PDA

View Full Version : Storing paint rollers in the fridge

Tyro
29th April 2007, 04:39 AM
I have learned the trick of storing a paint roller in the fridge between coats/overnight. :D

How long can you store a paint roller in the fridge between coats? i.e. 1 day, 2 days, etc.

Does the type of paint used make a difference?

rhancock
29th April 2007, 08:34 AM
Sounds like an old wives tale to me! I wrap rollers and brushes in cling wrap, and have used them up to a week later.

David L
29th April 2007, 06:05 PM
Don't know about fridge. I wrap mine in plastic shopping bag, the important thing is to keep the air out

ozwinner
29th April 2007, 06:08 PM
Don't know about fridge. I wrap mine in plastic shopping bag, the important thing is to keep the air out

Same here, I have kept one for a week on got it out and re-used it.

Al :2tsup:

bpj1968
30th April 2007, 09:47 AM
I use cling wrap, if doing a caot later that day. I only use the bulk pack from Bunnies, 12 for about $15. If its going to be any longer, i just toss it out and use a new one next time.

Chesand
30th April 2007, 10:10 AM
As above with cling-wrap for over night. Disposable foam rollers if using oil based paints.

bresmith
4th May 2007, 11:41 AM
I wrap my rollers in plastic bags with labels to know which ones which and wrap paint brushes in glad wrap. I kid you not, l have been able to use some of my rollers 4-5 months after going in the fridge. As long as they are air tight the paint doesn't set and they are fine to use.

Sturdee
4th May 2007, 12:35 PM
I just soak them in a bucket of water (hanging on the roller handle on the outside of the bucket) overnight and wring it out the next day. This way they are ready for immediate use.

Peter.

MrFixIt
4th May 2007, 02:23 PM
Hi

Yes, the plastic bag or cling wrap is the way to go.

It is not the temperature as much as the air that dries them out. If you are using acrylic paints then resting them in a bucket of water so the bristles are covered with water will also work for 24-48 hours - in fact I inadvertantly left my brush this way for over a week and it was still ok to use :D

Metal Head
4th May 2007, 04:49 PM
I use cling wrap, if doing a caot later that day. I only use the bulk pack from Bunnies, 12 for about $15. If its going to be any longer, i just toss it out and use a new one next time.

Hi Brian,

I pressume you are talking about the ones that come sealed in a yellow/black coloured bag and they are pink in colour?.

If so I have been told I should wash them out first or they will leave little bits of hair (or something like it) it the applied coats which makes the job look daggy:((.

Cheers
MH

scooter
4th May 2007, 06:36 PM
Good practice with any new roller cover, MH, as I understand it.

bpj1968
6th May 2007, 09:13 PM
Metal head they're the ones I use, i think. AS scooter said, all should be washed out prior to use. I leave them a bit damp, so it doesn't dry too quick in the roller