PDA

View Full Version : Laptop batteries

Daddles
30th April 2007, 10:19 PM
Toshiba laptop. A bit over 12 months old. Battery worked well until the christmas holidays ... when I left it plugged into the power for a few weeks (with kids underfoot, she weren't getting used that much). Prior to that, I'd use her on battery until the battery died, then use her on power until the next day when I did the same thing - battery lasted over an hour. Now, after the long cook, she lasts about ten minutes on power and that's it, even after a recharge.

I've tried turning her on until the battery dies, then recharging but this doesn't help, even when doing it regularly over a wet, boring saturday afternoon.

So, I've got a battery that only lasts ten minutes ie, I don't have a bloody battery, which defeats part of the purpose of having a lap top. Any suggestions? Please? Help? :-

Richard

glock40sw
30th April 2007, 10:37 PM
G'day.
search on ebay for a replacment battery.
That's where I get mine from.
If not, call Batteryworld for new one or a repack.

Daddles
30th April 2007, 11:12 PM
That's what I thought and if so, it's pathetic. Sheesh, the old battery in my ancient Toshiba (it's a pentium 100 and barely runs win95, that's how old she is) still holds a 1.5 hour charge, even with similar abuse.:(( (okay, I'm probably lucky, but I find it hard to believe the battery industry can't do better)

Richard

soundman
30th April 2007, 11:13 PM
RIP battery.:C
No saving one thats gone that far.:no:

cheers

Cliff Rogers
30th April 2007, 11:29 PM
2 things.... (3 actually... that battery is now cactus)
Toshiba Batteries now days are cheaper than they were when you got you old Toshiba.... this means that,
1. They are cheaper than the old ones.
2. They not worth as much as the old ones.

That battery is now cactus, a new battery pack, even genuine, will cost less than $100.:2tsup:

Ianab
1st May 2007, 08:11 AM
And look on the bright side... it went out with a wimper.. not a blaze of glory as some newer ones seem too :oo:

Ian :wink:

squashedfrog1
1st May 2007, 09:17 AM
Mate,

Its gone.

Batteries from the big name elec stores cost a mint.

I purchased one from this mob, http://www.battery-charger.com.au/laptop_battery/index.htm

Service was good, package arrived as promised within 2 days. A fraction of the price quoted by the big name stores.

Online is the way to go for a new one.

But batteries just dont last. Even my new lappy battery is showing signs of slowing down after only 6months. Any one that invents a better battery will be a wealthy man!

SF

MurrayD99
1st May 2007, 01:22 PM
Errr.... extended warranty or just a standard 12 months one?

Toolin Around
1st May 2007, 01:48 PM
2 things.... (3 actually... that battery is now cactus)
Batteries now days are cheaper than they were when you got you old Toshiba.... this means that,
1. They are cheaper than the old ones.
2. They not worth as much as the old ones.

That battery is now cactus, a new battery pack, even genuine, will cost less than $100.:2tsup:

Could you point me to a seller that with prices that low. I have an HP with a dead battery. Tried to go local and the guy at Battery World hit me with a quote for $250. Found a place in Brizzy for $150 plus shipping for an after market.

Cliff Rogers
1st May 2007, 01:53 PM
Errr.... extended warranty or just a standard 12 months one?
Toshiba warranty doesn't cover batteries after 12 months.

Cliff Rogers
1st May 2007, 01:54 PM
Could you point me to a seller that with prices that low. I have an HP with a dead battery. ....
Not HP... :no:

bsrlee
1st May 2007, 11:11 PM
I take it you've given it the Siberia treatment -overnight or 24 hours in the freezer, then thaw out?

You can repack your own battery pack if the casing is not welded shut - some of the re-pack companies just use a 'hot knife' to cut the plastic casing open, replace the cells & use a hot air plastic welder to close the case - works OK until you drop it on the floor, but that can wreck a new battery too.

Daddles
2nd May 2007, 10:44 AM
Hadn't tried the Siberia treatment - it's not as though it's going to make it any worse :doh:

I'm hanging off buying a battery at the moment because I'm looking at buying a notepad style word processor - been messing about with my Dad's old Amstrad NC100 while I taught it to talk to his desktop computer, but AlphaSmart make a nice looking unit brand new. Sure, they only produce txt files with formatting no more complicated than paragraphs, but that's okay, I only want the thing for writing when out and about. They run for ever (700 hours is claimed for the AlphaSmart) on three AAA batteries, weigh a fraction of what my laptop does and seeing I'm carrying the thing around in the panniers of my push bike, less likely to upset me too much if I toss the bike into the weeds again.

Ahh decisions, it's fun making decisions ... when they are about new toys :D

Richard

lesmeyer
2nd May 2007, 12:34 PM
Could you point me to a seller that with prices that low. I have an HP with a dead battery. Tried to go local and the guy at Battery World hit me with a quote for $250. Found a place in Brizzy for $150 plus shipping for an after market.
EMPR (www.empr.com.au) sell genuine HP and Toshiba batteries. Just bought a Toshiba battery for my son. Their prices are good.
Regards
Les