PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood gunk - how do I...

TTIT
30th April 2007, 02:26 PM
Found a little problem happening with some Rosewood (rose mahogany) lidded boxes I made last year and need some help fixing it. The outsides are as good as the day I finished them with Scandinavian oil but the insides have droplets of hard tacky gunk forming all over the surface:C. I looked like it was weeping something but then I remembered that the box and lid timber came from different sources and some other boxes made even earlier are OK so I don't think it's sap. :confuzzled: I remember my old man made a clock case from Rosewood and he had a lot of trouble with the mechanism clagging up with some sort of gunk until he vented the case top and bottom.
???Could it be condensation of something like a gas??? (airtight lid fit)
???How do I clean it off without discoloring the timber???
???Is there a finish I can use that will stop it happening??? ( I have a LOT of rosewood to finish!)

Toolin Around
30th April 2007, 05:06 PM
Sounds like the oil finish has bled and beaded up as it dried leaving the tacky bumps. Did you give the inside a good wipe after you applied the oil. I've found that happens a lot if the weather is very warm and dry. The oil dries much quicker and if I don't wipe off the oil fast enough it does what you've described.

AlexS
30th April 2007, 07:16 PM
This is a known problem with rose mahogany - I have the same problem with furniture made from this timber. When I get a round tuit I'll have a go at cleaning it up with Ubeaut furniture reviver. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll try next - scraper & refinish perhaps?