PDA

View Full Version : Drilling hole in steel stumps?

rhancock
28th April 2007, 10:40 PM
So I fitted a new door to the laundry this week. Then went back to fit the deadlock, only to realise that the deadlock needs more depth than just the thickness of the door jamb.... Normally I'd just drill through the jamb and into the frame, but due to width restrictions, this door jamb is screwed directly to a steel stump.

Now I could take the door out, resize it, refit the door jambs etc. But what I'd rather do is drill into the stump.

So my question: Can I drill a 20mm hole in a steel stump without risking the stability of my house? The stump in question is an internal corner.

Cheers, Richard

q9
28th April 2007, 10:45 PM
I imagine that would be fine.

Wood Butcher
28th April 2007, 10:54 PM
Drilling one 20mm hole into the side of a RHS steel stump is not going to cause any risk to the stability of your house. It sounds like a great way to give one really secure deadbolt!

DJ’s Timber
28th April 2007, 10:54 PM
As q9 says, shouldn't be any probs at all. I would imagine your post is either 75x75 or 90x90 and can say that a 20mm hole will not effect either.

rhancock
28th April 2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys, that was my feeling too, but background is all wood, not steel.

It sounds like a great way to give one really secure deadbolt!
Of course its only a laundry, not something useful like the front door, or the study!