PDA

View Full Version : Nag, nag, nag!

TTIT
29th April 2007, 12:38 AM
While checking out an old growth stand of inland rosewood a while back, I got the idea for this piece but decided it was too hard and I'd look for another species with a fluted trunk instead :shrug: . Problem was, everytime I walked past this piece in the wood-store it would start on me - "Carn ya mug! Ya know what ya gotta do ya wooz. Scared of a bit good ozzie hardwood eh! Weak as a white-ant ya poonce - they won't tackle me either!!!". Bloody smart-???? wood - nothin' worse :~. The only other wood I could find with a fluted trunk was some Bendee but it's not much softer either so I gave in and gave it a shot. There was times I wish I had ignored the bugga - man that stuffs tough!

Pic 1. Nagging loudmouth blank loaded on the stubby :C
Pic 2. Taming the beast
Pic 3. Gluing the tea-leaf-like bark in place with CA
Pic 4. Starting the hollowing with a big saw-tooth bit
Pic 5. Got too greedy with the hollowing and started to lose bark everywhere. Resorted to finer cuts and more frequent sharpening which helped a little.

TTIT
29th April 2007, 12:42 AM
Pic 6. Almost done and this is how it sat on the lathe with a plastic bag over it for 5 weeks while I looked after my late dad's affairs in Coffs Harbour.
Pic 7. A couple of dig-ins while trying to take 'just one more pass' put Big Bertha's shaft into the side and cracked the wall. Heap of CA and some masking tape (no give in it) was in order - wasn't going to give up after getting this far! :doh:
Pic 8. Sanded off what was left of the bark with the Dremel drum sanders to expose the sapwood and power-sanded the whole thing including most of the inside to 400 grit. Sanded to 1000 grit by hand. Changed the shape of the foot too cos I just wasn't happy with it the way it was :shrug:
Pic 9. My favorite bit - the first coat of oil. Mmmmmmmmm! :U
Pic 10. Finito! Cos the top was too fragile to hold in a jam chuck, I cut the spigot off with the bandsaw and power-sanded the waste off the bottom. Trickiest part of the whole thing was making sure I got a good finish on the inside because it was going to be so exposed. Lucky that as hard as inland rosewood is, it actually shear-scrapes nicely and sands really well too. (200 high, 155 wide)

TTIT
29th April 2007, 12:46 AM
And another couple....

DJ’s Timber
29th April 2007, 12:48 AM
:oo: Bloody awesome work Vern. You have pulled that off nicely :2tsup:

Wood Butcher
29th April 2007, 12:48 AM
Beautiful work!!!!

mick61
29th April 2007, 12:58 AM
Very nice work,you would have to be happy with the result.mick:cool:

BobL
29th April 2007, 12:59 AM
Fabulous isn't enough!

Stu in Tokyo
29th April 2007, 12:59 AM
man, you must have some.......... well, I'd be really worried about standing near that sucker when it was spinning :oo:

The results are spectacular :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
29th April 2007, 01:06 AM
Vern she might of nagged but so worth it. GORGEOUS> you should be very proud of that..that is specatacular
Toni

tashammer
29th April 2007, 02:41 AM
me bows at one knee and thinks, "What a bloody ripper".

Wild Dingo
29th April 2007, 03:17 AM
reaction 1... ooooohhhhhhhh yeah drool factor of 10

reaction 2... YERFRIGGINWHAT??? :)(

reaction 3... sigh oh well into the scrap bin start again :cry4:

reaction 4... FLAMINJEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAZUS!!! YERWHAT????

reaction 5... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONT BE MAD YER BUGGAR!! I LIKE YOU!!!

reaction 6... friggit another bloody hospital bloodfest coming up :C :crutch:

reaction 7... mmmmm IF any wombat can do it this one can

reaction 8... YERFRIGGGGGGGGGGGGINWHAT?? NOBLOODYWAY!!! :o

reaction 9... Howdyerdothat?

reaction 10... ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh Drooooooooool :clap:

Final reaction... Yer a friggin allstar flamin legend mate!! :2tsup:

OGYT
29th April 2007, 03:39 AM
Awesome job on that Rosewood, Mate! I like everything about it.
'Cept one....
Won't hold water.
Exceptional perseverance, Vern! Museum piece.

joe greiner
29th April 2007, 04:27 AM
Yowee! Pucker factor at least 10.1.:o Fabulous work.

Joe

KevM
29th April 2007, 07:20 AM
Ripper, bloody beauty, bonzer mate.

Gil Jones
29th April 2007, 07:26 AM
WOW, Vern, that is sure a sweet piece!!
I expect it was interesting turning too.
Very well done.:2tsup:

Sprancis
29th April 2007, 08:34 AM
Good work TTIT.Rosewood is bleeding hard.You want to try some old rosewood with no bark next time.Almost like HSS.Congrats.

Neal
29th April 2007, 08:40 AM
Mate that is right up there with the best (must be to make a lurker come out :2tsup: )

Jedo_03
29th April 2007, 08:50 AM
Magnificent piece TTIT...
Ought to have a name.
Might I suggest "Three Horse"
When anybody asks why you called it Three Horse, you can say - wait for it...
Nag... Nag... Nag...
Jedo

RufflyRustic
29th April 2007, 09:47 AM
Brilliant TTIT!! I'm glad it waited patiently on the lathe for you. That is one awesome piece!!

I must agree with Jedo's name for it though :D

Greenie Fired.

Cheers
Wendy

Cliff Rogers
29th April 2007, 10:01 AM
...Ought to have a name......
Colander girl. :D

BTW... Top job. :2tsup:

dai sensei
29th April 2007, 10:18 AM
Looks fantastic and IMHO better without the bark. Shame about all the waisted CA though.

I am amazed it held together on the lathe as you got the inside turned, especially considering one of those cracks/hollows goes almost the full length.

You have given me plenty to think about with the logs of sheoak I have that look very similar. My last attempt is still drying, and cracking, and still looks crap :- . I keep thinking of turning vases until you get solid wood, but your idea with the holes looks great, and presents more of a challenge.

Thanks for sharing

Simomatra
29th April 2007, 11:37 AM
Nice one Vern

Gather it was not just wispering wood? End result AAA+

ptc
29th April 2007, 11:52 AM
Maloof of turning !

MICKYG
29th April 2007, 01:13 PM
Fantastic ttit, a mickey duck effort

Regards Mike:wink: :wink: :wink:

Twinnie
29th April 2007, 01:52 PM
i dof my cap sir was it as fun as it looked?

Matt

WillyInBris
29th April 2007, 02:15 PM
All I can say is what a bloody marvelous piece of ART, you have done so well, sit back crack one open and enjoy your sunday.
:yourock2:

rsser
29th April 2007, 03:41 PM
Gee, what some guys'll do to escape having to bend a coat-hanger for a thickness check ;-}

Mag-bl**dy-nificent Vern!

ss_11000
29th April 2007, 04:58 PM
what they said:iagree: awesome work mate.:clap:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2007, 06:20 PM
Mate... you suck! :p

Now if you'll pardon us, my green-eyed companion and I are going hunting for fluted logs... :D

Toolin Around
29th April 2007, 06:55 PM
First set of pics I was thinking "this is gonna go bad real fast"

Second set you had me thinkin "hmmm - he might actually get out of this with only minor injuries"

Third set... "Bugger me! you pulled it off"

And the pics only get better. Well done mate!:2tsup:

Now for the the questions.

What's the dimensions

Where can I get some of that wood!

What hollower system are you using.

Harry II
29th April 2007, 07:31 PM
No guts no glory. Your mad. Excellent result, well done!

BernieP
29th April 2007, 07:44 PM
G'Day TTIT

That is beautiful and is a real treasure, congratulations!

Cheers
Bernie

Cliff Rogers
29th April 2007, 09:52 PM
.... (200 high, 155 wide)

...Now for the the questions.

What's the dimensions

I got the first one covered....

The 2nd one is "way out west"

Vern? :2tsup:

Woodlee
29th April 2007, 11:24 PM
And another couple....

Im lost for words but here goes,
Awesome piece .

rodent
30th April 2007, 02:16 AM
If'n you is going to rip into another one may i suggest carbide tools .. I know there not as sharp as hs steel but just for the roughing out it might not rip you up as much .PS .IT'S A BLOODY RIPPER

TTIT
30th April 2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys - makes all the effort worthwhile - very humbling to receive such praise from your peers!

If'n you is going to rip into another one may i suggest carbide tools .. I know there not as sharp as hs steel but just for the roughing out it might not rip you up as much .PS .IT'S A BLOODY RIPPERFound some carbides in the old mans shed but they don't feel like they have much of an edge at all :C and that Rosewood (acacia rhodoxylon for anyone googling it) only gives up shavings to a very sharp edge - but I also found an un-used grinding wheel to suit carbide tools!!!!! :2tsup:Just gotta get around to it now.:;

.....What's the dimensions

200 high x 155 wide (Very observant Cliff :2tsup: )

Inland rosewood - doubt if any of your average timber supplies carry it but there's still a few guy's cutting/selling it for fenceposts out here. It's range is limited mainly to central QLD west to about Clermont.

The first couple of inches I hollowed with the Sorby hollower but then switched to my homemade 'Vernacut' as Hughie christened it which is a cross between the Munro and Proform hollowers. Cutting with the edge at about 45 degrees takes a fine cut but that's all you can hope for with this timber. For the last inch or so, I had to pull out the big-guns - 'Big Bertha' which is just a 3/4" bar of square key steel which I put a short swivel head on that is drilled to hold a 3/8" piece of HSS. The handle is actually made from the tube from a CB100 front fork covered with hard foam rubber and has a movable side handle clamped to it to keep it from rolling. The square shaft can get a bit hairy in a small opening but it helps keep the angle of the cutter stable. At the depth of this piece in wood this hard you really need more control than I had which is why my next project will be a captured rig like Stu has just done - then I'll be able to shut the noisy mongrels up no worries!:2tsup:

Note to Ern - you're right about McJing's HSS (the 3/8" at least) - doesn't hold an edge nearly as long as others!

Toolin Around
30th April 2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys - makes all the effort worthwhile - very humbling to receive such praise from your peers!

Found some carbides in the old mans shed but they don't feel like they have much of an edge at all :C and that Rosewood (acacia rhodoxylon for anyone googling it) only gives up shaving to a very sharp edge - but I also found an un-used grinding wheel to suit carbide tools!!!!! :2tsup:Just gotta get around to it now.:;

200 high x 155 wide (Very observant Cliff :2tsup: )

Inland rosewood - doubt if any of your average timber supplies carry it but there's still a few guy's cutting/selling it for fenceposts out here. It's range is limited mainly to central QLD west to about Clermont.

The first couple of inches I hollowed with the Sorby hollower but then switched to my homemade 'Vernacut' as Hughie christened it which is a cross between the Munro and Proform hollowers. Cutting with the edge at about 45 degrees takes a fine cut but that's all you can hope for with this timber. For the last inch or so, I had to pull out the big-guns - 'Big Bertha' which is just a 3/4" bar of square key steel which I put a short swivel head on that is drilled to hold a 3/8" piece of HSS. The handle is actually made from the tube from a CB100 front fork covered with hard foam rubber and has a movable side handle clamped to it to keep it from rolling. The square shaft can get a bit hairy in a small opening but it helps keep the angle of the cutter stable. At the depth of this piece in wood this hard you really need more control than I had which is why my next project will be a captured rig like Stu has just done - then I'll be able to shut the noisy mongrels up no worries!:2tsup:

Note to Ern - you're right about McJing's HSS (the 3/8" at least) - doesn't hold an edge nearly as long as others!

Do you have a name of anyone I could buy some off.

I made a deep hollower with a 1/2" wide carbide tip. It never really felt sharp but it would last for ever when hollowing (couldn't curl a shaving off the nail when testing). But it was more than enought for Oak. I used to hog our cremation urns with it. I'd remove over 200 cubic inches per urn. I could get through five or 6 before I felt it needed a touch up with a diamond file. I found it actually beneficial that it didn't have a "sticky" edge made it a lot more predictable. I'm regretful that I sold it with another lathe I had years ago.

Grumpy John
30th April 2007, 05:45 PM
Is that 200 mm x 150 mm because it sure looks bigger than that mounted on the lathe?

Cheers
GJ

mongrell
30th April 2007, 07:19 PM
wondered where you were comin from wanting a fluted piece of wood but all was revealed .great work again vern

hughie
30th April 2007, 09:03 PM
Vern,

A splendirferous work of art :U :2tsup: :U

so much so I put a few pics in my inspiration folder :hpydans2:

me thinks its worth a greenie :photo3:

cedar n silky
30th April 2007, 09:48 PM
Great work and persevereance!:2tsup:
When I saw the finished product I thought of "flames". The big angular holes with the contrasting colours remind me of flames licking up the sides! So if I were to name it, I thought of "inferno" or being an ex bushfire fighter, how about "wild fire" or "backburn"!!:D I'm sure you get my drift- It's a credit to ya!:2tsup:

channa
30th April 2007, 10:13 PM
Can't recall a thread that has given me such a buzz. Great work.

powderpost
30th April 2007, 10:36 PM
Very, very well done Vern. It looks beautiful. I did something similar in dead finish, so I do appreciate the difficulties. If you do another one, make up half a dozen rings of 8# fencing wire of varying suitable sizes, solder the overlap (about 50mm) and slip them over the outside and hold the rings in place with duct tape. Give some security and prevents bits flying off.
Brilliant...
Jim

Cliff Rogers
30th April 2007, 11:53 PM
Saw an idea elsewhere today... (good on ya Stu in Tokyo:2tsup: )

The dodgy lump of wood was turned & sanded on the outside & then wrapped in several layers of Glad Wrap or Cling Wrap (not Suran Wrap Stu :D ) for the hollowing process.

Stu in Tokyo
1st May 2007, 05:15 AM
Saw an idea elsewhere today... (good on ya Stu in Tokyo:2tsup: )

The dodgy lump of wood was turned & sanded on the outside & then wrapped in several layers of Glad Wrap or Cling Wrap (not Suran Wrap Stu :D ) for the hollowing process.

Saran Wrap was a brand we had in Canada....

http://www.saranbrands.com/i/img_prod_orig_main.jpg

The stuff I'm using is a LOT thicker than that, I think they call it flat twine, Stretch wrap, or pallet wrap. Comes on a roll, has about 1000' on the roll, cheap and easy to use.

Cheers!

TTIT
1st May 2007, 08:57 AM
Do you have a name of anyone I could buy some off.
Most of the fence-post cutters are just cockies with too many trees and nothing to do so they're not set-up as businesses as such but I know there is one near Westwood that advertises - I'll see if I can find a number for him.

Is that 200 mm x 150 mm because it sure looks bigger than that mounted on the lathe?
Might be the chuck deceiving the eye - it's only a 4".

........ how about "wild fire"
Consider it christened! Works for me too Cedar.:;

Cliff Rogers
1st May 2007, 09:41 AM
Saran Wrap was a brand we had in Canada........ :stirthepot: :D

......... or pallet wrap. ....
Pallet wrap sounds like the go... might have helped save some of the skid marks the last time I lost a piece out of the chuck. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st May 2007, 12:59 PM
The stuff I'm using is a LOT thicker than that, I think they call it flat twine, Stretch wrap, or pallet wrap. Comes on a roll, has about 1000' on the roll, cheap and easy to use.

Ahhh... now I know the stuff. The gear that causes slashed cardboard boxes every time I go to open a new pallet... :~

Caveman
1st May 2007, 05:33 PM
:wts: :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:
Just back from 3 weeks away and trawling through what I've missed out on when I came across this - amazing stuff Vern - really impressive and inspiring. Hope I'm able to turn out something like that someday - still needs loads of practice first though!

ticklingmedusa
3rd May 2007, 06:41 PM
extraordinary!

thetassiebfg
5th May 2007, 12:41 AM
You are one very brave individual..

Then you know more about turning than I do (What's a lathe for again:))

An excellent piece of work and worth all the frights it gave you

Andrew