PDA

View Full Version : Pen swap Particulars sign up

lubbing5cherubs
30th April 2007, 04:19 PM
HI This is the official sign up

500g satchel of pen blanks

May to sign up with the closing date of the 30th May and 1st of June you will receive your partner (Both DJ and I are going to work on this together)
and you have to the 14th June deadline for the sending out
all the best
First one to the list

ME:2tsup: :B

DJ’s Timber
30th April 2007, 04:24 PM
Me second on the list :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
30th April 2007, 04:28 PM
Also those that responded on the previous thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=48571). Have put ??? next to you soundie as you didn't actually say yes or no

lubbing5cherubs
djstimber
mobrien
Simomatra
Fireman Sam
Touchwood
ScrollZilla
soundman???
bdar
Froggie40
schaf
Brown Dog
Woodenink
Penpal

Brown Dog
30th April 2007, 04:40 PM
Count me in please

cheers
BD:2tsup:

ss_11000
30th April 2007, 04:45 PM
i may be in...i'll confirm at a later date:)
cheers

PenTurner
30th April 2007, 08:10 PM
Amos is also wanting in, thank you Toni and Dj for the effort you are putting into this, Am:) os

Penpal
30th April 2007, 09:47 PM
I would like to take part in the swap for sure.DJ has my details. Thanks Peter

Touchwood
30th April 2007, 10:06 PM
Unless I am struck by lightning/mac truck or other ... I am IN!

:D
JD

Fireman sam
30th April 2007, 10:19 PM
Hi
Iam in for the swap :U :) :D :2tsup:
Andrew

ScrollZilla
30th April 2007, 10:33 PM
Count me in for sure. Looking forward to it.

bdar
30th April 2007, 11:19 PM
Dj
Put me down mate but do me a favour just remind me when it's getting closer. One of the kids I work with told me i was getting old, cheeky little bugger.
Darren

Touchwood
1st May 2007, 12:25 AM
Dj
One of the kids I work with told me i was getting old, cheeky little bugger.
Darren

Just tell him you're like a good port .... getting better with age! :D

JD

bdar
1st May 2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah JD don't mind a nice port I will tell them I have aged like a 20 year old Single Malt Whiskey, smooth and mellow :)
Darren

schaf
1st May 2007, 07:31 AM
Ready to give and receive.Terry

tashammer
1st May 2007, 08:27 AM
the 500 gram satchel - just the one to one person, not to everyone? (i am dumb, i know).

also the contents, mixed or one species? or one slab?:?

DJ’s Timber
1st May 2007, 08:37 AM
the 500 gram satchel - just the one to one person, not to everyone? (i am dumb, i know).

Nuh you're not dumb, dumbs ones are those that don't ask ???.
Just the one on one

also the contents, mixed or one species? or one slab?:?

6 pen blanks of whatever you like, can be mixed or one species

tashammer
1st May 2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks dj , live long & prosper and may the Fartz be with you.

Simomatra
1st May 2007, 09:20 AM
I don't think I need to post but yes definitely in

Penpal (Peter) check your post today an early one on the way

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st May 2007, 12:31 PM
I've been ignoring the swap, pretending it's not happening and hoping you'd all go away! :- But it hasn't worked... :rolleyes:

How long before you need a definite yea or nay?

DJ’s Timber
1st May 2007, 01:13 PM
closing date of the 30th May and 1st of June you will receive your partner

Here you go Skew, you've got a whole month to contemplate this :2tsup:, I will be consantly bumping this up when it gets quiet so these no escaping it :roll:.

You know you want to do it :q, it's only $5.10 :doh:. If you start putting 20 cents away each day from now :2tsup: you will have the money once its time to post them off :;

lubbing5cherubs
1st May 2007, 04:02 PM
Skew I been wondering when we seen you here..LOL
Toni

Terry B
1st May 2007, 04:42 PM
Toni
Is this to supercede the existing penswap or to compliment it?

lubbing5cherubs
1st May 2007, 05:34 PM
Total no corelation with the other swap
this is just a way to swap around some blanks
Toni

bdar
2nd May 2007, 11:48 PM
Bump:)

bdar
4th May 2007, 01:06 AM
Just some info on postage to overseas for the pen blank swap. Dj and I touched on it about keeping postage under the 2 kg to send, and if you get an international partner, remember that they will incur similar postage fees as well. Some may say duh about the last comment, but I have been involved with several swaps on the American pen forums and you can bet your life that you always get one complaining about postage. On that point heer is what it cost me the other day, a Sierra in a case to Mississippi $8.50, .079g, a box of blanks to Texas $30.10, 1.203kg an 2 boxes of blanks to Alabama $35.50 for each box. One weighed 1.336kg and the other was 1.308kg. These prices were aimail prices. So 6 blanks in a scatchel to America will not cost all that much and the post bag should not be over 500g.
Darren

tashammer
4th May 2007, 03:27 AM
goodone Darren, thanks for that mate :)

Brown Dog
4th May 2007, 09:05 AM
Just some info on postage to overseas for the pen blank swap. Dj and I touched on it about keeping postage under the 2 kg to send, and if you get an international partner, remember that they will incur similar postage fees as well. Some may say duh about the last comment, but I have been involved with several swaps on the American pen forums and you can bet your life that you always get one complaining about postage. On that point heer is what it cost me the other day, a Sierra in a case to Mississippi $8.50, .079g, a box of blanks to Texas $30.10, 1.203kg an 2 boxes of blanks to Alabama $35.50 for each box. One weighed 1.336kg and the other was 1.308kg. These prices were aimail prices. So 6 blanks in a scatchel to America will not cost all that much and the post bag should not be over 500g.
Darren

G'day fellas
Air mail to the States for a package 250-500g will cost $13.90 + plus what ever you choose to send it in.....not too bad:)

For Anyone interested this is the Aus post International postage calculator

http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/int_parcel.asp

cheers
BD:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
4th May 2007, 09:42 AM
Alright rather than having any complaints if you really can't afford international or don't want to state so we will drawer each lot seperately
hth
Toni

DJ’s Timber
6th May 2007, 12:17 PM
:bump2:

Penpal
6th May 2007, 02:35 PM
I am nominating two exchanges one in Australia and one in another country. That is for me. Peter:2tsup:

Touchwood
6th May 2007, 11:22 PM
Presume you got my PM Toni, I'm happy to do international if that helps.:D
JD

lubbing5cherubs
6th May 2007, 11:25 PM
yes I did thanks I am sorry been busy
Toni

Simomatra
7th May 2007, 09:32 AM
I am also more than happy to do international or local

soundman
7th May 2007, 03:19 PM
I've just found this thread.
Yep Im in if its still flying

Simomatra
7th May 2007, 05:36 PM
Did some cleaning up in the yard today of dead plants from the drought. In doing so I cam across a tree that I had cut and layed to rest in the bark garden.

Off to the shed and put it through the saw and low and behold it had some beautifull colours and some spalting in it.:2tsup: :2tsup:

So this will be part of what I have for trading plus some burl pieces

lubbing5cherubs
10th May 2007, 10:16 PM
Gidday

Freindly bump

Plus SOundman nice to have you with us.

Sounds good sam. BUt how do you get spalting
and burls interesting.
Toni

soundman
10th May 2007, 10:49 PM
you shouldn't have any problem with burl as long as its clean.

cheers

Simomatra
11th May 2007, 09:07 AM
Gidday

Freindly bump

Plus SOundman nice to have you with us.

Sounds good sam. BUt how do you get spalting
and burls interesting.
Toni

Hi Toni

Is this what you are looking for
SPALTING

http://www.sticksite.com/spalting.jpg

"When most woodturners refer to spalting, it usually means an introduction of dramatic color or black into specific grain lines. This is sometimes produced by mold growth in live or cut wood, insect infestation, or various types of wood disease or rot. A lot of turners try to create situations which mimic the "natural" occurrence of spalting, as some otherwise "plain" timber can have a startling visual effect when spalted. Spalting can include myriad forms and colors, depending on the wood, the cause, the chemical elements introduced, etc.

One problem with true natural spalting is that it is a form of decay, and can leave very "punky" spots in an otherwise dense wood vessel, leading to sanding nightmares for the finished piece. People with mold allergies can react negatively while turning and finishing it, also.

soundman
11th May 2007, 10:33 AM
yeh but the problem with spalting being a fungal desease and/or decay of wood, our quaranteen are likely to burn the stuff on the spot.

the information states
clean healthy timber

cheers

Simomatra
11th May 2007, 12:52 PM
The spalting is allready in Oz so no worries I don't know if the OS people in the swap can import

Fireman sam
11th May 2007, 07:24 PM
hi all i know that we are sending 6 blanks but what size are we cutting them and what length :? and i will send over seas if required as i would look forward to seeing what types of timber would be sent :2tsup: :2tsup:
Andrew :) :)

DJ’s Timber
11th May 2007, 07:37 PM
I reckon we stick with an approximate size of say 19mmx19mmx135mm or in seppo size 3/4"x3/4"x5 1/4"

Fireman sam
11th May 2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks DJ
Andrew

lubbing5cherubs
26th May 2007, 05:48 PM
freindly bump..last week to get in if interested
Toni

Allan at Wallan
27th May 2007, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Love to join in the pen blank swap - could be fun
and rewarding.

I AM NOT AT ALL WORRIED ABOUT DYING
... JUST HOPE I AM NOT THERE AT THE TIME.:U

cutterwoodjoe
27th May 2007, 01:40 PM
I would like to get in also if possible Thanx ~ Joe Pozzi

lubbing5cherubs
27th May 2007, 01:45 PM
all possible nice to see you here JOE
Toni

Simomatra
27th May 2007, 06:23 PM
I will be away when it is time to post so hopefully I will be able to see the forum

My blanks are all together and I will leave with my wife to post

BTW when is the draw for your partner to take place?

Just weighed mine 6 blanks are 250 grams. Qusestion are we doing six blanks or 500 grams? Must be age catching up with me.

lubbing5cherubs
27th May 2007, 06:26 PM
Sam we will let you know for the 1st of June.
Toni

Simomatra
27th May 2007, 06:37 PM
Sam we will let you know for the 1st of June.
Toni

Toni I will be gone by then just need to know 6 blanks or 500 grams so I can leave it all packaged.

I have light blanks and heavy ones but six only weighed in at 250 grams

DJ’s Timber
27th May 2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Sam, I think we should keep it at 6 blanks, cause some blanks are heavier than others and that should make sure that we keep the cost fairly uniform to just limiting ourselves to just the 500gm satchel.

I have also updated the list, so those that are not on the list below need to let us know

lubbing5cherubs
djstimber
mobrien
Simomatra
Fireman Sam
Touchwood
ScrollZilla
soundman
bdar
Froggie40
schaf
Brown Dog
Woodenink
Penpal
Allan at Wallan
cutterwoodjoe

Simomatra
27th May 2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks DJ

Then mine are all ready to post

Thanks to you and Toni for doing the business

ScrollZilla
28th May 2007, 01:29 AM
G'day Y'all,
I sure am getting itchy with this one. I have my blanks picked out, dusted off and ready to go.

Cheers,

Rick

mobrien
2nd June 2007, 12:04 PM
Bump.....

So as far as I can work out, we should be ready to go.... Toni/DJ - you organising the list or do you need a hand?

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
2nd June 2007, 01:12 PM
sheesh this slipped my mind now I will get on to it..sorry guys
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
2nd June 2007, 01:14 PM
draw being done soon then you can swap addresses with your partners
Toni

DJ’s Timber
2nd June 2007, 02:37 PM
Okey dokey, after much debating and with Toni's kids using a very complicated system that is far beyond our capabilities :o and myself drawing names to match up with Toni's kids list, we have come up with this list, it will be up to you to now PM each other and organise addresses and details.

1. Allan at Wallan - Penpal
2. Fireman Sam - ScrollZilla
3. lubbing5cherubs - soundman
4. Simomatra - djstimber
5. Brown Dog - cutterwoodjoe
6. bdar - Woodenink
7. Schaf - Froggie40
8. mobrien - Touchwood

So the deal is to have 6 blanks to be posted in a 500gm Satchel (http://www.auspost.com.au/GAC_Image_Metafile/0,,2233,00.jpg) and you will receive same from your partner. For those sending overseas, you can also get an international prepay satchel (http://www.australiapost.com.au/GAC_File_Metafile/0,,2882_500g_prepaid,00.jpg). As for those overseas, you will need to source your own parcels from your local post office.

So start sending those PM and get cracking

Simomatra
2nd June 2007, 05:13 PM
Well done Toni and DJ as well as Toni's kids

This is a great thing we should do it maybe quarterly. what do you think?

We need also to expand the OS content.

Come on we have plenty out there

Fireman sam
2nd June 2007, 10:14 PM
:brava :hooray: :clap: :clap2: :welldone: thanks toni & DJ and tonis children you have done a great job
Andrew

lubbing5cherubs
2nd June 2007, 10:59 PM
Sam sounds good a quarterly swap nothing like getting new wood or etc. Should be fun.

Thanks for the praise but it was great to be able to give back to you guys that help me out so often with my dumb questions so I am happy.
Toni

DJ’s Timber
2nd June 2007, 11:09 PM
often with my dumb questions

Toni the only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked, so your questions are the smart ones :2tsup:

cutterwoodjoe
2nd June 2007, 11:41 PM
I'm excited Thanx all for doing this, Toni a big hug to the kids for the help ~ Joe Pozzi