Yep, that's it. Guess it's back to the tutorials for me:rolleyes:

martrix
29th April 2007, 05:29 PM
Hey Matrix,
Hope that makes sense

All I did to fill in the face, was to draw over the lines again with the pencil. Go over the square face, and then over the tapered face...all 4 edges.

Not sure how you drew it, but they should have filled themselves in when you first drew them.

I take it there were 2 tapered faces?

If you need to rotate a component either horizontally or vertically, see pic.

To join components with others, click on the point you want to join with the other, and drag it over till it meets up with the corresponding point. If there is no point where you want it to go, just make a point with the pencil or measuring tape.

To save a jpeg, go into File>Export>2D graphic and save it. Then resize as normal.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=44978

m2c1Iw
29th April 2007, 05:35 PM
:2tsup: Thanks mate just saved me hours of frustration. How long you bin playing with sketchup just so I can work out if I have enough patience:wink:
In fact maybe I should just PM you the idea and some rough dimensions LOL

Cheers
Mike

martrix
29th April 2007, 05:39 PM
#Tip

If you are dragging a component over to join up with something else, like a leg to a table top and you need to see underneath, you can rotate the view around so you are under neath the table, then click back on the move tool and it will still be holding on to the original place you first clicked on it.

This also applies to most other tools in SU.

martrix
29th April 2007, 05:45 PM
:2tsup: Thanks mate just saved me hours of frustration. How long you bin playing with sketchup just so I can work out if I have enough patience:wink:
In fact maybe I should just PM you the idea and some rough dimensions LOL

Cheers
Mike

Don't really know, but at a rough, rough guess maybe a solid 20-30hrs.:shrug:

I had never touched a CAD program in my life, until a month or two ago. OK I lied. I did try Autocad once for about 1/2 an hour, but was too technical. SU is so easy.

PM the details if you want. Might be able to do something when I have some lazy time.

ozwinner
29th April 2007, 05:51 PM
Don't really know, but at a rough, rough guess maybe a solid 20-30hrs.:shrug:

I had never touched a CAD program in my life, until a month or two ago. OK I lied. I did try Autocad once for about 1/2 an hour, but was too technical. SU is so easy.

PM the details if you want. Might be able to do something when I have some lazy time.

Same here, I tried the others and couldnt get a hang of them :doh:.
SU is so easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Patience, my son, patience....

martrix
29th April 2007, 05:55 PM
Same here, I tried the others and couldnt get a hang of them :doh:.
SU is so easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Patience, my son, patience....

Yep, if you get stuck with something just walk away from it for the day.....then go back and try again..................or post it here.

You need to let it soak in....once you get it, it is very easy.

martrix
29th April 2007, 06:01 PM
Hey Mike, just saw that you're a Motor mechanic?

Do you know of a sealant called "Dirko"? Is it available here, or can you recommend a good equivalent?

........................stick 'em up, this is a hijack.:minigun: :D

m2c1Iw
29th April 2007, 06:11 PM
Now yu got me on all fronts, be gentle I'm a novice